Hey guys,

Just bought a Vox AC30CC1 and I'm pretty happy with it. The only problem is I liked it a lot better when I plugged it to my buddy's cabinet. Currently it has a Vox Neodog speaker and it's friggin' wank. It really dumbs down the sound of this thing.

Basically, I want a nice, open sound with a British flavor. Preferably something with AlNiCo magnets and rated over 30 watts. I'm currently looking at the Eminence Red Fang speaker.

Also, Vox users, any preference in tubes? Currently have a TAD 12AX7 (7025-S) in V1, an Electro-Harmonix 12AX7 and some old GE 5751 in the PI. JJ GZ34 in the rectifier position and JJ EL84 power tubes.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by richard_edwards
Rehaul and pillage!

But yeah, would you like to add something about the speakers?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
What kind of speakers are in your buddy's cab?

Those webers are nice.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
What kind of speakers are in your buddy's cab?

Those webers are nice.

He has a Celestion V30 and G12-75 in a 2x12 Traynor cab.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
The TAD tube I'm not familiar with. The EH tube is good, but not great. It's a good budget tube. The GE is awesome. Lower gain, but awesome. NOS GE tubes go for a pretty high price. If you like the 5751 tubes (my favourite - lower gain, only slightly lower output) RCAs are supposed to be the best NOS, and GEs are second or third, depending on the version. JJs are good too. They're probably the first stop on the upgrade ladder.

Buuuuuuut stock Vox speakers are known for kind of sucking. Whatever you get, make sure it's rated for 60 watts, unless you've done a lot of research. The speaker needs to be able to handle the amp's output. However, most British amps are rated at RMS, and many speakers are rated at peak handling. This means that when you actually play the amp loudly, those British amps will put out more than 30 watts. Unless you know for a fact that your tube amp is rated at 30 watts peak output, the rule of thumb is to pick out a speaker twice as high as what the amp says.
Quote by jean_genie
The TAD tube I'm not familiar with. The EH tube is good, but not great. It's a good budget tube. The GE is awesome. Lower gain, but awesome. NOS GE tubes go for a pretty high price. If you like the 5751 tubes (my favourite - lower gain, only slightly lower output) RCAs are supposed to be the best NOS, and GEs are second or third, depending on the version. JJs are good too. They're probably the first stop on the upgrade ladder.

Buuuuuuut stock Vox speakers are known for kind of sucking. Whatever you get, make sure it's rated for 60 watts, unless you've done a lot of research. The speaker needs to be able to handle the amp's output. However, most British amps are rated at RMS, and many speakers are rated at peak handling. This means that when you actually play the amp loudly, those British amps will put out more than 30 watts. Unless you know for a fact that your tube amp is rated at 30 watts peak output, the rule of thumb is to pick out a speaker twice as high as what the amp says.

33 watts clean. The speaker I was looking at is rated 50 watts I believe. I didn't pay that much for my NOS GE, maybe around 35 bucks? The TAD is great, very complex and dynamic tube. As for V2, the EH was my only choice as I didn't like JJ preamp tubes so much in that position and it's difficult to obtain other brand name tubes aside from JJ/EH/Tesla. I'm probably not going to swap the PI tube as the GE 5751 I have is still going strong.

Quote by WtrPlyr
The Bogner Alchemist 212 should be great for you. It has a Greenback and a G12H anniversary. Should be pretty sexy sounding

I need no cab, just a speaker and a Greenback would die if I turned this thing up.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
the 60 watt V30 would work. but if your looking for an alnico, go with a weber, jensen or eminence.
Quote by gregs1020
the 60 watt V30 would work. but if your looking for an alnico, go with a weber, jensen or eminence.

I don't like V30s. Had them with my 2204 as well as a G12-65. Ideally I want a woody tone kind of like a greenback but with more output to support the power of the Vox.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I don't like V30s. Had them with my 2204 as well as a G12-65. Ideally I want a woody tone kind of like a greenback but with more output to support the power of the Vox.

cool.

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/blue12a.htm

edit: probably more middy than the greenie, but it's one good option. in two speaker configs, it likes the silver bell.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Dec 7, 2009,
Quote by gregs1020
cool.

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/blue12a.htm

edit: probably more middy than the greenie, but it's one good option. in two speaker configs, it likes the silver bell.

I'm liking this one as well. I'm going to say that it's a toss up between the Red Fang and Weber Blue Dog.

Any other suggestions?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
The only thing that'll do it justice are the Celestion Alnico Blues

For a traditional Vox sound no doubt, but I run this thing I'm going for a Vintage Marshall roar (wut?). I link the channels and run this amp full tilt. I know that Celestion Blues (and the aforementioned Weber clones) would sound good with this amp but I'm wondering if maybe the Red Fang would be a suitable replacement as well? Obviously it wouldn't be like a Blue, I'm not expecting that. It would be cheaper for me to get the Red Fang up here and I figured the most important part to that Voxy sound is the AlNiCo magnet anyways.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I would really look into an Eminence Swamp Thang
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah