View poll results: Basses or Amps?
Basses
44 65%
Amps
12 18%
I like either
12 18%
Voters: 68.
So which do you like better? Obviously an amp isnt much use without a bass, but which do you like to talk about more, GAS over more, and just generally like more.
For me, finding the right amp is a hard thing to do, and If I could, Id probably have more amps than basses. Give me a six string Ritter jupiter and a five string Warwick streamer and Im set for life.
I choose amps.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Amps are where most of your tone comes from too.
I personally GAS over amps more, but i'm always
on the search for a perfect feeling guitar ;]
basses. The look, the feel...

Amps just kinda sit in the corner and break occasionally.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Basses, I can be set with one or two good amps forever, but I just love collecting basses, modding them, building them, much more then obtaining amps
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Basses. I'm fat, and always looking for a way to look sexier on stage. I've been on bass renting sprees, recently.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
I hardly ever GAS over amps, I'm good with having one good amp that I can dial in any tone I need from. Basses though, I cant get enough of trying them out/ playing them. I mean, I'm sure everyone here has run into a bass that they've said "oh man, that thing has the sweetest tone for Jazz ever" or "wow, this bass is just metal" and wanted to own both.
I'd say basses. It sounds shallow to say, but mostly for the aesthetic feel of it. I've seen plenty of guitars in shops and just said "holy hell, I want that" without even trying it because it looks awesome. I'm happy with my amp now, so a new bass is what i would focus on first.
Given that you tend to be a little more intimate with a bass than and amp, I'll have to say bass. It has that feelgood factor that I cant go past.
Quote by LordBishek
Vibrators, Schmibrators. They can't ignore my girth.
Basses definitely, for all the reasons said above.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
used to be much more of a bass thing.

loving amps right now though. picked either.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Basses - look incrediblely sexy

Amps - Aesome, very important and cool - look like a box

Vs.

Last edited by Captain Insano at Dec 7, 2009,
lol at Metal Gear pic^

As for me, I love nothing more than to spend an afternoon playing my amp...

No, basses. An amp may supply "99.9999999999999%" of my tone, but if I play crappy on an unfamiliar or uncomfortable bass, my tone will suck on a rick through Ashdowns, much less the stuff I can afford.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
I'm a bass man, but I'd rather have MGS that Jessica Alba ....

Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Quote by gilly_90
I'm a bass man, but I'd rather have MGS that Jessica Alba ....

I'm not entirely sure, but are you from adelaide.
i would rather have a wide veriety of amps/cabs/preamps/effects and i'd be perfectly happy with only 4 or 5 basses
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by Bass First
I'm not entirely sure, but are you from adelaide.

Is that your answer to everything I say?

and if we're being technical; I live in Adelaide, but I'm from England
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Jessica Alba or a box?

what would I need Jessica Alba for? I know I need boxes. it's Christmas time. bad example.

a better answer would be, do you want a tower, or a monitor, mouse and keyboard?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

^ Really great example.

I mean. I have more basses than amps, but I spend more time tweaking and messing around with my amp settings than anything else.
Last edited by c3powil at Dec 7, 2009,
amps, they make me feel like ive got a bigger penis than i actually have.
If I had a ton of money I would probably collect more amps than basses at first then collect an equal amount of either. There's just something a lot more intimate about a new bass than a new amp, though.

Oh, and then I'd get a TON of pedals...
Quote by gilly_90
Is that your answer to everything I say?

and if we're being technical; I live in Adelaide, but I'm from England

Only an adelaidian would choose a box over jessica alba.

@humanity's example, without either, the computer won't work.
You can still play a bass without an amp.

My example would be, Phone or charger, you can still use a phone without the charger but eventually you'll need one. And a charger is no use without a phone.
Right now I'd like to be finishing my amp off, but I'm gasing after neither a nive multi fx would be infinitely handy right now...
I am me. Live with it.
i can GAS over anything if i like it xD.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
I'd actually say I'm more of an effects guy, but I guess out of the two, I'm a bass guy. I don't use amps all that much anyways, but then again, I've only got a 10 watt practice amp, so I sort of need to plug into the PA to be heard.
Quote by Bass First
Only an adelaidian would choose a box over jessica alba.

@humanity's example, without either, the computer won't work.
You can still play a bass without an amp.

My example would be, Phone or charger, you can still use a phone without the charger but eventually you'll need one. And a charger is no use without a phone.

then wtf is this?

ACOUSTIC COMPUTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Jonas Hellborg Amp counts for more basses than can fit in a TBers living room.
Thats a lot of basses, mind you.
i collect both amps and basses because some basses have better tone with different amps.
Jackson DXMG With SD Blackouts
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez GSR205EX
Acoustic B200H W/ Acoustic B410
Peavey Vypyr 30
Ive plugged into so many amps over the years and tried different basses. Really most of the tone comes from the bass, your attack and the way you play. You can get a good tone out of almost any amp.
If I had enough money I'd buy a bunch of basses and a different amp for each of them. But I'm not a millionaire so this won't happen =(. But I would probably pick basses.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Quote by the humanity

then wtf is this?

ACOUSTIC COMPUTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

**** you got me.

But who cares about macs anyway :p
While I voted bass it was a pretty close call. Nothing can beat going into a shop to try out a ridiculously expensive hi-tec or vintage bass (or guitar for that matter0 ...

... BUT I really want to have a huge 8x10 stack in my room, sos that I can drown the sound of the godwads down my road out completely on a Sunday morning.