Page 1 of 2
I've seen alot of business lately regarding the signs that atheist groups have put out about their beleifs, and how the Christian/Catholic groups are "OUTRAGED!" I know there's already similar threads, but i feel like this one has a slightly new conversational aspect.

Question: Is it any more offencive for there to be pro-atheistic advertisements than pro-religious advertisements?

My feelings will be disclosed later, after I see a few responces, or never if this thread is closed.
Quote by Meths

fret-less is wrong on most of his other points though. And he's an idiot.
Quote by Mr Lincolnlogs
Whos penis is small? fret-less's

FREE COREYSMONSTER! I'm not changing this until you RE-BAN CoreysMonster forever.
(He was mean to me once, and I'm a petty man)
I don't think atheists should have a place in society, so no.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I simply walk past the signs, like every other sensible person that isn't caught in the shit flinging contest.

"All right, i don't believe in god, too. *pats self on back"

"What the fuck, there's people that want to destroy god? They must be stopped"

Those are the two reactions i expect.
Last edited by bendystraw at Dec 7, 2009,
I think they should have just as much rights as any religion to post their views otherwise we are just manipulating people into religeous beliefs through media.
Quote by bendystraw
I simply walk past the signs, like every other sensible person that isn't caught in the shit flinging contest.

"All right, i don't believe in god, too. *pats self on back"

"What the fuck, there's people that want to destroy god? They must be stopped"

Those are the two reactions i expect.

Can't destroy something that doesn't exist!

ZING!
Well,I don't really care.I'm not so weak willed as to be fooled into believing in God because of a fancy sign,and I'm also not small minded enough to take satisfaction in a sign saying there isn't a god.

It's just people pushing their beliefs and marketing them towards others.It's stupid no matter what the belief may be.Keep it to yourself,nobody cares.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I agree, Atheist have a stupid logo. Good band though.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Meh, i find it just as weird walking past religious signs. Like this one that said "Jesus: Lord, liar or lunatic?". Loaded question much? Keep your personal convictions to yourself I say, kthxbai
The difference is the pro-theist ones are meant to recruit. Christianity in the Western world is dying out with the younger generations, who are beginning to break away from their Christian background and become more agnostic/atheist. As a result, churches are attempting to get more people "into" religion. A more aggressive "scare tactic" approach is used in the US (although not explicitly on their signs, the general attitude ot Christian "fundies" and some media work to "scare" the responder into Christianity with Hellfire and threats of eternal damnation), while more "people-friendly" tactics such as "Jesus - All About Life" are used here in Australia. Either way, they are attempts at recruiting new members.

The pro-atheist signs are merely meant to raise awareness. Notice how no such signs are erected in Australia? And how extremely few are erected in the UK? That's because atheism in such countries is more accepted by the mainstream. In the US, however, atheists are often villified for their beliefs by theists. The pro-atheism signs are an attempt at raising awareness of atheism and how atheists can still be "good without God". They are in no way trying to recruit.
What is mountains? A mountains has no special shapes or sound!

Epic Chill Broseph Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.

Quote by Tgalea
I think they should have just as much rights as any religion to post their views otherwise we are just manipulating people into religeous beliefs through media.

+100000
GEAR:

Jackson dk2m

Marshall jcm2000 dsl

Schecter omen6 diamond series

How dare atheist's shove their twisted views down our conservative throats

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by neopowell

I agree, Atheist have a stupid logo. Good band though.

They are totally awesome.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
In my opinion, this destroys what my idea of atheism is. It's against organized religion, so why are you organizing anything at all? It defeats the purpose entirely.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
How dare atheist's shove their twisted views down our conservative throats

████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai

The Passion Of St. Tibulus

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Atheists don't believe in Jesus Christ our Lord and I find that very offensive. I think Conservapedia sums it up rather well:

Moral depravity: The history of the atheist community and various studies regarding the atheist community point to moral depravity being a causal factor for atheism. In addition, there is the historical matter of deceit being used in a major way to propagate atheism from the time of Charles Darwin onward. Also, Bible exegesis points to the moral depravity of atheists. Moral depravity is certainly one of the prime causes of atheism.

Amen. Can I hear it for Jesus!
when the religious can prove the existence of a god, then i'll consider listening to their complaints about being offended
When all is said and done, it's just advertising.
You can have a billbord that basicaly claims to tell you which is the best soap powder or a billboard that claims to tell you which is the best religion or philosophy.

It's no different.

People aren't up in arms about soap powder adverts, even if they strongly believe that Persil is better than Daz but the billboards say differently, so why should they get so steamed up about people advertising their religious or philosophical points of view?
I don't think the issue is dependant on what side of the line you're on. It's simple; if you have a sign that's offensive or insults another group of people then you're out of line, basically.

If a Christian had a sign up saying 'You're all going to burn in hell' then that Christian is, to be honest, a wanker.

If an Atheist had a sign up saying 'all Christians are dumbasses' then he too is a wanker.

It doesn't matter what the subject is though really. If I saw a Chelsea fan with a sign saying 'All Arsenal fans are twats' then I'd just think to myself... who's the real twat in all of this?

To sum up, if a sign is offensive, it's offensive. It doesn't matter who it's aimed at.
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat,
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
Quote by This_Kidd
I don't think the issue is dependant on what side of the line you're on. It's simple; if you have a sign that's offensive or insults another group of people then you're out of line, basically.

