I have a 5-string bass. my band is switching to drop c tuning. because of the nature of the songs its alot easier for me to be in drop c tuning instead of B standard (if thats what its called) so i can go from the open string to a higher fret insead of playing the 1st fret then quickly jumping to the higher frets. how would i go about tuning a 5-string to drop c?
Thinner gauge strings and a set up is what I'd suggest

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Actually no. You want the same guage. Or heavier, depending on how heavy your bands music is. Drop C tuning goes, from thickest string to thinnest, like this: C, G, C, F, A.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Actually no. You want the same guage. Or heavier, depending on how heavy your bands music is. Drop C tuning goes, from thickest string to thinnest, like this: C, G, C, F, A.

You are aware that tuning from B standard to drop C means that he has to tune up, not down, right? That means that he needs thinner strings to reduce the amount of tension on the neck.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
I think the B to C would be ok with tuning up, since B strings are usually a bit floppy and you're only tuning up 1 semitone. The other strings might give you some problems, since you're tuning up 3 semitones on a string that's already fairly tight. Best case scenario, your strings are still going to be physically harder to play. Worst case, a lot of bow in your neck, and broken strings.

You may be better off tuning your 4 highest strings to drop C (so, B C G C F) or tuning to drop A (A E A D G) and putting a capo on the 3rd fret.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
Last edited by Mephysteaux at Dec 6, 2009,
a lot of people like GCGCF, but that would annoy me
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
GCGCF is my choice for playing in Drop C, though for the low G, you'll likely need to buy a separate .145 string - maybe even a .175.

I sometimes play in ACGCF too, though since the A and C are only 3 intervals away, it makes the A string somewhat useless for anything other than octaves.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
I personally can't stand the way the Low B sounds when it''s tuned up to a C, it just sounds to thick. I think it sounds so much better tuned GCGCF.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
You could just play around BEADG, or you could tune to GCGCF, or you could get a 4 and just tune that to CGCF

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by Deliriumbassist
I'd go down to GCGCF. It sounds and feels perfectly fine with 45-135, as fully tested and approved by myself and Ryan Martinie.

Agreed. D'Addario sells a set of strings that has a heavier B, E, and A, while the other three (six string set) are regular gauge. I use this to tune down to Drop B on my six string and I have no problem with it. My low B is tuned to a G#, by the way.