So, I'm writing my causal argument paper in class tomorrow, but I'm having trouble figuring out my causal chain

I want to focus on materialism as the cause of spiritual decline in modern day America, but I don't know where to start, without being too remote.

For all of you who don't know what a causal chain is, here's an example.

Playing violent video games leads to school shootings (whatever)

Kids are left alone all day because parents work
Kids play video games
Kids put feelings of resentment and lonliness into game
Kids relate to violence in video game
The realism of modern games blurs the barriers of reality and fantasy
Kids enjoy the satisfaction of the violence and associate with the sociopath hereoes
Kids reenact violence in real life.

So I'm trying to go along the lines of parents wanting the best for the kids- and their taught that college is important because it makes you money, which makes you happy, but along the lines personal development is cut off and all the while spiritual self is ignored and it leads to an entirely banal life; which is the cause of the rise in divorce and "mid-life crisis" and the rise in suicide, and the decline in religion.

BTW, this isn't a pro-religious argument, but Western society has developed out of religion because of all the negative happenings in Europe; like the crusade and inquisitions and everything like that- which has led to materialism, to replace it.

But I can't focus one idea, because I could go all the way back to the beginning of mankind and our selfishness narcissistic need to be a god-like figure, but I think that's too much

I don't know- I'm very sporadic, so jsut throw something at me
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
Western society is given freedom to express themselves.
Biased publishings are put out, manipulating the minds of Americans
People make rash decisions on these papers or news stories

I don't know, it's too hard
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
yeah it is, but I need more generic steps, that follow in a consecutive order, like the example I gave, my mind is just a blank.
Quote by TDKshorty
yeah it is, but I need more generic steps, that follow in a consecutive order, like the example I gave, my mind is just a blank.

I think people are more exposed to the internet, and people post their thoughts more on the internet than they do in real life, so more people are exposed to it, and they base their thoughts around it. You could also do something about how much the human race has regressed in the past 30 years, base it around that. I don't know, just throwing out ideas of HOW it happened, but I can't think of steps of how. It's been a long day at work, you understand.
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by brandon369852
I think people are more exposed to the internet, and people post their thoughts more on the internet than they do in real life, so more people are exposed to it, and they base their thoughts around it. You could also do something about how much the human race has regressed in the past 30 years, base it around that. I don't know, just throwing out ideas of HOW it happened, but I can't think of steps of how. It's been a long day at work, you understand.

yeah I understand, haha
I've been working on this since before Thanksgiving, trust me, I can't think of anything1
Quote by TDKshorty
yeah I understand, haha
I've been working on this since before Thanksgiving, trust me, I can't think of anything1

Just switch to the violent video game one, you have a good one for that.
Follow me on Twitter
Unhappiness in the people, caused by anything
People look to money because of what they see in the media (the things that make them insecure, or engender greed) because they believe that with that money they can buy the goods they desire, which will make them happy
The result is a life pursuing wealth
With money now gained, people indulge themselves in the things on Earth that they enjoy, e.g. buying material goods that are sold by the mass media (and the mass media is only selling these things because they themselves are the same way; they're in it for the money)
These material items become their pride, their everything, their idol
Worship of the material takes the place of spirituality; thus spirituality is "ignored" as you say

Does that help?
Quote by brandon369852
Just switch to the violent video game one, you have a good one for that.

It's not something I particularly care about, nor do I agree with it; I can't write about something I have no connection with, even if I have to. I'd rather not write this paper, which is my final, then spew bullshit.
Quote by EvilAngel93
Unhappiness in the people, caused by anything
People look to money because of what they see in the media (the things that make them insecure, or engender greed) because they believe that with that money they can buy the goods they desire, which will make them happy
The result is a life pursuing wealth
With money now gained, people indulge themselves in the things on Earth that they enjoy, e.g. buying material goods that are sold by the mass media (and the mass media is only selling these things because they themselves are the same way; they're in it for the money)
These material items become their pride, their everything, their idol
Worship of the material takes the place of spirituality; thus spirituality is "ignored" as you say

Does that help?

Yeah that really does help, now I'll add in more parts about college and how it can neglect an important stage of development and also the raising of kids by parents- how our parents were raised by people who lived through the depression, so they saved money and how it affects the actions of our generation and how we're more altrustic- but how we're raised to go to college so we can have money-

Basically the monetary importance of life over self