Hey guys. I've been playing guitar for about a year now, on a Breedlove Atlas series (Electro-Acoustic), and now i'm interested in getting my first electric guitar.

Price range = anything less than about $750 Australian (about $690 US and 420 British Pounds)

I love the Les Paul shape and was looking into maybe getting a Special II, but I played a friend's Hofner hollowbody and now I'm a bit unsure. Is there any real difference between a hollowbody and a normal electric? Can someone suggest a good hollowbody?
How about an ESP EC? theyre Les Paul bodied, and have a much better tone then any Gibson/Epiphone currently made (Due to Horiible Management)
Quote by a1dente
holy shit, that is a sexy guitar.

Oh yea, its a real sweet guitar, and i can vouch for it.

I played an LP at the guitar shop, and tried out the EC not only did i think it looked better with that Quilted top, it sounded ALOT better, clean and Distorted.

but ive takin a liking to the Fat Strat, and ESP V shape, so i personally wouldnt buy it for that reason, but it IS a great guitar.
Quote by Firering56
How about an ESP EC? theyre Les Paul bodied, and have a much better tone then any Gibson/Epiphone currently made (Due to Horiible Management)

You mean LTD EC right? ESP make the Eclipse.

The only semi-decent Epiphone you could get with that budget is the Les Paul Studio but given that it's close to Christmas their will be sales and you might be able to pick up a bargain for the Les Paul Standard model. As for hollowbodies well I have no clue.
What kind of music will you be playing? Hollow-bodies tend to have horrible issues with feedback when you start cranking up the gain on your amp for those distorted rock/metal sounds. A solid-body would most likely be the more versatile option.
I'd probably be playing a bit of Santana and some lightly distorted stuff... no metal, i hate it

And I'd checked out the Studios, but they seem to be considerably more expensive than what I can afford.
You mean LTD EC right? ESP make the Eclipse.

QUOTE]

Yea, thanks for pointing that out.

the LTD EC AND the Eclipse are both very good guitars
Quote by a1dente
I'd probably be playing a bit of Santana and some lightly distorted stuff... no metal, i hate it

And I'd checked out the Studios, but they seem to be considerably more expensive than what I can afford.

Hollow Bodies do realy tend to have some feedback issues.

if your playing the lighter stuff from the 70'2 and 80's, then yea, the EC or the Eclipse would be very good, or mabey even an X-Tone (See the ESP company for that) cause they are a beautiful bodied guitar. i don't personally know how that sound, but they are supposedly very very resonate and vibrant.
If you like hollow bodies but want something that has the benefits of both a solid body guitar and a hollowbody, you should look into getting a Semi Hollow. Have a look into an Epiphone Dot. Pair that with a nice little valve amp and you've got a great setup.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay