Okay here's the deal: I have a Pod X3 Live (got it used & cheap) and I've been doing some recordings with it straight to the computer through the USB. Now I've come to think that I'm not satisfied with the audio quality, IMO it's not like a real studio quality. It isn't horrible, but slighly muddy and so on.

What could I do to improve the sound quality? Should I get some audio interface to work with it?
IT could be your output speakers,cabs,amps whatever.
Last edited by Gingernutsjonny at Dec 6, 2009,
Quote by mpalin
Okay here's the deal: I have a Pod X3 Live (got it used & cheap) and I've been doing some recordings with it straight to the computer through the USB. Now I've come to think that I'm not satisfied with the audio quality, IMO it's not like a real studio quality. It isn't horrible, but slighly muddy and so on.

What could I do to improve the sound quality? Should I get some audio interface to work with it?

That's your problem. A basic computer's sound card is not designed for recording. If you go to the Riffs & Recordings forum, there are millions of threads about improving recording quality. Check out the stickies in there.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
That's your problem. A basic computer's sound card is not designed for recording. I.

hmm odd, I thought if I put it through USB it has nothing to do with my sound card.
Quote by mpalin
hmm odd, I thought if I put it through USB it has nothing to do with my sound card.

It doesn't come in through your sound card, but your soundcard is involved in letting you hear it. Do CDs or internet videos sound muddy? If not then, it's not the card.
Quote by jetwash69
How are you adjusting the EQ right now?

well I don't have a specific eq right now, I usually cut just the highest levels out and the lowest too... TBH I'm just fiddling with the eq these days, I'm quite a newbie still...
Quote by mpalin
well I don't have a specific eq right now, I usually cut just the highest levels out and the lowest too... TBH I'm just fiddling with the eq these days, I'm quite a newbie still...

OK, let me re-phrase that. Do you have software on your computer to adjust EQ? I'm not sure what software the POD comes with normally (did you get it with your POD?). Also, although I have experience with the GNX4, I'm not experienced with a POD, but I'd think you could adjust EQ on the POD, too.

EQ will be the key to getting rid of the muddy tone.
when recording the podx3 via USB. your internal soundcard is bypassed entirely. which is why you monitor yourself with headphones or whatever you have lined out to the pod.

if you're finding your tone is muddy or whatever, then you'll need to re-adjust whatever settings you have on your pod. a good place to start is just select whatever amp model you like, and pair it with whatever cab model suits your fancy. tweak from there, until its clear, punchy and powerful.. (or whatever you're going for). The pod doesn't react exactly like a real amp obviously, so a splash of extra highs and presence is usually in order to bring it out of the muffled zone.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.