EDIT: I know this is a really long piece. I wont care if you dont listen to the entire thing. There are 2 very different sections though; song changes around 4:00.

I stayed up all night recording and putting this together last night, was wondering what UG thinks of the composition and tones. This is a rough version (going to do vox tommorow) so there are a few things which im already aware need improvement:

Drums a little too soft/Get repetitive after song picks up with grindy tone
Needs reverb

On my profile, "Paths"
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Will+Terhart/

Im wondering what you guys think of the huge fuzzy stoner-type tones I got with this; I like them in this context but it feels like somethings missing. The intro/outro and clean tones were heavily inspired by Circle Takes The Square, one of the best groups of musicians ive ever heard.
Will post final version with vox sometime tommorow.
Despite the above, any and all crit is welcome, and c4c of course.
Last edited by Will Terhart at Dec 7, 2009,
thanks for the crit,
The drums are great on this track, very thoughtful and they really add to the piece and are not just backround, you get the bass to work with the drums really well. I love the distorted guitar when it first comes in, the clean guitar sounds dry but its only a rough draft. The song gets a little to heavy for my liking around the middle, But overall its a great piece and i like the name "paths" because the songs starts and ends in different places. Also I do not want to cramp your artistic style or freedom but I am just acknowledging that its going to be pretty tough to get most people to sit down and listen to a 9 min song, so if you want you should cut it down a little. its really cool, but again it gets a little too heavy to be a stoner tune, but other than that middle part its chill
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA
Quote by Ardie12
thanks for the crit,
The drums are great on this track, very thoughtful and they really add to the piece and are not just backround, you get the bass to work with the drums really well. I love the distorted guitar when it first comes in, the clean guitar sounds dry but its only a rough draft. The song gets a little to heavy for my liking around the middle, But overall its a great piece and i like the name "paths" because the songs starts and ends in different places. Also I do not want to cramp your artistic style or freedom but I am just acknowledging that its going to be pretty tough to get most people to sit down and listen to a 9 min song, so if you want you should cut it down a little. its really cool, but again it gets a little too heavy to be a stoner tune, but other than that middle part its chill

Yhea I realize that about the length; thats what happens when you dont get enough sleep LOL. Ill almost definetly be splitting it into 2 tracks. For clarification the "stoner" part of this is just the distorted tones; I was going for a Dopesmoker sort of tone.
Thx for the Crit..i like it it need to be split in to two song most likely but thats not a bad thing that just means u have two songs rather then one change the drum track for the the second song and you should be good..im not to sure if this were suppose to be instrumentals or not but i think the second more destorded one would sound really good with some deftone like vocals but other then that great song man..but the way the songs have a simular melody makes it hard to split them up so my advise would be do what tool did with parabol and parabola and just make the song lead in to the other song when the destorsion comes in if you have never listen to that song by tool cheak it out right at the end and of parabol then listen to parabola and ull understand
thanks for the comments on my song dude.

I really like this song, lovely clean guitar sounds, very post-rocky for me. I actually didn't like the distortion for at its beginning but got used to it, the sludgy tone works well in this context but its very over powering.

The drums suit the quieter parts well but I think they need more dynamics (ie. louder) during the heavy parts - obviously that might be hard to program.

Overall its a very cool song and great recording quality - reminds me of isis! in a good way!
very cool piece. i can hear the circle takes the square influence very clearly in the intro. i like the clean guitar tone, very crisp
nice relaxing lead at ~2:00
i dont like the distorted sludgy guitar tone, but it seems thats what you were going for so no more about that.
the drums sound good, but could use some dynamic adjustments.
it would also be very nice to hear this with some vocals over it.

im not sure why, but this track reminds me a bit of disembowelment which is always a good thing.
good work man
I really liked the tone of your guitar and the drums mix well together i thought. However on the negative side of things i found the start to lack impact and fairly dull. As already stated the sludgy guitar that kicked in i'snt my cup of tea eitherm i think it would sound better if it was overdriven, rather a lot of noise i felt.

Also 9 mins of this seems a very long time.

Overall though i thought it was a good mix with a lot of interesting concepts occuring
Original Tracks - www.soundclick.com/crazydiamond1986

Santa Ana Drea.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Tanglewood TW15-NS
Takamine EG523SC
Fender Deluxe Ash Stratocaster MN
Traynor YCV50 Blue
Jim Dunlop Cry baby Wah
Boss OD-2
Boss ME-50