Page 1 of 2
I have a Schecter C1+ and I love playing it, and I've seen nothing but good reviews around here about these guitars too. So my problem is that I was looking into a new guitar for Christmas and wanted emg's but have heard that there are far better passive pickups out there. That means I could just have better pickups put into my C1+.

So, is the Schecter worth upgrading, or should I just buy a new guitar?

Also, if I decided to replace the pups on the Schecter I could probably get Bareknuckles. I've heard they are awesome so it may influence things.

Play lots of metal of almost all types and lots of classic rock too, just looking for a heavier sound.
Quote by archetype713
I have a Schecter C1+ and I love playing it, and I've seen nothing but good reviews around here about these guitars too. So my problem is that I was looking into a new guitar for Christmas and wanted emg's but have heard that there are far better passive pickups out there. That means I could just have better pickups put into my C1+.

So, is the Schecter worth upgrading, or should I just buy a new guitar?

Also, if I decided to replace the pups on the Schecter I could probably get Bareknuckles. I've heard they are awesome so it may influence things.

Play lots of metal of almost all types and lots of classic rock too, just looking for a heavier sound.

Just change pickups, the guitar is perfectly fine, afterall I use it over my old
ESP MH-401 NT, i mean you already have the looks, the small scale to
use thick strings for more output on pickups, the wood in the neck AND body
the same, Grover tuners TOM pros bridge you will not find a guitar much better

I find the SH-6 bridge and SH-4 or SH-6 in neck is great for super super heavey
things but versitility is SH-2 N and SH-6 B

use 13-62 D'addarios with 12 and 15's Ernie ball plain strings for high notes
E standard to Drop-C

and 14-68 D'addarios for Drop-C to G# 13 and 16 Ernie plain strings
Ibanez AEL10E BLK- W/ Graph Tech Nut, Saddle and Pins
Duncan Woody XL Pickup w/ stock fishman EQ

Schecter C1+ Darksunburst w/ SH-4 (N) & SH-6 (B) 24.75"
Gain boost Switch
11-14-21w-38w-49w-60w D'Addario strings
ENGL Fireball+Savage+Vader Cab
Last edited by xDarrellx87x at Dec 6, 2009,
lol Schecter. New guitar definitely. Maybe this time, choose one that isn't designed to appeal to 15 year old A7X fans.
I'll pry open your sphincter and brutally **** you raw.
Really it's a nice guitar, you have no information backing up
your opinion which I find quite flawed and childish
frankly a sad comeback if you ask me

you got the wood, bridge, and neck thru for tone
and with right strings and pickups you have
a great guitar

Gain boost Switch
Get new pickups.

Any guitar that you have should be taken to a setup man right after you get it. He can adjust the truss rod, intonation, pickups, pickup volume levels, all for $50.00 to $100.00.

Make sure that he is certified. Ask local bands who they use. Don't just let some jack leg guy start messing with it. It will be a new guitar when he gets finished with it!

After I get a guitar, it is at the setup man's shop within a week. It will sound and play like a dream.
Ask me which pickup you should buy and I will ask you what crappy amps you are playing with ?
Shecters are one of the most beautiful guitars on the market IMO. I owned 3 of them at one point. My friend owned a c1 classic (I did not), and that thing made my schecters sound and even look like Sh*t (they were schecter c1+, c1Elite, and a c1Hellraiser). But the sound of the c1 classic is amazing. at least for metal. I don't think any passive pickups sound much better then that.

I'd say go with a new guitar. Something different. Different feel/ different sound = different style. Sparks a lot of creativity if you switch up the guitars once in a while.

O yea.... What guitars were you looking at?
Stuff:
-Orange Tiny Terror head
-Roland Cube 20x
-Ibanez SA
-Ibanez RG7321
-Fender MIM Strat
-EB Music Man SUB 1
Quote by Smarglefarb
lol Schecter. New guitar definitely. Maybe this time, choose one that isn't designed to appeal to 15 year old A7X fans.

