Well right now I am looking for a new acoustic guitar, upgrading from a yamaha f325 that came in a the gigmaker pack. 500 is the most i could spend and right now I've been looking at the Epiphone Masterbilt series and the Segull s6 and yamaha FG730 or LL6. What is the significance of having solid backs and sides? I've heard many good things about all these guitars but I've read some things of Epiphone not having good build quality. Please inform me on what i should be looking for in these acoustics. Any other suggestions of guitars under 500 would be great
If you are looking for an acoustic-electric guitar, be hesitant with Epiphone (I can't really speak for those other brands), the electronics in their acoustic-electrics tend to break easy (but usually in ways that are also easy to fix yourself on the fly). Although they sound decent for a cheaper acoustic brand, but again I can't really say anything specifically about that Masterbilt series.
Need a website? I can make you one for pretty cheap.
Last edited by Lukesterspy at Dec 6, 2009,
epiphones i've tried - and that's a lot of them - aren't as good quality as seagulls or yamahas and they don't sound as good. seagulls and yamahas both have good build quality, nice finishes and good sound. my first question would be whether you prefer a narrow or wide neck.

i find the seagulls to be brighter than the yamahas, and a bit woodier, too. the seagulls have a bright but silvery sound, and a bit more bass. yamahas are gloss, seagulls at this price range are semi gloss, or if you go with the entourage series, flat. if you can find 'em, you might also want to try the blueridge guitars in your price range. they have more bass and a martin-y sound. and if you want to go for all solid, i've heard a lot of good things about recording king guitars, which can be found for under $500 with a bit of shopping around.

http://www.instrumentalley.com/Recording-King-RD-26-Classic-Series-II-Guitar-p/rd-26.htm
v neck

http://www.instrumentalley.com/Recording-King-RDC-36-Acoustic-Guitar-Dreadnought-p/rdc-36.htm shallow c neck
if you could up the budget to around ~590, you could get one of the Seagulls maritime series. I'm planning on getting one of those sometimes around Christmas. I just love everything about seagulls, all solid wood, great sound, great quality, great design.

the Epi. Masterbilt series are good too. I was considering one of those before I was set on the seagulls.

the Yamahas are good, but I found that for the ones that I played the sound was too metallic and bright and flat...maybe it was the strings, so I don't know. But I didn't like them, save one that was alright.

Back and sides are not a top priority...ok in a way they are. But the sound of the guitar is not 100% dependent on these. the Seagull S6 can easily out perform any all solid wood you put on its path. I made a thread about this less than a week ago, check it out, it might answer some questions.

Just go to your store and try out guitars in these brands and see which one you like best. But in my case, I'd definitely go for a seagull.
i really liked the sound of the yamaha fg730 - lots of life and sustain. in fact, i bought one after trying lots of guitars in this price range, but found the neck was too narrow. i exchanged it for a seagull s6, which also has a nice sound. both sound even better with silk and steel strings - tames the brightness a bit and adds warmth.

if i was buying a guitar in this price range now, i might try a recording king 000 due to the englemann spruce top (i prefer the sound of englemann), wider nut and all solid body.

i don't like the masterbilts. i think they got a fast rep because they were a low priced all-solid guitar. to me, they have an inferior sound for an all-solid guitar, and i've seen three with belly bulge and one with a lifting bridge. i've read a lot more threads on other boards about lifting bridge issues with masterbilts. seems like their quality control isn't on the ball.
there are different shapes on the back of guitar necks. the v and c are the physical shape - the v necks are a little bit the shape of the letter v and the c necks are the rounder shape of the letter c. most v necks aren't that drastic but i prefer a c myself. that being said, i'm probably going to buy a recording king parlor early next yea even though it has a v neck. the v isn't a big deal and the guitar sounded so amazing i'd hate to miss out over the shape of the neck.

it's not just recording kings. all necks are a c or v shaped. martin has a lot of v necks, btw.

