im looking into getting a new amp in the near future and my question is this, Ive always been told that you as a bassist, need at least 3 times the wattage as your guitarist. Is this true? My guitarists both use 100 watt TUBE guitar amps. Will 300 watts still be enough or should i go for more?
Ibanez SR 505
Brice Defiant 6 lizardburst (soon to have)
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Boss GT10B (soon to have)
depends on how loud your guitarists and drummer play, 300w should be fine unless they played fully cranked
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
they dont honestly but im really gasing for 700 watts. believe it or not my guitarists actually want to be able to hear me while we play. we have a very bassy sound. so should i go for more power or am i being to greedy?
Ibanez SR 505
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
It all depends but tube amps for guitar seem to throw sound farther which makes them seem lounder and fuller, both my guitarists use 125 watt solid state marshalls and i keep up with them with my 350 watt tube amp, tube is just a different tone, i personally think its better for guitar but dont sound too bad for bass, in a sense your right about being louder than the guitarists if they got powerfull tube amps, you would want about anywhere from 300-400 watts, most 15' and 4-10' cabs can handle that
Schecter Scorpion 4 Neck Thru with EMG Hz's
Schecter Custom 4 with EMG Hz's
Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver D.I.
Kustom Groove 1200 HD Solid State Amp
Kustom Groove 8-10"s
BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer
Quote by systematic_nois
they dont honestly but im really gasing for 700 watts. believe it or not my guitarists actually want to be able to hear me while we play. we have a very bassy sound. so should i go for more power or am i being to greedy?

i don't blame them. Me being a bass player myself, i always push my bassist to crank up the amp, i just love that beefy low end sound, it makes everything sound more effective.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
while were on the subject, can anybody suggest me a head? my budget is $500US
Ibanez SR 505
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Quote by systematic_nois
while were on the subject, can anybody suggest me a head? my budget is $500US

I read that wrong

moving on... A decent solution to your problem could be a Hartke LH500. Suitable for most any genre, cheap, reliable and 500 watts.
Oh and it's hybrid too.
I love mine (1000w version)
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Is the $500 just for the head? If so, there are alot of mid range heads out there with a lot of juice for that kind of money. Just try out a bunch and go with what you like.
I don't know. My guitarist plays out of a 60 watt 2x12 combo amp [Peavey 5150] and I used a Peavey Maxx Bass 112 which is a 35 watt 1x12 combo amp, and I only had to go to 5 while he was at 3 and everyone in the band can hear me just fine. I only go to 7 while he went to 5 for shows that we were put through the PA.

So I don't think you need to be above them so much, unless you all crank your amps to maximum volume [why anyone would do that is beyond me], so much as you just need to have your volume cranked up louder then theirs. I was just above half the watts, and only needed to be 2 notches above him.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10