Yes 'cos Schecter have only been known to produce hxc guitars that appeal only to posers and kids with spiky hair and none of these beautiful pieces of shit

Right getting back onto topic somewhat I'm surprised to see only 1 mention of amp in this thread. TS we definitely need to know what amp you have and also for my general curiosity did you want a new guitar just for new pickups or because your current guitar isn't 'metal' enough for you.
Quote by j37h307
Shecters are one of the most beautiful guitars on the market IMO. I owned 3 of them at one point. My friend owned a c1 classic (I did not), and that thing made my schecters sound and even look like Sh*t (they were schecter c1+, c1Elite, and a c1Hellraiser). But the sound of the c1 classic is amazing. at least for metal. I don't think any passive pickups sound much better then that.

I'd say go with a new guitar. Something different. Different feel/ different sound = different style. Sparks a lot of creativity if you switch up the guitars once in a while.

O yea.... What guitars were you looking at?

The C1+ has designed pickups where as the classic actually has JB and 59
The small scale allows you to use up to guage 0.68 on the Low E
when you get thicker strings on the small scale you can pump
more voltage into the amp, as long as your guitar resonates well and
has good strings and pickups theres no reason it shouldn't sound good
unless you don't know how to make tone with your right hand

Gain boost Switch
Last edited by xDarrellx87x at Dec 7, 2009,
I think almost all of the new DBZ Guitars, imports included come with EMGs. I just got a DBZ Barchetta a month ago and it sounds amazing.
DBZ Barchetta Eminent FR
DBZ Bolero ST
DBZ Imperial FM
DBZ Venom Matte Black
Dean '79 V
Dean '79 ML
Fender Princeton Chorus
Behringer V-Tone 2/12
Asterope Cables
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Digitech Hardware Metal Distortion
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Right getting back onto topic somewhat I'm surprised to see only 1 mention of amp in this thread. TS we definitely need to know what amp you have and also for my general curiosity did you want a new guitar just for new pickups or because your current guitar isn't 'metal' enough for you.

I have a bugera 333xl so I'm good on the amp :P. Sorry I forgot to mention it.
As for other guitars I was looking at, mostly ESP LTD's because they had emg's but I wanted to look into better options so now I'm not too sure about them. I thought the Peavey V-Type looked pretty decent too but again just something I found looking around. I think I'm leaning towards the new pickups, but if anyone knows a guitar that is just far better than my C1+ that I should look into I'll check it out too.
Do you love the way your C1+ plays the way it does now? If so then change pickups if it bugs you to death then maybe a new guitar is the way.
If you plan on going with Barenuckle pickups plan on paying a pertty penny for it. There not cheap, alot more expensive than EMG's but completly worth it. But Barenuckles are for people looking for real serious tone, pertty much the prefectionists.

If you want EMG's (I'm asumming actives) then your going to have to plan for routing your guitar so you can fit the battry(s). But there are passives that do compare to EMG's like Seymore Duncan and Dizmario. So, I would consider all your options before just blindly going with EMG's or Barenuckles.
Quote by ethan_hanus
If you want EMG's (I'm asumming actives) then your going to have to plan for routing your guitar so you can fit the battry(s).

Now do you have absolute proof or are you just going off what has been chucked around on the internet? Most of the guitars control cavities are absolutely large enough without a doubt to fit a 9V battery so you don't need to route it so you can stop saying that and making installing EMG's seem like a total ****ing pain in the rectum (much like having a pole stuck up your arse).
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Now do you have absolute proof or are you just going off what has been chucked around on the internet? Most of the guitars control cavities are absolutely large enough without a doubt to fit a 9V battery so you don't need to route it so you can stop saying that and making installing EMG's seem like a total ****ing pain in the rectum (much like having a pole stuck up your arse).

Especially given the size of emg's pots.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Quote by tommyt
Especially given the size of emg's pots.

Yeah they're ****ing tiny as. I'd doubt the C1 would need extra routing it looks big enough to not require any routing for a battery.
Quote by azn_guitarist25

Dude, most guitars that have a pickguard, like the strat, have enough room to fit ONE battry in the cavity, a Sechter does not have a pickguard on top so most likely there is the minimum amount of space routed out of the back, so it aint gona work. Sure, you might be able to fit it in there, but not very well. I have EMG's in my Strat, and I didnt have to route out a spot for em, but its a whole nother ballgame with guitars without pickguards.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Dude, most guitars that have a pickguard, like the strat, have enough room to fit ONE battry in the cavity, a Sechter does not have a pickguard on top so most likely there is the minimum amount of space routed out of the back, so it aint gona work. Sure, you might be able to fit it in there, but not very well. I have EMG's in my Strat, and I didnt have to route out a spot for em, but its a whole nother ballgame with guitars without pickguards.