Quote by FrancisTheGook
With those recording king guitars, what are the V neck and C necks?
The recording king seems really appealing with it's price and all solid, but the closest dealer is in NYC for me, and thats a little more then how far my parents would go for a guitar i believe, so right now I'm looking at the Yamahas and Seagulls since i can try them out. My local store also has some Alvarez's i believe, are there any models worth looking into under 500?
EPIPHONE GUITARS SOUND LIKE LAMINATED TOILET PAPER.
IT SOUNDS HORRIBLE...

if you want a very good guitar, all of the guitars that i own are either Fender, which i regret, and Ibanez, (7 of them) ibanez is the best brand for guitars as they are all handcrafted and have the best quality. i would say get the ibanez 12 string SGT122 Sage series, it has the best sound by far, and is only about $140 at american musical supplies if you call them and order through the phone. tell them you found a pricematch for $140 and theyll match it.

summing it all up, go to american musical, get an ibanez 12 string acoustic guitar, it sounds good, and itll save you lots of $$$.

take my advice, it is by far the best sunding guitar i have.
Equipment
Fender-Squier strat
Huntington Acoustic
Ibanez SGT122 12 string
Handmade Cajon Drum
Ibanez EW20ANST <-- my baby

I'm not really looking for a 12 string, but i do have an Ibanez AS73 electric, but I still need to get it set up as the frets are buzzing.
not surprising. ibanez make poor quality guitars, putting their focus on visual appeal rather than sound or build quality. fender also aren't great guitars, although personally i find that their solid top models are better than ibanez.

Quote by FrancisTheGook
I'm not really looking for a 12 string, but i do have an Ibanez AS73 electric, but I still need to get it set up as the frets are buzzing.
Don't get me wrong I love the guitar and there are no flaws whatsoever, but I got it completely brand new as my mom insisted I get a newly opened one rather then the actual one i tried in the store, I was annoyed because she didn't understand that the new one wasn't going to be set up.
Back on the subject of acoustics, what is the significant difference of the Yamaha FG730 and the Yamaha LL6?
the 730 has a sitka top, the LL6 has an englemann top, and i always prefer englemann myself. the LL6 has a mahogany/rosewood neck, and the 730 has a nato neck, nato not sounding as good and only being used on cheaper instruments. i suspect that another difference is the bracing, which has a big difference on the sound of a guitar - more than the woods in most cases. the people i know who have played both always prefer the LL6's sound.

Quote by FrancisTheGook
Don't get me wrong I love the guitar and there are no flaws whatsoever, but I got it completely brand new as my mom insisted I get a newly opened one rather then the actual one i tried in the store, I was annoyed because she didn't understand that the new one wasn't going to be set up.
Back on the subject of acoustics, what is the significant difference of the Yamaha FG730 and the Yamaha LL6?
IT SOUNDS HORRIBLE...

if you want a very good guitar, all of the guitars that i own are either Fender, which i regret, and Ibanez, (7 of them) ibanez is the best brand for guitars as they are all handcrafted and have the best quality. i would say get the ibanez 12 string SGT122 Sage series, it has the best sound by far, and is only about $140 at american musical supplies if you call them and order through the phone. tell them you found a pricematch for $140 and theyll match it.

summing it all up, go to american musical, get an ibanez 12 string acoustic guitar, it sounds good, and itll save you lots of $$$.

The fail is strong with this one.
i cant speak for steel strings, but yamaha classical guitars are quite badass
Quote by Thundergiant97
IT SOUNDS HORRIBLE...

Anyway, Recording King makes great budget instruments. Another lesser-known awesome cheapie brand is Walden.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
On public transport I furiously masturbate while trying to make eye contact with as many people as possible for as long as possible.
Last edited by i_don't_know at Dec 6, 2009,
Quote by Thundergiant97
IT SOUNDS HORRIBLE...

This doesn't really qualify as spam. Just ignorance...
I can't warn for ignorance, but... Just wow.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
hmm how about the Segull 25th Anniversary as i see Captivate has one. I can get one off of ebay but the only problem is I wouldn't be able to play it.
It's a great guitar, without a doubt. If you like extreme clarity in sound with a strong fundamental, you'd be hard pressed to find a guitar as well built for the price. The sound lacks in richness because of the maple side/back. The maple 25th Anniversary comes with electronics.

You could also look into the spruce/mahogany 25th anniversary that comes without electronics.

Either way, I still wouldn't suggest buying a guitar without trying it. You need to know for sure that you are getting a guitar that suits you.
Equipment:

Quote by FrancisTheGook
hmm how about the Segull 25th Anniversary

I've got one. I'm very pleased with it.

