Page 1 of 17
Search bar'd for like 15 seconds, nothing.

WASHINGTON — An unusual holiday message began appearing this week in the nation’s capital on the sides of buses and trains.

“No god? ... No problem!” reads the advertisement featuring the smiling faces of people wearing Santa Claus hats. “Be good for goodness’ sake.”

Over the next two weeks, 270 of the ads will go up on city buses and trains in the Washington area as part of the holiday kickoff to campaigns sponsored by secular groups in cities around the country and abroad. If last year was any indication, the signs are likely to spark a theological war of words.

“We don’t intend to rain on anyone’s parade, but secular people celebrate the holidays, too, and we’re just trying to reach out to our people,” said Roy Speckhardt, the executive director of the American Humanist Association. “To the degree that we are reaching out to the godly, it’s just to say that you can be good without god. So their atheist neighbor down the street shouldn’t be vilified as though he is immoral.”

Signs similar to those in Washington are being placed on buses and billboards in New York, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Chicago, Los Angeles, Seattle, and near the University of Idaho in Moscow, Idaho, as well as in London; Barcelona, Spain; Genoa, Italy; and Toronto, Montreal and Calgary, Canada, Mr. Speckhardt confirmed.

Last year, a similar campaign by the association drew strong reactions.

The head of the Catholic League linked secular humanists to figures like Hitler and the serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer. The publisher of “Santa Claus Is Coming to Town” complained about the signs. In Cincinnati, a billboard that said “Don’t believe in God? You’re Not Alone” had to be moved after the owner of the billboard property said he had received threats. In Moscow, Idaho, a sign that said “Good without God. Millions of humanists are” was vandalized twice in three weeks.

“It is the ultimate Grinch to suggest there is no God during a holiday where millions of people around the world celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ,” said Mathew D. Staver, founder and chairman of the Liberty Counsel, a conservative religious law firm, and dean of Liberty University School of Law in Lynchburg, Va. “It is insensitive and mean.”

Aside from sending an alert to members, Mr. Staver said his organization had no legal or other action planned in response to the advertisements.

After signs went up last year in Washington, religious groups took out their own ads. One featured the famous Sistine Chapel image of God’s finger reaching out to Adam along with the words: “Why Believe? Because I created you and I love you, for goodness’ sake. — God.” Pennsylvania Friends in Christ placed an ad reading: “Believe in God. Christ is Christmas for goodness sake.”

City transit officials said they had so far not received any requests from religious groups to post their own signs this year.

Elsewhere, this year’s secular signs vary in tone.

In Seattle, this year’s signs say “Millions are good without God.” In Las Vegas, signs to be put up this week will say “Reasons Greetings” and “Yes, Virginia ... there is no God.”

The sponsor of the Las Vegas signs, the Freedom From Religion Foundation, created a furor last year with its sign that read, in part, “Religion is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds.” Its location was next to a Nativity scene at the Capitol in Olympia.

The campaigns come against a backdrop of a growing number of nonbelievers. Fifteen percent of Americans identified themselves as having “no religion” in a 2008, up from 8 percent in 1990, according to a study by the Program on Public Values at Trinity College in Hartford.

The number of campus affiliates of the Secular Student Alliance, a group that promotes secular values at universities, have grown to 174 in 2009 from 100 in 2008 and 80 in 2007.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/02/us...eist.html?_r=3

I know this has for the most part been done(as far as Atheism and christmas goes), but do you think this is taking it too far? I approve of this, not only because awareness needs to be raised, but because it is incredibly amusing to piss off hardcore christians with signs like these .

Thoughts?
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
This won't end well.
As an atheist, I don't think awareness needs to be raised for us celebrating Christmas as well. Just celebrate it and move on.

No I meant awareness of the entire idea that most Atheists are just as moral as most Christians, if not more.

Stopping people from harping on Atheists celebrating Christmas is always a plus too.
I'm more surprised that people are vandalising signs that suggest God doesn't exist. I swear Atheism, or least to be Agnostic, is the prominent point of view in the UK.

Still, as Atheist as I am, pointing out how little you believe in God around Christmas does seem kinda unnecessary.
I am an atheist, and I have yet to figure out how preachy atheists are any better than preachy Christians.

Keep your beliefs to yourself.
I've seen a few of those around. There was one that said "Yes Virginia, there is no God". Made me chuckle.
kill all humans
....there's a Catholic League? Like a League of superheroes...but catholic. This makes me want to believe.
I HAVE RETURNED
Twitter
Quote by metalkickTM
migueltherocker: The retarded unicorn-fish of the sea

Quote by ShredHead396

Dude, that was just pure win, i laughed the entire way

first stack ^
It's a positive message, I fail to see why anyone would be annoyed or offended by it, even if you don't see the point.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
well, different societies can advertise whatever they want as long as they aren't breaking any law while doing it. the atheists have their right as american citizens and are only doing what churches do: spreading their beliefs. churches should not complain about this, but it is humorous that religion is starting become like a corporate marketplace.
Sent from my iPad.
I think it's stupid.