Mate you bothered to check out a C1 back side?

This ain't no strat there is a fair amount of wood (might be considered too much to your tone elitist) routed out for the cavity. Going by the picture would you think there is room for the 9V?
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Mate you bothered to check out a C1 back side?

This ain't no strat there is a fair amount of wood (might be considered too much to your tone elitist) routed out for the cavity. Going by the picture would you think there is room for the 9V?

WTF is your problem dude? Do you have a monkey up your ass or something? If I'm a tone elitist then your on the ****ing moon.

All I'm saying is that with guitars like the Sechter its best to route out a spot for the battry, in order to keep it all nice and clean and have easy acess to the battry. Plus, if you ever want to go to the 18volt mod then you can easily.

So take your elitist hate somewhere else.
Quote by ethan_hanus
WTF is your problem dude? Do you have a monkey up your ass or something? If I'm a tone elitist then your on the ****ing moon.

All I'm saying is that with guitars like the Sechter its best to route out a spot for the battry, in order to keep it all nice and clean and have easy acess to the battry. Plus, if you ever want to go to the 18volt mod then you can easily.

Actually it's just as good to pack the foam over the pots and lay the battery on top of it, avoids routing and keeps everything right.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22

Quote by daeqwon10000
Quote by tommyt
Actually it's just as good to pack the foam over the pots and lay the battery on top of it, avoids routing and keeps everything right.

Thats actually what I do, but I find it a pain in the ass having to take the entire pickguard off just to change the battry.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Thats actually what I do, but I find it a pain in the ass having to take the entire pickguard off just to change the battry.

Possibly, but to be honest with my epi i just leave 2 screws in, doesn't take long to undo and even added up over the years, it's a lot less hassle than routing anything.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22

Quote by daeqwon10000
Hey guys I don't need the fighting here :P just want what will give me the best sound. If I go the emg route I will just buy a new guitar, I had no plans of routing out the Schecter. The thread is on whether I should get a good set of passives for my Schecter or just buy a new guitar with emg's.
Quote by ethan_hanus

Huh? I didn't call you a tone elitist granted my brain didn't click at that moment and I made no sense but I was just saying if someone was a tone elitist then it would look like too much wood routed. Sheesh if you took offence to being called a tone elitist then I'm sorry shit I didn't think it would hurt to be considered to be interested in your tone so much, maybe I'm not the one with a monkey up my ass...

As for routing a spot? Not really you're just getting rid of more wood for a not so nice and clean look. Without routing you still retain a nice and clean look on the back without any extra cavitys and black plating. As for easy access well 5 screws to take off every 3000 hours of guitar usage doesn't sound like much of a hassle. As for 18V well that's more wood taken out when you could have everything secured in foam in the cavity. Sure it may be a bit messy at first but if you can wire shit up right you can make it look fancy.

And neg my elitist hate stays here, not too sure where you got the elitist hatred bit from too considering I'm just saying you're making the installation of EMG pickups to be more harder then what it really is.

Quote by ethan_hanus

The schecter doesn't have a pickguard at all. The control cavity is accessed at the back and as such no strings need to be taken off. It's just a plate there is literally nothing on the other side aside from some foil. It's a 2 minute job to change batteries. There is no need for a battery cavity.

Quote by archetype713
Hey guys I don't need the fighting here :P just want what will give me the best sound. If I go the emg route I will just buy a new guitar, I had no plans of routing out the Schecter. The thread is on whether I should get a good set of passives for my Schecter or just buy a new guitar with emg's.

OMG can't believe I have to repeat it again (I believe) you don't need to route out your guitar to install EMG pickups full stop. It's an option which IMO is a waste for a guitar like yours where to access your control cavity it's all on the back held with a plate screwed down by 5 screws. If you really want EMG's then go for them they're about $100 for one and they come with everything you need and I believe that you don't even need to be skilled with a soldering iron to install them at all.

As for 'best' sound that's all subjective mate your best bet is to go to a guitar shop and try out guitars with emg active pickups and run it through an amp similar to yours and see if it's the sound you want.
Last edited by azn_guitarist25 at Dec 7, 2009,
Quote by Telewanger
Any guitar that you have should be taken to a setup man right after you get it. He can adjust the truss rod, intonation, pickups, pickup volume levels, all for $50.00 to $100.00.

