I'm looking for further advice here. My current amp is an Alexan: Scorpion Pro which I think is pretty bad. I've heard good stuff about Marshall and I think it's what Slash uses (which is my main play style) Which model would be best for my Epiphone SG or do you all have any other kind of great ideas? Pedals, Amps, anything
budget?

there are SOOOOO many options marshall wise and price wise. narrow your budget for us.

EDIT: since there has been no update im just going to go about recommending stuff.
if you've got a moderate- somewhat high budget definitely have a look at a Vintage Modern. slash actually uses this amp so this + a les paul (+ his fingers and ability) = his tone out of the box. my next suggestion is a Marshall 1987x. beware of this amp however. it is a non-master volume amp and is ball quakingly loud, and in order to get it slash's level of overdrive you will invariably have to crank the volume right up to 5 o'clock. there is no way around that.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Dec 7, 2009,
^ NO WAY! you live in Finding Nemo?! I'm so totally jealous dude!
back to helping TS.
Budget wise, you're looking at between 700-800US for something like a DSL head, then another 200-300 for a cab with G12T's or V30's to get the slash sorta tone from Marshall.

Whats your budget?
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
My budget is up to $150... Unless I absolutely have to put in some extra to make sure it sounds great. I'm playing on an Epiphone SG.
Not even by Marshall?? =/ I think I'll have to stick with mine now then until I can upgrade to something good.
Quote by Rcasa630
Not even by Marshall?? =/

Don't judge amps by brand.
The only Marshall you're close to getting is an MG. And they're shite
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
you might be able to find a decent marshall if you add a 0 onto the end of your budget and bought used.
Quote by eyebanez333
you might be able to find a decent marshall if you add a 0 onto the end of your budget and bought used.

Legit that helps put things into perspective. Thanks a lot and I'll continue saving.
Quote by Rcasa630
My budget is up to $150... Unless I absolutely have to put in some extra to make sure it sounds great. I'm playing on an Epiphone SG.

don't even think about looking at Marshall for $150. save up till you have at the very minimum, and i mean MINIMUM. $600.

you will not get anywhere close to "making sure it sounds great" for that budget. Good marshall amps are generally very expensive.

Quote by Rcasa630
Not even by Marshall?? =/ I think I'll have to stick with mine now then until I can upgrade to something good.

dude what do you mean not even by Marshall? Marshall amps are not in any way budget amplifiers, they are expensive as hell.

This is not a Marshall:

it's $400

This is a Marshall:

it's $4500 with the cab
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Dec 7, 2009,
For slash, or GNR I suppose,
I recommend Vox VT30's or VT15's, which are slightly over your budget.
Hey, but those will sound much better than any marshall in this price range.
Plus it's easy to get Slash and classic rock tone.