Yeah, let's piss off Christians, that's always fun.

And I don't expect hardly anyone to support me on this, the majority of this site is going to say "LOL CHRISTIANITY GOD IZ DED".
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Dec 6, 2009,
Quote by Ur all $h1t
It's a positive message, I fail to see why anyone would be annoyed or offended by it, even if you don't see the point.

Don't worry. They will find something to be offended about.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by crazy8rgood
I think it's stupid.

Regardless of how fun or not fun it is, it sure is easy.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by alexmonty12
I'm more surprised that people are vandalising signs that suggest God doesn't exist. I swear Atheism, or least to be Agnostic, is the prominent point of view in the UK.

Still, as Atheist as I am, pointing out how little you believe in God around Christmas does seem kinda unnecessary.

It's simple: the signs are in the US.
I don't really see why anyone feels the need to advertise their beliefs like that, but I'm glad they do. People offended by that sort of thing should be offended as often as possible.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by paintITblack39
well, different societies can advertise whatever they want as long as they aren't breaking any law while doing it. the atheists have their right as american citizens and are only doing what churches do: spreading their beliefs. churches should not complain about this, but it is humorous that religion is starting become like a corporate marketplace.

Exactly
Last edited by D&DLover at Dec 6, 2009,
Quote by guitarhero_764
No I meant awareness of the entire idea that most Atheists are just as moral as most Christians, if not more.

Stopping people from harping on Atheists celebrating Christmas is always a plus too.

Oh well that's a great thing to bring awareness about. I don't know if a Christmas campaign is the best way, but if it works, then kudos. I still think it will stir shit.
But yeah. Like any religion, you'll have good people and bad people. Not all atheists go around yelling "STFU DON'T BELIEVE IN THAT".
i'm a christian, but i feel... we should just leave them alone. i mean i'm not happy that they are able to put up these signs, but it's kinda retarded that christian's assume atheist are bad people... it's just dumb. plenty of my friends are atheist... hell they're nicer than me.

Religious fight, go!
Gear:
Peavey Millennium 4 AC BXP 4-String Bass
Fender BXR 60 watt
Squier Fender Stratocaster 20th anniversary edition\
Pignose acoustic
Samick D1/SN
Quote by crazy8rgood
I think it's stupid.

christians are pissed off by anything. ever heard of this guy?
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by Holy Katana
It's simple: the signs are in the US.
Haha, I know, but I didn't realise it was so different across the pond
Quote by Samdroid
I am an atheist, and I have yet to figure out how preachy atheists are any better than preachy Christians.

Keep your beliefs to yourself.

Because Preachy Atheists are actually correct.

And this isn't preaching. It isn't like the sign is: "3 REASONS WHY NOT TO BELIEVE IN GOD", it's just raising awareness to help Atheists gets more acceptance and better treatment in this nation.
Quote by paintITblack39

When I say Christians, I mean most all Christian groups, that aren't Fundie Baptists.
Quote by Dirge Humani

I was SO hoping for that.
Gear:
Peavey Millennium 4 AC BXP 4-String Bass
Fender BXR 60 watt
Squier Fender Stratocaster 20th anniversary edition\
Pignose acoustic
Samick D1/SN
Brilliant! Let's try to make ourselves look better to Christians by starting an aggressive ad campaign that attacks their beliefs and claims everything they believe is false! They're sure to like us, then!

Christians already know what we believe. Why not do something productive other than signs that state our beliefs?

As an Atheist, I hope this group goes away. And fast.
Last edited by Inimical at Dec 6, 2009,
I approve of this ad campaign. Hooray for science!
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Quote by Sax2
Expected the band Atheist.

same, I am dissapoint.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
I saw some on buses around here that had Santa Clause talking to a little girl saying "Yes Virginia, there is no God." I didn't even get it at first, I hadn't heard of this
Quote by paintITblack39

soo basiaclly all chrisitans are like this guy?....isnt that like saying all atheists are like stalin or hitler....im not saying they are...just thats how your logic follows....juding any group by bad examples isnt fair

Quote by guitarhero_764
Because Preachy Atheists are actually correct.

