How much would a decent pair of headphones cost? could I get away with a 50 dollar pair or would they sound like utter shit?
no sir away a papaya war is on
I would be pluggin them into the headphone jack on my amp

edit: and Im looking for headphones not earbuds. I can't stand those little things.
Last edited by the_perdestrian at Dec 6, 2009,
Quote by the_perdestrian
I would be pluggin them into the headphone jack on my amp

To be honest, it wouldn't matter if you used a $5 pair of cheapies then, as the cab emulation on most amps is pretty damn poor.
Quote by kyle62
To be honest, it wouldn't matter if you used a $5 pair of cheapies then, as the cab emulation on most amps is pretty damn poor.

Cab emulation? I though it just sent the same signal to your head phones that it did to your speakers. except maybe quieter.
Quote by the_perdestrian
Cab emulation? I though it just sent the same signal to your head phones that it did to your speakers. except maybe quieter.

Noty quite...you really, really wouldn't want to hear what a guitar signal sounds like before it goes to the speaker. Very harsh and trebly!

Most amps with headphone sockets have 'cab emulation', which basically applies an EQ to the signal so it sounds a bit more rounded, like you'd hear from a guitar speaker. Some amps do it better than others, but the overall effect is the same.
Basically, it sounds good for practice, but not so good that you need particularly hi-quality headphones to appreciate it.

Either way, $50 will get you a nice pair of cans, which will also be great for listening to music, films etc. Have a look at the Sennheiser HD series.
wait... the head will eq it before it goes to my headphones won't it? I mean the speaker isn't THAT important. Right? I
mean even with out "cab emulation'
Last edited by the_perdestrian at Dec 6, 2009,
Quote by the_perdestrian
wait... the head will eq it before it goes to my headphones won't it? I mean the speaker isn't THAT important. Right? I
mean even with out "cab emulation'

Actually the speaker cab plays a huge role in tone, you need the way the speakers resonate to get that nice sound. Headphone plugs sound way too digital.
but it won't be terrible will it? that other guy is making it sound like the tone will make me vomit or something
Not that terrible, but terrible enough that it will sound just the same through a pair of $5 headphones.