You should really learn to do that stuff yourself. It's actually not that hard. That way you can get your guitar setup faster and save yourself alot of money. I do all the work on my guitars myself.
Quote by tommyt
Possibly, but to be honest with my epi i just leave 2 screws in, doesn't take long to undo and even added up over the years, it's a lot less hassle than routing anything.

Yeah, but I have a strat with the KH-21 pickguard, and I have to take the strings off then the pickguard, replace the battry without pulling any wires out then carefully squeez everything back in there so nothing is contacting and causing a short or crushing any pots. I would perfer a routeing in the back for a seperate place for it but I dont have the money nor the skill to route out a spot for it.

But anyway, enough of the bickering. Ts, it depends on what type of tone you like the most, actives give a certian tone but lack in other areas, and passives give a certian kind of tone but lack in some areas as well. Its really a guessing game based on your guitar, your playing style, your amp, your pedals, etc to create the tone your looking for. Cause I can reccomend you any kind of good pickup and it will sound good, but when you are replaceing pickups your usually looking for a certian kind of sound, not just sounding good.

So what kind of tone are you looking for?
Quote by ethan_hanus
Yeah, but I have a strat with the KH-21 pickguard, and I have to take the strings off then the pickguard, replace the battry without pulling any wires out then carefully squeez everything back in there so nothing is contacting and causing a short or crushing any pots. I would perfer a routeing in the back for a seperate place for it but I dont have the money nor the skill to route out a spot for it.

Do you use your trem much?
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Do you use your trem much?

Yup I have it set up for drop A# tuning right now, course the strings I have on it right now are too thick for the nut so it dosent hold its tuning as great as it would with lighter guage strings.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Yup I have it set up for drop A# tuning right now, course the strings I have on it right now are too thick for the nut so it dosent hold its tuning as great as it would with lighter guage strings.

Damn was going to recommend blocking it with the 9V battery then doubling that up to hold your battery
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Damn was going to recommend blocking it with the 9V battery then doubling that up to hold your battery

That could work, but I think the tension would crush the battery. Plus, why have a trem guitar if your just going to block the trem?
Quote by ethan_hanus
That could work, but I think the tension would crush the battery. Plus, why have a trem guitar if your just going to block the trem?

I'd highly doubt the battery would crush even if it does it's not your guitar will explode it'll probably have the paint slowly destroyed however. And you won't believe how hard it is to find a Caparison TAT hardtail it's next to impossible unless you're an endorsee.
Quote by ethan_hanus

But anyway, enough of the bickering. Ts, it depends on what type of tone you like the most, actives give a certian tone but lack in other areas, and passives give a certian kind of tone but lack in some areas as well. Its really a guessing game based on your guitar, your playing style, your amp, your pedals, etc to create the tone your looking for. Cause I can reccomend you any kind of good pickup and it will sound good, but when you are replaceing pickups your usually looking for a certian kind of sound, not just sounding good.

So what kind of tone are you looking for?

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I know a lot of this is subjective and I've been kinda vague on explaining. I just don't have the means to go play like 10 guitars extensively to find one I like, so I come here for opinions and try to narrow the list that way.

Tone wise I just think my sound is too dry, I don't feel like I get that depth and heaviness to my palm mutes that I should. I know I can't get the quality of the bands I listen to just because it's professionally produced, but I feel it should be smoother and deeper. Again those terms can mean different things to people =/, but I want a heavy palm muting sound. My amp has plenty of distortion and I'm no expert on eq-ing but it's fine, so I just need pups that will give me that more crushing sound. I had always heard emg's were good for this, but now I'm hearing that this might be a misconception so I started looking into passives to simply replace on the Schecter.

I love playing my Schecter just looking for ideas on more ideal guitars . I mentioned this earlier but I think it got passed up, has anyone every played the Peavey V-Type NTB? Seems pretty decent but again I can't go play one.

Peavey V-Type NTB:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-V-Type-NTB-Electric-Guitar-511398-i1146977.gc
Well, its not a misconception that EMG's are good for heavy music, there actually great for it, but they sound compressed when you run too much gain through it. But passives have a more gritty and unclean tone to them, which is what alot of people like to keep, but not nessicarly great for that high gain metal that everyone like nowadays. Course there some. Barenuckle pickups will give you exactly what your asking for, but its gona cost some money, the Warpig by Barenuckles gives a very huge round and booming tone, and sound great for metal. I think they cost $150 per pickup.

