Hey,

Aite i just bought a 6505+ head off craigslist for $600. Amazing deal. Right now i do not have a cab and itll be a while before I can actually buy one so in the mean time, is there a way for me to plug into the head and play? Like into headphones or straight into my laptop or something?

Thanks in advance
No
It will die.

Buy a cab.

Btw, $600 is about standard.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Nope...

Not unless you get a load box with a line out.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Using an amp (even just turning it on) without having a speaker cabinet attached is a big no-no...your amp will not last long.

EDIT: wow...quite the delay in my post showing up...there were no replies when I wrote mine and it didn't show up til over 10 minutes later
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Dec 6, 2009,
K cool. This is my first tube head so i didnt know much bout it. I had a vk212 but hated the tones it gave me so I got the 6505+ instead. K thanks
Quote by Yngwi3
No
It will die.

Buy a cab.

Btw, $600 is about standard.

Here it's like $950.
It sucks.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
Quote by Darth Sion
K cool. This is my first tube head so i didnt know much bout it. I had a vk212 but hated the tones it gave me so I got the 6505+ instead. K thanks

2 Rules,

After switching the power on, wait approx 30 secs for the tubes to heat up before flicking the head on.

Always check that your amp is connected to a load or a cab before you even plug the power switch into a socket.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by kyle62
Absolutely not.

Don't even power it up until it's connected to a cab, all you'll do is risk blowing your transformers.

This

Quoted for emphasis. Seriously. Don't turn it on!
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Yeah if you weren't going to buy a cab I may have to run my **** in your face.

Basically there is no load on the output sobrie current frys the amp.
Happens more frequently than you'd think actually, people are stupid sometimes
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Ok, I understand the need to be careful about loads, but when we get to "don't even plug it in without a load," that's gone too far.

An amp in standby with no load is in no danger whatsoever. If there's nothing plugged in to the amp, you can even turn it on completely with no load and not have an issue. It's only when there's output without a load when you are in deep, deep trouble.
Well, any time you'd have sound from the amp if there were a cab.

Theoretically, with a guitar plugged in and the guitar volume all the way down, you still have no input signal, so there's no output. The minute you've got any sort of input though - even plugging the cable in, where you'd get that pop, or a single coil guitar plugged in where you'd get hiss or hum from the pickups- you've got output, and need a load. It's not necessarily playing.

While a hum or popping probably isn't sufficient to create enough signal to cause problems, it's not a good idea to have any sort of input if there's no load. Generally the danger would be from playing with no load, but why risk it?
Totally agreed, but your clarification of 'output' was very helpful.

I'll probably still tell people not to do it at all. It's just easier

But for someone who at least wants to verify that the amp turns on, your info is helpful.

Glad I could help.

Yes, it's usually good to just never have the amp without a load unless it's in transit, since it's so easy to forget and start playing. I just wanted to clarify, in the interest of proper information, that it's ok to turn the amp on without a load in some circumstances.
Quote by Roc8995
Glad I could help.

Yes, it's usually good to just never have the amp without a load unless it's in transit, since it's so easy to forget and start playing. I just wanted to clarify, in the interest of proper information, that it's ok to turn the amp on without a load in some circumstances.

True I can understand where you are coming from in terms of proper information.

However, in this situation, when it comes to turning on a tube amp without a cab or a load, I know that it is possible to turn the power on without frying the amp. However, it comes to a piece of advice that could lead to the death and destruction of an expensive piece of equipment, I'd rather play it safe and say not to turn it on AT ALL.

Some how somewhere, some retard will misconstrue what you wrote and blow up their amps.

Natural born idiots somewhere on the internet are geniuses when it comes to fraking up idiot-proof advice or blowing themselves up.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
That's fine, but I just don't think it's fair to people who do know better, or want to know more about how their amp works, to lie and say that plugging their amp in without a load is dangerous.

I'm not interested in misinforming 95% of the population just because 5% can't comprehend the correct information. Simplification is one thing but falsehood is another.
Quote by Roc8995
That's fine, but I just don't think it's fair to people who do know better, or want to know more about how their amp works, to lie and say that plugging their amp in without a load is dangerous.

I'm not interested in misinforming 95% of the population just because 5% can't comprehend the correct information. Simplification is one thing but falsehood is another.

True, I can understand your reason, but I'll still stick to not turning it on at all.

Apart from biasing, I can't imagine why anyone'd want to turn on their tube amp without sending the power to the speakers.

That said, I've dealt with too many idiots in research to know that even the village idiot'll find a way to screw up an idiot proof plan designed by a genius with an IQ of 1000. In my experience, 1 idiot is smarter than the collective intelligences of all of mankind's genius when it comes to screwing up plans.

Hence my statement " don't switch on your tube amp without a load". Easier than laying down the conditions to switching it on safely without it blowing up in someone's faces.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by Roc8995
That's a fine stance to take.

indeed.

Different people, different views.

Great to know that different views on UG don't always have to end in a flame war.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
True I can understand where you are coming from in terms of proper information.

However, in this situation, when it comes to turning on a tube amp without a cab or a load, I know that it is possible to turn the power on without frying the amp. However, it comes to a piece of advice that could lead to the death and destruction of an expensive piece of equipment, I'd rather play it safe and say not to turn it on AT ALL.

Some how somewhere, some retard will misconstrue what you wrote and blow up their amps.

Natural born idiots somewhere on the internet are geniuses when it comes to fraking up idiot-proof advice or blowing themselves up.

this.

roc is right, but wen it comes to giving a newbie advice over the internet, why play with fire?