Hello,
Im looking for some sort of practice amp of 15-30W ,
Ive been looking at Marshall MG4 series MG15 FX one, but ive searched for it in the forums and have read some bad comments about it.

So my price range is 150-300$ for an amp for home use (15-30W probably)
I want to archieve slash-like sound, i mostly play GnR, Thin lizzy, Motley crue and so-like rock bands.
My guitar is a Bc Rich Mockingbird ST with Rockfield Mafia open humbuckers ( ill change em to Alnico 2 pro when i get some money)

Do you think getting the Marshall MG4 MG15FX is a good choice?
Thanks in advance!
vox vt15/30
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
the frontmans+MG's CLEANS arent that bad... but considering you like the rock, try for a lil tube amp. Or a Vox Valvetronix.
Quote by texzephyr
the frontmans+MG's CLEANS arent that bad... but considering you like the rock, try for a lil tube amp. Or a Vox Valvetronix.

I honestly can't stand the frontman's clean channel. However, it's the better channel on the amp to be honest .

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
superchamp xd gets my vote in the $300 new range.

bazillion options open up for used amps at that price.

nearest major city for used amp search?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Definitely not!

I'd recommend a 5w tube amp, as there are quite a few of them. Based on your influence, you're not gonna need a whole lot of effects and different amp models and you'll be getting real tone.

You're probably gonna have to go 2nd hand at that price range however, but I'd really recommend saving up it'll be so worth it. Blackstar HT-5 or Marshall Class 5, most people swear by the Blackstar which is better for higher gain stuff.
Oh, and 5 tube watts = about 15 solid state watts. So it should be plenty loud.

If you can't get the cash together for whatever reason, go for a Peavey Vypyr (at the loudest wattage you can afford/need) or a Roland Cube30X or Cube60.

Ones to avoid: Marshall MG, Line 6 Spider, Fender Frontman.

Nah
The Peavey Vypyr is a great deal for the price, and the 15w is pretty loud for a little practice amp. It gives you multiple different tonal options because of the various amps that are modeled, including both the clean and distorted channels.

You could also check out the Roland Cube series. They have some great amps for practicing, and again provide many different options for tone.

Since you're looking for a smaller amp with rock tones I would recommend staying away from tube amps because generally you won't have as many tonal options. However, tube amps DO have better sound in most instances, but for practice amps at a low price and small wattage I would stick with the Vypyr series or the Cube series.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by Vecheka

Since you're looking for a smaller amp with rock tones I would recommend staying away from tube amps because generally you won't have as many tonal options.

Well, a tube amp might not have all the gimmicks of a modeling amp, but they do have kickass rock sounds and at least fairly decent clean tones, some ultra-high gain monsters notwithstanding. So, if TS is looking for a little practice amp with good rock sounds, I can't really think of anything better than a small tube amp. And besides, you'll enjoy that little tube amp years from now, whereas you are very likely to outgrow a (cheapo) SS modeling amp quite fast.
Quote by zipa
Well, a tube amp might not have all the gimmicks of a modeling amp, but they do have kickass rock sounds and at least fairly decent clean tones, some ultra-high gain monsters notwithstanding. So, if TS is looking for a little practice amp with good rock sounds, I can't really think of anything better than a small tube amp. And besides, you'll enjoy that little tube amp years from now, whereas you are very likely to outgrow a (cheapo) SS modeling amp quite fast.

While I agree with you mostly, I think that some of the modeling amps that have been released recently are actually pretty good. I've been playing for a while and I just got a Vypyr as a practice amp, and I am really impressed with it to be honest. I've had bad experiences with modeling amps in the past, but I think that some of the more recent modelers actually have some decent tone and output.

Of course, you're correct in saying that a small tube amp can get great rock tones. I love my Classic 30, but I wouldn't recommend it for small bedroom practice because its always better when you can actually crank up the volume. I'd still go with a small modeling amp in his situation, but of course there are other good alternatives as well.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Superchamp XD, tube tone while still being barely a hybrid, 16 amp voices, effects, 15 watts, 2 footswitchable channels. bla bla bla.

$299 new and does clean to classic rock to metal very well at bedroom levels.
Quote by gregs1020
Superchamp XD, tube tone while still being barely a hybrid, 16 amp voices, effects, 15 watts, 2 footswitchable channels. bla bla bla.

$299 new and does clean to classic rock to metal very well at bedroom levels.

I want one of these so badly... And I have no use for it whatsoever. That's how good they are.

