Poll: Which one should I get?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which one should I get?
Pickups
2 25%
Equalizer
6 75%
Voters: 8.
So I have enough money to buy either one of these two, but I can't make up my mind, so I've come to you GG&A experts for advice. I can either buy a nice pair of pickups (my guitar is just begging for a swap) or I can buy an EQ pedal, which is a must with a Valvetronix amp. Which one of the two should I get?
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Schecter C-1+ with SD '59/Custom 5
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
What sort of guitar do you have? What are the stock pickups? What's your budget?

If you have a decent guitar already, then buy pickups, but if your guitar is meh, then get the EQ because it's not worth tossing an extra 200-300 bucks into a crap guitar.
^Ah, I should have included that in my first post. It's a Schecter C-1+, the stock pickups are Duncan Designed HB-102s. My budget is around ~$130.

Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
Get an EQ MXR 6-band or 10-band are nice. DOD FX40B is a good option and saves you money. But I'm not sure which one you would want. whats the budget?
As far as I know, the VT doesnt have an effects loop (correct me if I'm wrong), so the EQ would probably not be as effective as if the VT did.

I'd say pickups because I know how much they can change your sound, although this is just my opinion.
duncan designed pickups are fine, there obviously not the best but i'd keep em and get a EQ.. the MXR ten band EQ pedal is a good one, if you have a really tight budget, danelectro fish n chips.
get an eq first, it will give u more options. The duncan designed pickups are not so bad. I believe an eq will be ur best option for now. The pickups make a difference but not so much with a valvetronix my 2cents
go with the eq. pickups will make you sound better, but the eq will give you the opportunity to make the pickups you have already (which aren't bad to begin with) sound even better, and you can tweak your sound more. if you had shit pickups it'd be a different story.. you can make decent sound better, but you can't really make shit sound better..
R.I.P. Dime Bag Darrell!
member#13 of the official lindsay lohan fan club
Member #20 of the Nirvana Fan Club
Quote by Mills7794
Get an EQ MXR 6-band or 10-band are nice. DOD FX40B is a good option and saves you money. But I'm not sure which one you would want. whats the budget?

The fact that the 10-band only runs on power supply is an issue with me (unless I'm wrong and it runs on batteries too), but then the 6-band wouldn't offer me as much control as the 10-band would.

I was thinking something more along the lines of the Boss GE-7, though I'd prefer the MXR if it wasn't for that one issue.

As for the pickups, it's not that the stock ones are bad, I dislike the neck pup which sounds too bassy/muddy to me, and I just wanted a pair of pups that would fit my playing style better.

Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
Last edited by cxrlxscr at Dec 6, 2009,
OK, what are you unhappy with your tone?

Between an EQ and pickups, the EQ will give you greater sonic flexibility than a pickup change would.

I'm not sure about your specific guitar, but unless you have muddy pickups which lack clarity, the EQ would be the better investment for now.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
OK, what are you unhappy with your tone?

This.

Although the Valvetronix are budget-oriented amps, they can be very good for the right styles. If you've got one of the bigger models it's well worth considering a speaker upgrade and other little tweaks to fine-tune your sound.

If you're not already fairly happy with your tone, neither pickups nor pedals will make a big difference.
Quote by kyle62
This.

Although the Valvetronix are budget-oriented amps, they can be very good for the right styles. If you've got one of the bigger models it's well worth considering a speaker upgrade and other little tweaks to fine-tune your sound.

IMO, I'm not sure so many upgrades are well worth the effort and money on a modelling amp.

Sure the upgrades make a distinct difference, but I think he'd be better off saving for something better.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
IMO, I'm not sure so many upgrades are well worth the effort and money on a modelling amp.

I agree wholeheartedly, but the VT series is the one exception I'd make - it really can sound excellent in certain scenarios.

Of course, you should always go and test out some more expensive gear before making any decisions about upgrading, to give you some reference.
Quote by kyle62
I agree wholeheartedly, but the VT series is the one exception I'd make - it really can sound excellent in certain scenarios.

Of course, you should always go and test out some more expensive gear before making any decisions about upgrading, to give you some reference.

Personally I find that entry level modelers are really for people to find their feet.

They’re great for what they do, but eventually everyone grows out of them. I mean I kinda feel that my upgrade investment on my Spider Valve (SV Pre) is kinda pointless after I got my Krank Rev Jr Pro and my MkV.

I’ve not tried a Vox VT for more than 2 hours at a time. I think they’re good for what they do, but they tend to have that brit sound.

Oh well, different opinions I guess. Still its much better than the Spider III.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )