Alright. I was wondering what is the best way of going about playing guitar over something like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbZlPwnOTJU

Basically a rock remix of a hip hop/synth beat.

I know it isn't very common but when it's done it usually sounds fairly cool. My friend wants me to help him do this with one of his beats.

If it makes a difference he will be sending me the FL Studio files.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
I guess the main piece of advice I can give there is simply utilizing space (as in, shutting up every once in a while ) and getting into a solid groove.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Well yeah but how do I know what key to play in?
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
Listen to the bass line in it. It goes A-F-G-C, so it ends up in the key of A, all the way through.
Quote by JudgeDrey
Listen to the bass line in it. It goes A-F-G-C, so it ends up in the key of A, all the way through.

I didn't know the key of A had an F, G, and C naturals. News to me.
12 fret fury
Quote by JudgeDrey
Listen to the bass line in it. It goes A-F-G-C, so it ends up in the key of Am, all the way through.

Fixed that for you.

And TC, this may help you get some ideas, although it's not exactly a hip-hop beat.
Last edited by Rikki DeMartini at Dec 7, 2009,
Quote by JudgeDrey

Although you mean the key of Am I get what you're saying.
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
Actually, I didn't mean Aminor. I just meant the key of A. The bassline progression goes A then F then G then C then back (all single notes, no chords). So the progression naturally falls in A. So yes anything played in the Aminor scale will sound good. But hey, i'm not trying to split hairs. I'm no theory expert. I've kept my knowledge of theory to a minimum in 25 years. I try to avoid too much detail, considering the nature of the question.
A has a C# and F# and G#.
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
Last edited by RockGuitar92 at Dec 7, 2009,