But the main difference between actives and passives is compression. Actives have some compression going on to help with higher gain music, so they dont mud up, passives dont so they translate whatever your sound is and can possible mud up. Personally I think actives are more of a lead guitar pickup since they stay cleaner at higher gain.

But dont get me wrong, I can pull some very nice tones out of an EMG equiped strat and a Valveking amp using a DS-1 distortion pedal. But EQing is the key with EMG's. But thats my pointless explantion.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Well, its not a misconception that EMG's are good for heavy music, there actually great for it, but they sound compressed when you run too much gain through it. But passives have a more gritty and unclean tone to them, which is what alot of people like to keep, but not nessicarly great for that high gain metal that everyone like nowadays. Course there some. Barenuckle pickups will give you exactly what your asking for, but its gona cost some money, the Warpig by Barenuckles gives a very huge round and booming tone, and sound great for metal. I think they cost $150 per pickup.

But the main difference between actives and passives is compression. Actives have some compression going on to help with higher gain music, so they dont mud up, passives dont so they translate whatever your sound is and can possible mud up. Personally I think actives are more of a lead guitar pickup since they stay cleaner at higher gain.

But dont get me wrong, I can pull some very nice tones out of an EMG equiped strat and a Valveking amp using a DS-1 distortion pedal. But EQing is the key with EMG's. But thats my pointless explantion.

Thanks man, makes me feel less guilty about emg's lol. I would just hate to buy a new guitar for several hundred and then not get what I'm after. And I could afford the Warpigs or at least 1 of them for sure, so......Schecter C1+ with a Warpig or something like a ESP LTD ec-401 or ec-1000?
Quote by Smarglefarb

We don't need your bias. Schecter makes solid guitars.

I'd say just upgrade the pups, thats a good guitar, certainly not gonna wear out anytime soon.
Quote by archetype713
Thanks man, makes me feel less guilty about emg's lol. I would just hate to buy a new guitar for several hundred and then not get what I'm after. And I could afford the Warpigs or at least 1 of them for sure, so......Schecter C1+ with a Warpig or something like a ESP LTD ec-401 or ec-1000?

Well, Mattyus uses a warpig(I think, he uses Barenuckles that I know) in Ibanez RG7620 in the song Limb. Here, listen to the song Limb here: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=762150
This should give you an idea about how good Barenuckles sound.
Quote by xDarrellx87x
Really it's a nice guitar, you have no information backing up
your opinion which I find quite flawed and childish
frankly a sad comeback if you ask me

you got the wood, bridge, and neck thru for tone
and with right strings and pickups you have
a great guitar

But it wasn't a comeback. It was just an accurate description of how lame Schecters are. Not to mention, they look tacky as ****.
I'll pry open your sphincter and brutally **** you raw.
Quote by Smarglefarb
But it wasn't a comeback. It was just an accurate description of how lame Schecters are. Not to mention, they look tacky as ****.

Not really an accurate description just an opinion.
Quote by xDarrellx87x
Just change pickups, the guitar is perfectly fine, afterall I use it over my old
ESP MH-401 NT, i mean you already have the looks, the small scale to
use thick strings for more output on pickups, the wood in the neck AND body
the same, Grover tuners TOM pros bridge you will not find a guitar much better

I find the SH-6 bridge and SH-4 or SH-6 in neck is great for super super heavey
things but versitility is SH-2 N and SH-6 B

use 13-62 D'addarios with 12 and 15's Ernie ball plain strings for high notes
E standard to Drop-C

and 14-68 D'addarios for Drop-C to G# 13 and 16 Ernie plain strings

I've got a C-1 Plus, and I swapped to an SH-6 in the bridge... just need a new neck pup. It sounds beautiful on the bridge position though.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
seymour duncans FTW. all mine have SD in them and soon to put some Blackouts in my damien
~GEAR~
Dean Vendetta XM
Schecter Damien FR
SD 59/JB
Raven RG100H/RG412
Crate GT-15
Delta Lab Metal Distortion
Boss DS-1
Meastro Overdrive
DOD Tec8
EB STHB 10-52
Dava Picks