I'm buying a Marshall jcm 800 through eBay it's 50 watts and is from 1987 and in wondering if this amp has enough distortion for van halen, guns n roses, aerosmith and bands like tht? Or would it be better to have a distortion pedal in front
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
It is pretty much THE AMP which everyone would recommend you to get for the tone you want.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I don't think I really need a distortion pedal right? I was just playin it safe and asking still not sure tho and does anyone know what the mkII stands for? Cuz this is a jcm 800 mkII
Quote by GibsonSG25
I don't think I really need a distortion pedal right? I was just playin it safe and asking still not sure tho and does anyone know what the mkII stands for? Cuz this is a jcm 800 mkII

You won't need a distortion pedal but an Overdrive pedal might be worth having. MKII just means it was the second incarnation. Like Mesa Mark I, II, III, IV, V.

Killer amp...have fun.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 6, 2009,
what do you mean by second incarnation? are the mkii okay or would it be better to get the other ones
It means that it's a second generation. It's a great amp.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by GibsonSG25
I'm buying a Marshall jcm 800 through eBay it's 50 watts and is from 1987 and in wondering if this amp has enough distortion for van halen, guns n roses, aerosmith and bands like tht? Or would it be better to have a distortion pedal in front

It'll be great for that.

That's crazy! I have a 2210 from 87. Is yours a 2204 or 2205?

But most people always have a OD pedal to tighten it up.

Edit: I'm pretty sure mine is an MKII but it might be a MKI.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Last edited by Weeping_Demon7 at Dec 6, 2009,
i see, is there really much of difference? cause for example the older 80s jcm800s r amazing while the reissues rnt really the same n dont sound somewhat different is it like that?
Quote by GibsonSG25
i see, is there really much of difference? cause for example the older 80s jcm800s r amazing while the reissues rnt really the same n dont sound somewhat different is it like that?

Anything from 1995 back is going to sound amazing. (Generally)
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society