If a Christian had a sign up saying 'You're all going to burn in hell' then that Christian is, to be honest, a wanker.

If an Atheist had a sign up saying 'all Christians are dumbasses' then he too is a wanker.

It doesn't matter what the subject is though really. If I saw a Chelsea fan with a sign saying 'All Arsenal fans are twats' then I'd just think to myself... who's the real twat in all of this?

To sum up, if a sign is offensive, it's offensive. It doesn't matter who it's aimed at.

So when I see an advert that says that 'whatever' product is, 'more effective than other leading brands', I'm actualy reading something offensive?
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Passion Of St. Tibulus

Great film, do you remember the bit where he tried to take that banana off that other lad?
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
jus like a throwin it out their, wa has this got to do with a gutiar website,

and i think religion is all a bit silly tbh :P
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Christians: You're all going to hell, this, this and this is wrong and punishable by God. Bad things are happening because you're being punished by God for all your sins.

Completely accurate, because Christians don't believe that Christ saves people from this. Ya know, coz Christ isn't at the centre of Christianity, nor is he the namesake of the group. You're 100% correct in saying that Christians believe that absolutely everyone goes to hell and they can't do jack shit to help it, and there isn't a single mention of any sort of salvation in their beliefs, nor in their advertisements. None at all.

You see what I'm getting at here don't you?

edit:
Quote by SlackerBabbath
So when I see an advert that says that 'whatever' product is, 'more effective than other leading brands', I'm actualy reading something offensive?

It probably is to a high ranking employee of the other leading brand.
Last edited by kenan6346 at Dec 7, 2009,
Quote by kenan6346
Completely accurate, because Christians don't believe that Christ saves people from this. Ya know, coz Christ isn't at the centre of Christianity, nor is he the namesake of the group. You're 100% correct in saying that Christians believe that absolutely everyone goes to hell and they can't do jack shit to help it, and there isn't a single mention of any sort of salvation in their beliefs, nor in their advertisements. None at all.

You see what I'm getting at here don't you?

edit:

Fundies do. They can die in a fire.
Quote by neopowell
Great film, do you remember the bit where he tried to take that banana off that other lad?

That wasn't a banana Dougal...

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Alexander_BR
See what I'm getting at here?

Not at all.

edit:
Quote by Alexander_BR

Meh, they probably will.
<.<
>.>
Last edited by kenan6346 at Dec 7, 2009,
Maybe if Christians proved that their silly little god existed, then we would never have to have this discussing. One would think that after the "2000" years since Christs death someone could have provided some evidence for all of the naysayers who decide to not wander so blindly in our modern age.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
Quote by Alexander_BR

I don't know what would happen if a TRUE fundie came along, not just some old person condemning whatever they want using the name of Christ, a fundamentalist who truly tries to live his life for God.

Either people would see him and go "wow, he's a nice guy" or they'd crucify him.

EDIT: And ^
That would totally ruin the concept of "faith" now, wouldn't it?
Religion as a whole gets a fair amount of advertising because they generally have big signs saying "Come in and share the love" etc outside their churches/mosques/whatever. Atheism obviously doesn't have the whole coming together in one place thing, so, since they are entitled to their fair share of exposure, since it's a valid belief system, they should be allowed to put up "adverts".

I'm an atheist, in case you hadn't noticed.
UG and Sporcle are both fantastic time wasting devices.
I don't think it offensive at all to not believe in God.

But you really should believe in the searchbar. It does exist. I have proof!

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1218885

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1241482
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by bowdowntomono
Religion as a whole gets a fair amount of advertising because they generally have big signs saying "Come in and share the love" etc outside their churches/mosques/whatever. Atheism obviously doesn't have the whole coming together in one place thing, so, since they are entitled to their fair share of exposure, since it's a valid belief system, they should be allowed to put up "adverts".

I'm an atheist, in case you hadn't noticed.

They should stop calling them "adverts". It's not like they're trying to recruit people to become atheist...or are they?
Quote by kenan6346

So if he sees an advert for a competing brand, does he organise a smear campaign and demand that the adverts be ripped down, or does he develop a better advert for his own brand?
That's why I put it in quotation marks, I just couldn't think of a better word.
UG and Sporcle are both fantastic time wasting devices.
Quote by denfilade
They should stop calling them "adverts". It's not like they're trying to recruit people to become atheist...or are they?

Eh,that's where it gets a bit hazy.They could be simply trying to raise awareness about Atheism in a society where mainstream culture looks down on such beliefs,kind of a "Hey,you aren't alone out there buddy" type thing.At the same time,it could be a subtle form of advertising,since someone who is on the fence may find the push they need to become Atheist from seeing that there are others like them out there.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by dantheguitarist
In my opinion, this destroys what my idea of atheism is. It's against organized religion, so why are you organizing anything at all? It defeats the purpose entirely.

Atheists are not necessarily non-religious, for example Buddhists are often considered atheist. Atheism refers more to not believing in a god or theism (the belief that there is at least one god).
Quote by SlackerBabbath
So if he sees an advert for a competing brand, does he organise a smear campaign and demand that the adverts be ripped down, or does he develop a better advert for his own brand?

Depends on what brand it is.
Page 1 of 2