Hey guys, I really need some advice here. Im deciding Im going to start learning songs by ear rather than just looking at tabs, but the other thing is that I've been wondering if I should just start buying more CDs and vinyls so that I can learn how to get better at playing guitar? You see when I download music off from the computer at times it can get annoying that I may not have enough space or the songs I want to learn arent available on certain programs. And you see this may seem kind of silly but I want to learn how to the same way many other musicians have learned in the past. Im pretty sure they didnt have tabs or computers back then , so they had CDs or vinyls and they will learn by ear. If they can get as good just from that I want to do the same, but I dont know how to go about this process so please guys help me out here so I can start progressing a lot better.

Thank you
If you want to learn the methods of other musicians your best bet would probably be more in video forms, so you can see what they're doing as opposed to only hearing.
Begin again in the night, let's sway again tonight.
Your arm on my shoulder, your cheek against mine.
Where can we go, when will we find that, we know.
no matter what Id say get the CDs and vinyl and turn this downloading nonsense off immediately.
Bands I must see in concert
Silvertide
The Black Crowes
Jackyl
Black Stone Cherry
AC/DC
StoneRider
Freedomhawk
The Darkness and/or the sideprojects of the band members
Buckcherry
The Answer

Theres more. But those are the main ones
Im just wondering but how would you slow down the music of vinyls or CDs when learning songs because I would wonder how musicians back in the day would learn songs that might have been fast or even solos?
Quote by swordsman14
Im just wondering but how would you slow down the music of vinyls or CDs when learning songs because I would wonder how musicians back in the day would learn songs that might have been fast or even solos?

You just have to listen to it over and over until you get it.
Quote by aRandomSandwich
Walk in on your first day cover in butter and flop your knob out on the managers desk, this will show confidence, and your boss like that in a man, he likes that a lot, he also likes his penis in a man... work hard now y'all...

If it's a song I really want to master I just play along with it over and over. I don't see why format is an issue.
Unless all you have is an 8 track. That's brutal.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by swordsman14
Hey guys, I really need some advice here. Im deciding Im going to start learning songs by ear rather than just looking at tabs, but the other thing is that I've been wondering if I should just start buying more CDs and vinyls so that I can learn how to get better at playing guitar? You see when I download music off from the computer at times it can get annoying that I may not have enough space or the songs I want to learn arent available on certain programs. And you see this may seem kind of silly but I want to learn how to the same way many other musicians have learned in the past. Im pretty sure they didnt have tabs or computers back then , so they had CDs or vinyls and they will learn by ear. If they can get as good just from that I want to do the same, but I dont know how to go about this process so please guys help me out here so I can start progressing a lot better.

Thank you

how can someone that learns guitar by listening to vinyl be as better a guitarist then someone who learns guitar by listening to CD's
Is this a serious question?

Format doesn't matter. If you can hear it well, you can learn from it.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I don't know if it true or not. But there was this guy that I knew who said back in the day he learned everything by ear; one of the tricks he employed was he would pla y the 45's at the same speed as a 33 1/3 and it would play everything slower and one octave lower. So he could figure out more of the complex parts of songs.
Quote by pepsi1187
how can someone that learns guitar by listening to vinyl be as better a guitarist then someone who learns guitar by listening to CD's

No I dont mean it like that, I mean if Im downloading music from limewire, sometimes the songs I want to learn arent there or too many songs downloaded on my computer may crash it. And besides, Im pretty sure that it will be a lot faster to just play a CD or vinyl record than wait for about 5 min or more to turn on your computer, sign in, and upload limewire or any other program just to play along to a song you want to learn.
Quote by Captain Insano
I don't know if it true or not. But there was this guy that I knew who said back in the day he learned everything by ear; one of the tricks he employed was he would pla y the 45's at the same speed as a 33 1/3 and it would play everything slower and one octave lower. So he could figure out more of the complex parts of songs.

He failed to tell you that he was incredibly stoned and also spent hours looking for back masking.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by swordsman14

Thank you

BAM THATS YOUR ANSWER GOOD SIR!

Quote by swordsman14
No I dont mean it like that, I mean if Im downloading music from limewire, sometimes the songs I want to learn arent there or too many songs downloaded on my computer may crash it. And besides, Im pretty sure that it will be a lot faster to just play a CD or vinyl record than wait for about 5 min or more to turn on your computer, sign in, and upload limewire or any other program just to play along to a song you want to learn.

unless your life span is very very very short.... I don't really see a problem with this. Especially considering that instead of now spending 5 mins dl'ing a song, you have to spend like a ****ing hour to go to some record store and dig through hundreds of vinyles until you find what your looking for, and than pay for it...
Last edited by Randal37 at Dec 7, 2009,