Edit: I thought I should caveat that; every couple months when I am visiting my parents I end up going to their church. The church uses a Superchamp XD miced into their MASSIVE PA system for their lead guitarist. I'm always blown away at how great it sounds... You'd think there was a blackface Twin on stage with your eyes closed.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Dec 7, 2009,
Quote by Vecheka

Of course, you're correct in saying that a small tube amp can get great rock tones. I love my Classic 30, but I wouldn't recommend it for small bedroom practice because its always better when you can actually crank up the volume.

Yea, I meant one of those nice little 5 watters from Blackstar, Blackheart etc. Although some (all?) of them would likely go over the $300 budget, though. Well, the cheaper ones are about $300, no?

And just to be clear, I'm not dissing the modeling stuff by any means. I just think that there are more "future value" in the small tube combos than in a modeling amp that will be technologically obsolete in a few years.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
Marshall Class 5.

$399.

Quote by zipa

And just to be clear, I'm not dissing the modeling stuff by any means. I just think that there are more "future value" in the small tube combos than in a modeling amp that will be technologically obsolete in a few years.
modeling technology is making leaps and bounds. while the 5 watt tube amps are on a spike at present (and I'm all for that spike lasting a long time), they generally offer little versatility. (former HT5 owner here - i do admit it's the most versatile I've tried)

either way - there are more options used as I posted earlier. what is your nearest major city? we ain't stalking, we find great used stuff all the time. clist, ebay, etc.
Quote by gregs1020

modeling technology is making leaps and bounds. while the 5 watt tube amps are on a spike at present (and I'm all for that spike lasting a long time), they generally offer little versatility. (former HT5 owner here - i do admit it's the most versatile I've tried)

+1

...and the superchamp is a cool little amp. It gets my vote.
Quote by gregs1020

modeling technology is making leaps and bounds.

Yes, that's what I meant by saying that today's modeling amp will be "so last year" in the near future (maybe that's what you meant as well?). It's just like with computers, the über-highend gaming PC's will look like grandma's old typewriter in a few years. The exact same is going to happen to the best (not to mention the more mediocre ones) modeling amps today. Whereas a tube amp was a tube amp 60 years ago, and will be a tube amp 60 years from now. Sure, if TS was needing a lot of versatility, a modeling amp would be a great choice, but since he mostly plays just rock'n'roll, why not get a nice little tube combo?
Quote by zipa
Yes, that's what I meant by saying that today's modeling amp will be "so last year" in the near future (maybe that's what you meant as well?). It's just like with computers, the über-highend gaming PC's will look like grandma's old typewriter in a few years. The exact same is going to happen to the best (not to mention the more mediocre ones) modeling amps today. Whereas a tube amp was a tube amp 60 years ago, and will be a tube amp 60 years from now. Sure, if TS was needing a lot of versatility, a modeling amp would be a great choice, but since he mostly plays just rock'n'roll, why not get a nice little tube combo?

i get you. i don't really put GNR and Crue into the same gain realm though which is why I rec'd the scxd. of the 16 voicings it has - i find about 5 of them useful in covering most genres. it's one to try with the others.

not a rec, but I had an old crate Vintage Club 2010 that covered it all pretty well, found it used for $150. ok, it's a rec if you can find one.
Hey,
Thanks for all the answers, really helped. I spent quite some time comparing amps and right now the ones i liked are:
Peavey Vypyr 75W
And the Fender Super Champ XD

Blackstar HT-5W looks nice aswell but it has no volume and that's a problem for me.

I generally liked the Peavey Vypyr a lot becouse of how versatile it is. I mainly play Rock but its always to fiddle around with sounds when i'm bored.
I also read that it has a lot of problems booting up and freezing ( having to be rebooted up to 15 times to start ) , has that problem been fixed? And whats your opinion about the amp?

Don't have much information about the Fender Superchamp XD but in all of the reviews it looks pretty good.

Also am i going to be able to archieve that Slash sound with those amps?

Thanks for the help guys!
You can't get a proper dirty tone out of a Marshall Class 5 unless you crank it though. It's a pointless amp if you ask me, way too loud for bedroom practice but not loud enough for jamming/drums(plus Marshall are hardly known for their clean/low gain sounds) I see no reason to get it over the Blackstar HT-5 which is around the same pric.e
I have the Vypyr 75 and I agree that its a very good amp. Considering the price you can get really great sounds out of it, and youre right its nice to be able to mess around with effects, I use quite a few though so its all good.

Also I chose the 75 because it offers the 12 inch speaker, which gives a fuller sound, and the advantage over the tube vypyr is that you dont have to crank it to get the best tone.
Quote by Axel1933

Blackstar HT-5W looks nice aswell but it has no volume and that's a problem for me.

What? It has a volume control for both channels, plus it has speaker emulation so you can use headphones for a totally silent practice.
Quote by holycow
vox vt15/30

This. I was pretty impressed when I tried one.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by zipa
What? It has a volume control for both channels, plus it has speaker emulation so you can use headphones for a totally silent practice.

+1

Wtf are you talking about TS? Do you think the amp isn't loud because it is 5 watts?
Ah my bad i was actually looking at blackheart something,

Alright so my choices are:
Peavey Vypyr 30W / 75W
Or the Blackstar HT-5H 5W head

I checked few videos of both and i really dig the sounds you can get out of the Vypyr but i like the tube sound of the blackstar just as much.
I guess that the blackstar would get closer to that slash sound due to it being a tube amp.
Could anyone guide me to which one i should get and why?
Thanks a lot
Quote by Axel1933
1. Blackstar HT-5W looks nice aswell but it has no volume and that's a problem for me.
2. Don't have much information about the Fender Superchamp XD but in all of the reviews it looks pretty good.
3. Also am i going to be able to archieve that Slash sound with those amps?

1. I think you are confused here...
2. The thing to keep in mind with the SCXD is that it is a modeling amp AND a small tube amp. You can even bypass the modeling and play it just as a standard 15 watt tube amp.
3. Both the Vypyr and the SCXD are capable of that level of gain, and general voicing. You won't be able to fool Slash himself, but to any non-guitarist bystander it'll be close enough.

I think you need to sit down with both... They are great choices, and you are on the right path, but I think some face time is in order. Any decent music shop should have both of these, so go out and try them... Why listen to us?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
try the vox ad vt/xl
I myself have a ad15vt, baught it before the xl came out
brilliant little amp, very loud too
loads of tones, I mean loads, very good too, some nice effects, though some I see as usless
tried the vypre 30, really good, get to a shop and try them out =], make sure you use your guitar or similar though
Yep, thanks a lot mate.
Was planning to , taking 400km bus trip friday to try the Vypyr since they dont have it in my town.
But between the Vypyr and Blackstar which one would you recommend me?
Alright so it is
Peavey Vypyr 75W - 300$
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W - 450$
Blackstar HT-5H Tube 5W - 400$
Fender Super-Champ XD 15W - 300$

It will be one of these i guess ,
Going to try to test them all this week
Quote by eyebanez333
+1

...and the superchamp is a cool little amp. It gets my vote.

I've got an Old 1970s Silverface champ I use for cleans that I picked up for cheap on the local market. You can't beat Fender Tube amps.

I'd again, recommend it anytime. I use an Orange AD5 for my main gritty tones, but I'm about to go out and get an OCD to boost either amp. Orange for Dist. and Fender for OD.

Again, get the champ.
Gear
Fender Jaguar > effects (x9) > Orange AD5

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE EUNEIROPHRENIAC σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Axel1933
Alright so it is
Peavey Vypyr 75W - 300$

the Blackstar HT-5H is a head. u need a cab if u buy the head. buy the combo version which is the HT-5C.

also try out the vox vt15 or 30. i have the vt15 and can get a good slash sound. there are 22 amp models and one of them is the Marshall Silver Jubilee which is the amp slash uses.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by Axel1933
Alright so it is
Peavey Vypyr 75W - 300$

Sounds like a decent list. Remember to bring your own guitar with you when you test them to avoid any unpleasant surprises in sound difference after having tested them with something totally different than your own guitar.

EDIT: Like said above, you'll want the Blackstar combo, not the head-only version.
Last edited by zipa at Dec 8, 2009,
Quote by jamesfarr
Nah

+1

15w ss vs 5w valve is a lot like your grand mother going to war with a street gang. no contest.

5 tube watts will compete with a drum kit... barely, but it can do it.

EDIT: btw, "slash" level of gain is not particularly high. infact, by contemporary standards, it's rather low. mids is what you're looking for.
Last edited by GrisKy at Dec 8, 2009,
If youre driving 400km to try the Vypyr make sure you spend a lot of time with it. It cantake a bit of fiddling to get the best tones out of it. May I suggest you visit here:

http://geronigroove.free.fr/vypyr/?choice=select

and maybe write down a few settings to try so you dont have to spend all day trying to get good sounds.
Quote by Axel1933
Alright so it is
Peavey Vypyr 75W - 300$

Some more to consider,
Vox AC4 - $250. 4w tube amp with built in attenuator to lower the wattage
Fender G-DEC - $250 and IMO better than the Super-Champ, but it is a modeler so keep that in mind.
Bugera Vintage 5w - another little tube amp. Never played it but it is only $150
Last edited by ghiyath at Dec 8, 2009,