I got my first bass, an Epiphone Thunderbird, this summer, and it worked pretty well when I first got it, but one day it developed a very loud buzz. The strange thing is that when I touch the strings or any other metal part on the bass, it gets LOUDER. Unbearably loud. I've tried it on a different amp and the same problem persisted, just a little quieter. When I took it in to Guitar Center they said to buy a new cable, but that didn't really work :\. I can do any tests you guys want me to I just want the buzzing to stop.
If it's not the cable it could be:
-Input jack
-wire come loose inside
-grounding problem
or all of the above

someone tell me if I'm missing something
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Yeah, Cable would be my first choice but it's not that.
so it's likely to be something that's worn.
input jack, pick up selector.
Open it up and take a peek inside first with the amp still on, that might help isolate the problem.
I don't know much else.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by gilly_90
If it's not the cable it could be:
-Input jack
-wire come loose inside
-grounding problem
or all of the above

someone tell me if I'm missing something

I forgot to mention: IF you touch the metal part of the cable, the buzzing quiets ALOT, but it's still there. Anyway I could test to see which it is?
First thing I would do is take the back (or front, depending on routing) off and check if something is obviously wrong with the electronics
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Have you left it in a cold/hot place?
Changing the temp dramatically can alter the shape.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by Nameless742
Have you left it in a cold/hot place?
Changing the temp dramatically can alter the shape.

Not really... just my bedroom
Quote by anarkee
That really sounds like a grounding problem to me.

+1

Definitely sounds like a grounding problem.
Quote by Zycho
+1

Definitely sounds like a grounding problem.

Sorry I'm new to all this but do I just go get it checked out like at Guitar Center or somewhere like that?
I don't know about the Thunderbird, but a lot of basses follow the Fender practice of running a ground wire out through the top of the bass and under the bridge. It isn't soldered onto anything; it just touches the bridge and that's your ground. Sometimes the wire gets so flattened and the bridge rises a fraction of a millimeter and you lose some of your ground. In that case, take off the bridge, twist the ground wire a few turns to thicken it up a bit. and screw the bridge back on. That generally solves the problem.

Again, I don't know how Gibson/Epiphone grounds the Thunderbird, but your buzzing problem is almost certainly a grounding problem. However it gets fixed, it will be easy and cheap.