The Seagull 25th Anniversary edition (spruce/mahogany) was more or less the basis for Seagull's subsequent Solid Wood Series (SWS) line of guitars, but with a few additional (mostly minor cosmetic) frills.

The Seagull S6 is often regarded as being more or less comparable to the Yamaha FG730s. Not identical - they each have their own strengths and weaknesses - but overall roughly "as good," to the extent that "as good" has much real meaning in this context. The 25th Anniversary edition is a step up from the standard S6 - the most obvious difference being that the Anniversary edition features solid wood throughout, and not just a solid wood top. (This isn't the only difference. It's also got scalloped bracing, an upgraded glossy finish, better binding, mahogany sides/back vs. cherry sides/back, etc.) Maybe the solid woods will result in the Anniversary edition aging better than the S6. Maybe.

Of course, it's also more expensive than the S6 or the FG730s.

I don't regret buying mine, but I wouldn't have been at all unhappy with a "plain" S6, had my budget limited me to that price point. The S6 is a heck of a guitar. I played an S6+ GT (cedar) a couple of weeks ago that had remarkably good sound. The fellow got it for $325 on craigslist, but it was in like new condition, and included a hard case, a Korg tuner, and a couple of packs of Elixir strings.

Had my budget stretched to $750, I'd have seriously considered a used Martin D-16GT (also solid spruce top and solid mahogany sides/back), but it would have been a tough call. But my budget didn't stretch to $750, so I didn't have to choose between those two. Rather, my budget topped out at around $500, and after playing a bunch of guitars in that price range, my favorite was the Seagull 25th. That I was able to buy a new one for a ridiculously good price just sealed the deal.

I would add that I find the Seagull 25th to be a visually attractive guitar. I know that sound and playability are all that should matter, but if I can get looks too, so much the better. Of course, I know some people hate the looks of the Seagull headstock. To each his own, right?

I happen to like the 1.8" width (which is Seagull's normal width). But honestly, a tiny fraction of an inch either way just isn't all that big a deal to me. Going from 1.8", to say, 1 3/4" (1.75") or 1 11/16" (1.69"), isn't any big deal - it means the strings are a hair's width closer together. It takes about 2 microseconds to adapt. But hey, that's just my take on it; it you feel differently, so be it.

Seagull's "specialty" is arguably cedar topped guitars. But the company knows how to do justice to spruce tops, for sure. I like both cedar and spruce, but if I have to choose one for all 'round play, I'll probably pick spruce. Of course, other players may find cedar more to their liking. It'd be a boring world if all guitarists had identical preferences.

If you want a Seagull, and you'd like an all solid wood guitar, and you can pick up the anniversary edition for less than the regular SWS series Seagull, but it. By rights, the anniversary edition should sell for more than the non-anniversary, but for whatever reason it doesn't always work that way.

Like I say, if I were in the market for a guitar for $750 or more, I might or might not have gone for the Seagull 25th Anniversary, since particularly if buying used there are some very fine guitars available for $750 or so. But for $500, the Seagull 25th Anniversary edition is hard to beat. And for $300 and under, I'd probably pick a used S6 over anything else out there.
--
Michael
What is the importance of the saddle material because apparently the Yamaha LL6 and FG730s both come with plastic saddles, and thats not good?
The saddle is very important. You can't upgrade many things on an acoustic guitar to improve sound, but the saddle makes the most difference of the things you can change. The saddle is the energy transfer point between the strings and the body of the guitar.

Plastic saddles are probably the cheapest and worst compared to other materials that are used on acoustic guitars due to it being a softer material. Next up is TusQ(man-made ivory), then cow or ox bone, and at the top is Fossilized Ivory.

Upgrading to fossilized ivory is cheap. I upgraded my saddle from TusQ to Fossilized Walrus Ivory for about $45. Don't let saddle material be a make or break kind of thing. If you're interested in upgrading, just search up Bob Colosi Guitar Saddle on google and he should come right up. Quite a few members on this forum have bought from him and it's been a VERY worthwhile upgrade.
Equipment:

If I were to upgrade the saddle it would be best to leave it in the hands of a guitar shop right?
Probably. I did mine by myself, but I eventually brought it to a shop to have a proper setup done anyway.
Equipment: