I bought the starter Ibanez bass kit two years ago (GSR200 bass, I believe is what they pack into that) and I'm looking to upgrade with not very much money to spend. Guitar Center sent me some holiday coupons and has a sale on the Schecter Stiletto Extreme-4. The finish on that thing looks amazing, and I like the fact that it has 4 EQ knobs. However, I'm hearing mixed things about it. My GSR, though a good starter bass, is awful at this point. I've always had trouble with fret buzz. I really want a Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass, but I can't afford it right now. Seeing as how the Ibanez GSR is $299 list price and the Schecter is MSRP $569, I figured it might be an upgrade. But I have no idea. I don't know much about pickups and EQ. All I know is I like a low, smooth tone over that sharp twang that some bassists like.

Speaking of that, how would you describe the tonal difference of humbuckers versus whatever pickups a P-Bass uses versus J-Bass pickups? I know that's a dumb, vague question from a beginner. You'd think almost 3 years in I'd know by now.
I have no knowledge on the Extreme-4, but we are in almost exactly the same boat. Same starter pack, same time.

Except my boat wants a six-string, and doesn't have any idea what kind yet.
Quote by KingOfBlood
I have no knowledge on the Extreme-4, but we are in almost exactly the same boat. Same starter pack, same time.

Except my boat wants a six-string, and doesn't have any idea what kind yet.

What's even more strange is I see your location is New Jersey, which is where I grew up for 18 years. I moved out to college in PA though, and my parents split and went to Delaware and Georgia, respectively. So I commute between the 4, which sucks when lugging around bass gear.
Yes the Schecter is an upgrade from your Ibanez. However, I would really recommend you try it out in a store first if possible, Schecter makes great instruments, but some (myself included) cannot stand the way they feel.

Also on a side note when you were talking about the prices, never look at the "list price," companies like Guitar Center put the list price on the tag to make it look like your getting a really good deal, which is not the case.

As to the pickup question, P basses use a split P single coil pickup, and J basses use two single coil pickups. The difference is basically the difference between single coil pickups and humbuckers.

EDIT: whoops, forgot to actually answer the pickup question. Tonally, the simplest way to put it would be that humbuckers sound "fatter" and "meatier" then single coils.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Dec 6, 2009,
Yeah, I'd imagine the only way to understand tonal differences would be to mess around with a variety of models. Do they let you do that in a shop like Guitar Center? I've never actually set foot in one, just bought online.
This is an upgrade, but may I recommend the stiletto custom or stiletto studio for your consideration? Basically the same basses, but upgraded parts, plus the studio has neck-thru...

Anyway, definitely try them out first. I love the way they feel, but some people like P's, too...

Editskii:
Quote by Billy M
Yeah, I'd imagine the only way to understand tonal differences would be to mess around with a variety of models. Do they let you do that in a shop like Guitar Center? I've never actually set foot in one, just bought online.

Yes, they let you play whatever they have, although it takes some convincing to get the vault stuff. The trick is finding a sales associate to get the high-up ones, though.

Secondedit: I got my scecter custom 4 for $500. Just to give you an idea of what it'll cost, you're probably looking at $350-$400.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Last edited by samskii at Dec 7, 2009,
The schecter is definitely higher quality. I love how mine feels and sounds, and the maple top is amazing. I have the bass you want =)
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
The Schecter will, though, sound sharp and twangy naturally. You can EQ it out, I guess, but if I was you I'd get a better amp first.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

I would suggest either a Schecter or ESP. I prefer ESP, because their about equal to the Schecters, and a bit cheaper on the price.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10