So, I'm looking at getting one of these pedals, and I was after some advice from people who have had the oppurtunity to try both, or own one of them. Pros and cons would be nice.

Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
are you sure you need that many options in dirt? i personally would rather invest money into two or three dirt boxes that get the sound i want versus a larger pedal compensating a large amount of sounds.
Quote by The_Bosstone
are you sure you need that many options in dirt? i personally would rather invest money into two or three dirt boxes that get the sound i want versus a larger pedal compensating a large amount of sounds.

Yeah, I've looked at that sort of option quite thoroughly, and it isn't really viable for me, as I play several different sorts of music that require many different types of dirt sound. This will also work out a lot cheaper for me, rather then grabbing a whole bunch of seperate pedals.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I agree with The_Bosstone. I have the Boss OD-20 right now and I can't wait till I can buy something thats better quality.

What kind of distortion are you trying to get (Metal, Classic Rock, etc)?
Is there something wrong with your amps distortion?
Quote by bokma
I agree with The_Bosstone. I have the Boss OD-20 right now and I can't wait till I can buy something thats better quality.

What kind of distortion are you trying to get (Metal, Classic Rock, etc)?
Is there something wrong with your amps distortion?

There's nothing wrong with my amps distortion, I just want more options, as it is somewhat limited in it's application, and to be honest, I prefer using stompboxes for my dist sounds and leaving the amp clean, thats just a personal preference.

In terms of the sounds I was after, I play metal, indie, and shoe gaze and post-rock, the latter two styles are the primary reason I was looking at a multi effect, as they traditionally use vast quantities of dirt boxes, including the rat, and muff, and since I can't afford to buy them all seperate, I thought I would grab one of these and cover them all at once.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
well...

vintage big box rat - $130
musket fuzz (muff w/ three more options including mids control) - $150

these two pedals could get you all the sounds you want (i play the same stuff, and it will definitely work ).

but if you really want to get a multi-effects, i'd get a line 6 m9.
Quote by The_Bosstone
well...

these two pedals could get you all the sounds you want (i play the same stuff, and it will definitely work ).

Will it also get me an Opeth style metal tone, and a Bloc Party style indie tone as well?

EDIT: Also, I'm in Australia, so prices are somewhat higher here.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by Boogie Man at Dec 6, 2009,
Quote by The_Bosstone
well...

M9 costs way too much if you ask me. I mean I know that the individual boxes are $250 a pop, but when you compare it to the M13, why not shell out the extra $100 for the extra stuff it has.
I have a huge fear if rays.
Just to be clear, I'm not looking for a MF that does all my effects, just one for dist sounds, hence, why I'm looking at the OD20 and the DM4

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
okay well, od-20 is pretty crappy. dm4, i've never tried, but i suggest you try it out before considering it.
Some say the DM4 sounds digital. The Edge from U2 liked it so much he had it built into a rack for him.

Try it out I suppose
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Tone Wicker Big Muff
Squier VM Jazzmaster
Superfuzz/ RAT/ OCD /DE7/ Spring Chicken/ DL-4
Vox AC15C1/ Ampeg Jet 12T/ Guitar Rig
Quote by walruscore
Tone Wicker Big Muff

Absolutely useless post.

The OD20 doesnt sound too nice.

Beyond that im not too helpful here.
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Sguit
Tech 21 sansamp tri-ac

This is probably your best bet. Although from videos I've watched of the M9 and M13, the sounds from the DM4 seem pretty good. I wouldn't imagine there's much difference between them.
I have a huge fear if rays.