What will it cost (approx.)?
I've got basic ideas on the materials and shapes and other little tidbits of info that I'll post. But can someone give me an estimate?
The materials I plan on using are:

Body: Rosewood (Basic LP shape since it's my first build)
Neck: Wenge
Fretboard: Ebony
Frets: 22
Pickups: DiMarzio DP100 Super Distortion Pickups
and cheap (yet with decent quality) everything else.

Any very rough estimates?
Thank you for any responses.
I have no sig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, do you have any tools to work with wood? Or do you plan to do all by hand?
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Quote by guitarcam123
Definitely not going to be cheap if your having a solid rosewood body.

Yeah, rosewood is expensive as hell. Just use mahogany.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
depends on how nice you want your guitar to look.

ebay stuff.
maybe you should get single coils for your first build like i am :P
But you should photoshop/ms paint a mockup, find all of the templates and all that.
You just LOST the game >: P

After years of extensive research at Yale, it is determined that the game does not, in fact, exist.
use a rosewood f-board, nuthinbuttrubl8 sells them. i'm ordering one. much less costly than ebony, and you'll have to stain it to get black anyway.

my advice is if you wanna cheap out do it on the pots as they're easy to replace. just get them from gfs or something. get a good bridge tuners and nut, you're sound with thank you.

also, buying fret wire in bulk is much cheaper in the long run, even though it'll cost a little more for the first build.
Quote by blandguitar
most ebony isnt uniformly black, it usually has white spots

white? no.
Brown and gray? yes.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by blandguitar
use a rosewood f-board, nuthinbuttrubl8 sells them. i'm ordering one. much less costly than ebony, and you'll have to stain it to get black anyway.

my advice is if you wanna cheap out do it on the pots as they're easy to replace. just get them from gfs or something. get a good bridge tuners and nut, you're sound with thank you.

also, buying fret wire in bulk is much cheaper in the long run, even though it'll cost a little more for the first build.

$6 is costly?
That's the difference between the two from where i get them.
I would not cheap out on the pots personally.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by blandguitar
i've seen pics of it with a white/cream splotch. but still, you have to dye it one way or the other

There's loads of different ebony species and not all need to be died black.
Your talking about either Black and White ebony, striped ebony, or macassar ebony etc.

For example, African/ Gaboon ebony and Madagascan ebony are generally pitch black.
Last edited by guitarcam123 at Dec 6, 2009,
Quote by metalwarrior40
$6 is costly?
That's the difference between the two from where i get them.
I would not cheap out on the pots personally.

i mean preslotted, everywhere i've looked it's usually at least a difference of at least 10. then again, i don't build at this point.

thanks for the info on the wood
Price difference over here is only $5. Or 2nd grade ebony is the same price as rosewood. All preslotted.
Quote by Frets-On-Fire
What will it cost (approx.)?
I've got basic ideas on the materials and shapes and other little tidbits of info that I'll post. But can someone give me an estimate?
The materials I plan on using are:

Body: Rosewood (Basic LP shape since it's my first build)
Neck: Wenge
Fretboard: Ebony
Frets: 22
Pickups: DiMarzio DP100 Super Distortion Pickups
and cheap (yet with decent quality) everything else.

Any very rough estimates?
Thank you for any responses.

The first thing on your list should be: book. Without a guide on how to deal with guitar specific build problems (e.g. what neck angle will you use? How will you do the carve?). Speaking of carve, a domed top, like a Les Paul, isn't the easiest thing to do. I am not sure if you were planning on doing that? As for the angle, you can always do a bolt on.

Wenge isn't the cheapest wood to buy online, unless you have a local supplier. I picked up some flawless pieces for around $40 a body blank at a local dealer, but online I've seen it go for a lot more.

I'd estimate $200 for the wood you will need if you do some searching and accept B stock. $15 frets, $40 tuners, $140 pick ups, $25 bridge, $10 nut, $15 pots, $15 electrics (wiring, jack etc), $10 switch. Total: ~$500. If you intend to do everything high end double that number. My latest guitar cost around $1100, but I used top grade everything.

Also keep in mind you might need some tools if you do not have a properly stocked workshop. A ball-bearing router bit will set you back $15, sanding paper $15, MDF template pieces $10 etc. But if you need a router, sanders, (possible a planer) etc. you will be easily up another few hundred.

Read thrice, measure twice, cut once.
This is full of help guys.
Thanks. I'm still planning and those materials were subject to change.
And as for the body shape...It's not exactly like a Les Paul, just similar.
And I have plenty of tools and woodworking experience.
I have no sig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what kind of pickups and bridge and other hardware we looking at
"To love someone is to see him as God intended him"