I recently purchased a mesa lonestar 100watt amp. i have a gibson les paul classic. I play in a band that plays originals that are similar to bullet for my valentine, shinedown, and all that remains. i need a good pedal to get a heavier sound out of my amp, but dont even know where to start. please help me
I say sell the Lonestar and get a Mesa Rectoverb those'll have enough gain. Or if you can, get a cab and a Dual Rectifier
Quote by EvilAngel93
I say sell the Lonestar and get a Mesa Rectoverb those'll have enough gain. Or if you can, get a cab and a Dual Rectifier

I hav to second this. Metal is at its purest form out of a raunchy amplifier, a Double/Triple Recto or a 6505/5150 would be sweet. Gain is gain, and most gain *****s like the gain to be from the amp, using the TS to boost.

But hey, get you a noxious, crunch box, Mesa V-Twin, or something off the clean channel and youd be fine. So really, its up to you. Most folks that play the heaveeeey sh*t are getting thier gain from the amp. I doubt that a TS808 would boost you to Metal-Core and Death Metal territory. But thats just me, some folks think that a tubescreamer and a Twin Reverb is metal but I digress.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
I think overall you'd be better off with a different amp.

If you absolutely want tone from a pedal, a Blackstar HT-DISTX will get you all the [tube] gain you need.
Buy a new amp. Sorry, but I've tried a bunch of different pedals in the pursuit of a heavy sound and haven't found anything that surpasses a purpose-built amp.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
Buy a new amp. Sorry, but I've tried a bunch of different pedals in the pursuit of a heavy sound and haven't found anything that surpasses a purpose-built amp.

+ 1

There is no replacement for the crunch and grind of a metal tone from an amp voiced for metal.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
despite popular opinion, lonestars caaan do metal, and it's probably perfect for the shinedown stuff, which, i'm guessing, is probably more up your alley than the other stuff, right TS?

the B4MV and similar stuff is very preamp gain heavy... not terribly different in theory to a high gain stomp box. look for one that doesn't kill all the natural warmth of the LS... maybe a radial hot british or a blackstar distX. a Keeley Twilight Zone would also give you "BIG" heavy.
awesome thanks for the tips, i really want a decent combo amp cuz im gigging but not huge stuff, and it sux to haul around a stack, or i would totally get a dual rectifier. im still not totally sold on my lonestar, but I got an insane deal on it. i would sell it in an instant if i could find an amp that better suited my style, in a combo of course. i almost got an express but those are kinda entry level and i didnt like the settings.
im also playin some softer stuff on electric and i def love the warmth of the lonestar, so thats a plus. Im a total newb to tubes but i really wasnt satisfied with my line 6 spider sound.
try a metal muff my brothers guitarist has one its has so much gain its great, it also has a mid boost fr solos
Get an overdrive to boost
If you get a metal pedal and put it threw that mesa its almost murder worthy tbh
Most definitely an overdrive pedal. A distortion pedal will sound digital and alter your tone, as an overdrive will only boost your signal and get even sweeter.
Ibanez: TS9 or TS808
Maxon: OD808
Digitech: Bad Monkey
Boss: SD-1 Super Overdrive

Those are some of the most common models.
You may also want to try a graphic equalizer, they do miracles; boosting some frequencies will do great to achieve a heavier tone.
And those 2 pedals are never a waste as they'll do good with any amp.
I would definitely trade the Lonestar for a Dual Rectifier. I think that the Lonestar is one of the best amps on the market, but for metal you probably would prefer the Dual Rec.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212