from time to time my calluses seem to shed the top layer of skin, and this is bad when I play guitar especially since I do some slides, and as a result it doesn't glide smoothly because it keeps getting stuck with the frets...

I know this sounds like a weird thing (probably ) since I have never heard of these problem happening to anyone else but me...

is there anyway of smoothing them out?

EDIT: here is a picture of how they look like... my index looks like the ring finger in this pic.
Last edited by MrPapi at Dec 6, 2009,
You could always use lotion or other healing ointments. A nail file could probably help get the large chunks off, as well.
My fingers get like that from time to time too. I usually play 'til that layer of skin is gone, and then that fresh one underneath gets even tougher. You can also trim the excess with nail clippers.

Slicedit: I would un-recommend lotion/ointments. That'll soften your tips and make them even more susceptible to things like this.
Last edited by TimboSlice at Dec 6, 2009,
Never heard of the dead skin coming back...my fingers have stayed tough since I started, even when I have gone months without playing.

Have you tried an emory board?
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Is it bad if I haven't had calluses? I've been playing for a year and a half. I grew up working with horses and stuff. Were my hands just tough already?
That happens to me every once in a while, but not as much anymore as it used to. I pretty much just play through it, as TimboSlice said, and then it doesn't get like that for quite a while.
Check out my punk band!!! Lizard on the Window We found a drummer and are now recording.

White Version FC: 4083 9268 4644
White 2 FC: 5372 8215 3622
3DS FC: 1676 4085 1677
have you been picking at the calluses? if so, don't do that

i use very fine emery board VERY carefully when i get callus edges that catch. be ultra careful only to get the dead skin - if you use a rougher emery board or file vigorously, you could give yourself worse problems.
Quote by millerdrr

Have you tried an emory board?

hmmm. I'll give that one a try. just enough to get the shreds off. I usually end up biting them off...but I hate the guitar string taste they have on them.

have you been picking at the calluses? if so, don't do that

uh oh! I'm gonna take a guess and say that worsens them, right?
Last edited by MrPapi at Dec 6, 2009,
Usually calluses get like that when the skin gets really dry as well. I notice all the time they're a lot healthier in the summer than the winter.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
You don't want to pick at them because you can tear the weaker skin underneath. Which hurts. A lot. And limits your playing until it heals.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Moisturizer would definitely help you. It's happened to me before where my callouses were completely smooth and reverted back to tearing. I just kept going and they haven't been tearing since.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
That kinda sucks yeah. Lol. I too just play them till they fall off.
*the skin.. not my fingers! lol
My fingers only get like that if I bite at them before playing and tearing a hole through the skin. I know I'm disgusting
"When words fail, music speaks"

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
ewww - wow that's disgusting. i've had that before - just means you have dry skin - a little lotion will cure ya.
Yea I get that a bit. When it does happen I find that if you stop playing for a wee while the skin smooths out. I usually pick at it but thats never good because the fingertips then get quite thin again.

I've heard of people soaking their fretting fingers in oil and then letting them dry without washing or toweling, but have never tried it myself. I've also heard of people holding a lighter under their fingers, not so they get burnt but so that they harden up.

These methods are supposed to stop your fingertips from peeling but I honestly don't think theres anything you can do. If your desperate enough to give it a go though.
Quote by arlidgmich
Yea I get that a bit. When it does happen I find that if you stop playing for a wee while the skin smooths out. I usually pick at it but thats never good because the fingertips then get quite thin again.

I've heard of people soaking their fretting fingers in oil and then letting them dry without washing or toweling, but have never tried it myself. I've also heard of people holding a lighter under their fingers, not so they get burnt but so that they harden up.

These methods are supposed to stop your fingertips from peeling but I honestly don't think theres anything you can do. If your desperate enough to give it a go though.

DO NOT DO WHAT IS BOLDED THERE. Seriously. Holding an open flame upon your flesh is not a good idea. It's an easy way to risk getting third degree burns if you're not careful enough. Third degree burns scar PERMANENTLY and require you to take a trip to the hospital. You don't want permanent scars on your fretting fingers.

The right idea would be to keep playing to develop your callouses. But for your case, that happens to me every now and then...generally, I ignore it. It hasn't happened recently though, and when I can figure out why that is I'll be sure to let you know. Moisturizer might help with that, but just be sure that it doesn't kill off your callouses.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
hahaha yeah, my hands are too important to hold a flame close to it...imagine being unable to play guitar...that's what nightmares are made of!

but yeh, I'm surprised how they are smooth now. and yeah it seems to happen once in a while, and for a short period of time. I applied an rice grain seized drop of moisturizer on them, so that probably helped a little.
Quote by hsteve3
Is it bad if I haven't had calluses? I've been playing for a year and a half. I grew up working with horses and stuff. Were my hands just tough already?

Yeh i've never had callouses either and i play guitar for like, 3-4 hours day on average. :s
I used to get that i found when i was doing a lot of woodwork it cleared due to the fact i was sanding down a lot of timber, since then i use a very fine sand paper, wet & dry anything like that, give them a light rub from time to time to stop it building up to that stage.