Well, I plan on setting up my guitar up in C standard, and I know theres some difference between C standard and B standard (I'm pretty sure something like its only half a step down, as opposed to a full step or something) but can you just drop the low C to a B when its in C standard and get drop B? I'd love someone just to clarify for me.

Second question, would .52's be too light for these tunings, or should I go for something more along the lines of a .56?

Thanks in advance
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
right now i have a guitar in C standard with 11-54s and my scale length is 25.5". personally i think the strings are just a tiny bit too floppy. go with the 12-56s especially since you said youll be playing in drop b as well.

whats your scale length? if its 24.75" you might even want to go to 13s for this but i think 12-56s would be perfect for 25.5"

edit: fyi your drop tuning for C standard is Bb. for drop B, you'll be in C#

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Last edited by SYLrules88 at Dec 7, 2009,
C stantard = CFA#D#GC, so to make a drop from that it would be drop A#, A#FA#D#GC.
Drop B would be BF#BEG#C#, and the stantard tuning of that would therefore be C# statard, C#F#BEG#C#.
As for the string gauge, .54 or .56 would be good for these tunings.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Ahh okay then. hmmm. And yeah scale length is 25.5. So, C# dropped is drop B?

Edit: ^Ah thank you, I get it now
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Last edited by splamron at Dec 7, 2009,
Quote by The^Unforgiven
C stantard = CFA#D#GC, so to make a drop from that it would be drop A#, A#FA#D#GC.
Drop B would be BF#BEG#C#, and the stantard tuning of that would therefore be C# statard, C#F#BEG#C#.
As for the string gauge, .54 or .56 would be good for these tunings.

listen to this person. I play in C standard. I use d addario ej22 strings. .13-.56. Great for c standard. Not floppy and aren't hard to bend. If you go lighter it's easier to bend chrods out of tune. So if you do t have really good finger control I'd get .56
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
ok, string gauges, i'd go for some 12's if your goin for the Drop B tuning, and I think 12's will be ok for C standard too. so, if you want Drop B, tune to C# standard. or if you go C standard, you'll be going Drop A#
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
personally I use to use 14-58 for Drop-C
had a fair amount of tension on the neck
E standard would be really tight
this was back when I use to use Ernie Ball strings

I'd say you need at least 13-56 minimal
you always want a good bit of tension
however 11-52 also works
Ibanez AEL10E BLK- W/ Graph Tech Nut, Saddle and Pins
Duncan Woody XL Pickup w/ stock fishman EQ

Schecter C1+ Darksunburst w/ SH-4 (N) & SH-6 (B) 24.75"
Gain boost Switch
11-14-21w-38w-49w-60w D'Addario strings
ENGL Fireball+Savage+Vader Cab
I actually just took the strings off my 7 string because I was replacing them and put the lower six on mine. It gets really tense when you go any higher than C or D standard, but lower tunings are perfect.
99% of my posts will probably be entirely misinformed, malformed, malware infested, and... marmalade topped.

Oh, and your tongue is on fire.