And this isn't preaching. It isn't like the sign is: "3 REASONS WHY NOT TO BELIEVE IN GOD", it's just raising awareness to help Atheists gets more acceptance and better treatment in this nation.

oh really you know for sure there isnt a god?? howd you anser this age old question?/ listen you have no cluejust like verybody else. I myself am a catholic and do believe in the Trinity...but there is a chance im wrong...you just being ignorant

this honestly doesnt bother me, even being catholic. thats the same as a catholic billboard. they arent slamming anybody or giving out false or unwanted criticsm so freedom of expression.

and to the people claiming that we (meaning catholics/chrisitians) consder atheists the devil is also untrue and ignorant...we just believe you are wrong, just as you think we are wrong...are there people who think otherwise...yes but on the whole the people i know that are catholic/christian (alot of my friends) just judge people on their charecter and leave religion out of it.
Last edited by bmanlp92 at Dec 6, 2009,
Quote by alexmonty12
Haha, I know, but I didn't realise it was so different across the pond

You didn't? And here I was thinking English people generally knew more about the US than we did about them.

Yeah, a majority of Americans are Christian. I thought it was a commonly known fact. Even more believe in God: 92%.
Quote by Inimical
Brilliant! Let's try to make ourselves look better to Christians by starting an aggressive ad campaign that attacks their beliefs and claims everything they believe is false! They're sure to like us, then!

Christians already know what we believe. Why not do something productive other than signs that state our beliefs?

As an Atheist, I hope this group goes away. And fast.

You missed the point. This is about getting acceptance for Atheism in this country, and encouraging other Atheists to "come out" persay. And I would hardly call that agressive.

BTW, a lot of Christians do think that Atheism is equivalent to being the devil. Not that I expect this ad to get to those kinds of people, but nonetheless.

oh really you know for sure there isnt a god?? howd you anser this age old question?/ listen you have no cluejust like verybody else. I myself am a catholic and do believe in the Trinity...but there is a chance im wrong...you just being ignorant
Of course I don't know there's no god, that's not what Atheism is. I just don't believe in any one God, so I'm an Atheist(agnostic atheist, meaning I don't think anyone can know for sure). Following Christianity is much much much less logical though.
Last edited by guitarhero_764 at Dec 6, 2009,
Quote by guitarhero_764

This. 100% in agreement with you. Seriously, the situation in America is completely screwed...people just assume you are Christian over there. And if you aren't then you are automatically trying to persecute Christians and are immoral spawn of Satan.

at "Reasons Greetings". Lmao.
What is mountains? A mountains has no special shapes or sound!

Epic Chill Broseph Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.

Quote by guitarhero_764
You missed the point. This is about getting acceptance for Atheism in this country, and encouraging other Atheists to "come out" persay. And I would hardly call that agressive.

BTW, a lot of Christians do think that Atheism is equivalent to being the devil. Not that I expect this ad to get to those kinds of people, but nonetheless.

Oh I got the point, they just are not doing it properly. They are attacking a religious group's beliefs in order to make more Atheists come out, but they are stirring up more controversy around Atheism and causing even more tension. How the hell is that supposed to make people more comfortable about "coming out"?

It's aggressive in the sense that they are directly going after Christianity and people who believe in God by challenging their beliefs. That is not a way to make people more comfortable with you, nor is it going to encourage better relations. There are certainly more productive ways to get Atheists to come out. This is not it.

It's not moderate Christians who are the problem here, it is the fundies who are going after these ads, but there are certainly more of them than there are of us and certainly a lot more followers. There are more positive ways to get this message across. I'm all for making Atheists better recognized in North America and more represented, but I am not for this ad campaign at all.
Last edited by Inimical at Dec 6, 2009,
Quote by Holy Katana
You didn't? And here I was thinking English people generally knew more about the US than we did about them.

Yeah, a majority of Americans are Christian. I thought it was a commonly known fact. Even more believe in God: 92%.

The article stated 15% don't believe in a God. You're information contradicts this?
Quote by guitarhero_764
Of course I don't know there's no god, that's not what Atheism is. I just don't believe in any one God, so I'm an Atheist(agnostic atheist, meaning I don't think anyone can know for sure). Following Christianity is much much much less logical though.

i dont see how. In my life through my research this is what has spoken o me most. I honestly believe the Catholic Church, though it may be flawed, is very close, if not almost right on, with how God and Jesus truly are. Its a belief, based with no factual historical evidence, just based on what I've experienced...thats not more illogical than taking parts of other religions
Last edited by bmanlp92 at Dec 6, 2009,
Quote by captaincrunk
The article stated 15% don't believe in a God. You're information contradicts this?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2008/06/23/ST2008062300818.html

Biggest study of its kind in America. They polled 36,000 people. Maybe the numbers have changed since then.
I don't like people trying to spread around their religious beliefs, but I don't see how this is any different to a giant billboard advertising Christianity, or any other religion.

It's retarded that they could be angry about this, when they do it as well.
Day after day, love turns gray. Like the skin on a dying man.

I, feel

Cold as a razor blade
Tight as a tourniquet
Dry as a funeral drum

PSN: Allshalperish
Steam ID: Fiesal

Check out my band!