I'm currently playing some stuff in the vein of early Entombed, Dismember et al, but I don't really know enough scales that sound 'evil' enough for me to write my own solos. Can anyone give me some scales for death metal, or better yet tell me which scales are used on records such as Left Hand Path?

Thanks in advance.
Well.... i know cannibal corpse like to use the whole-half/half-whole scales and solos in that vein of metal are generally a lot of chromaticism and whammy bar usage. For my deathmetal, i like to use the augmented fifth scale... which is just a diminished scale added to a major scale.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
The search bar is your friend as this sort of question gets asked all the time. The general answer seems to go something like this:

A scale won't make you sound like (insert band\musician\genre). Look at some of the songs of your subject (band\musician\genre) and work out what they are doing so you can apply it to your own music.

I would assume that most of the time you'll be looking at the major or minor scale. Probably with some accidentals.
No, Locrian is hardly ever used in anything.

TS, your issue isn't scales - it's how you're using them. Concentrate more on the sounds of specific intervals such as the dependable tritone but most importantly you need to learn how to use dissonance.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Dec 7, 2009,
Scales which might hit the mark:

Minor
Phrygian
Phrygian Dominant
Harmonic Minor
Diminished
Dime Bag's "Symmetrical" which would start a half step back from the key you are in, and played the same exact shape all the way down with each string

For example, if you are in the key of E you'd start it on the Eb on 11th fret 6th string and play as follows Eb E and G - maintain that exact lead shape through the remaining 5 strings and you get a "mix" of different scales in one, including a Blues, Phrygian Dom and a Harmonic minor

If you are interested in learning more about theory, check out my series on you tube at the link in my sig.

Best,

Sean
Quote by steven seagull
No, Locrian is hardly ever used in anything.

Locrian is well known in Jazz, but in this context Death Metal, you'd be correct, and your note about the b5 (tritone) interval is well noted, also a m2 is a nice touch which, with the b5 makes things Phrygian.
scales aren't br00tal enough for death metal, try playing random notes and lots of accidentals
Quote by Sean0913
Scales which might hit the mark:

Minor
Phrygian
Phrygian Dominant
Harmonic Minor
Diminished
Dime Bag's "Symmetrical" which would start a half step back from the key you are in, and played the same exact shape all the way down with each string

For example, if you are in the key of E you'd start it on the Eb on 11th fret 6th string and play as follows Eb E and G - maintain that exact lead shape through the remaining 5 strings and you get a "mix" of different scales in one, including a Blues, Phrygian Dom and a Harmonic minor

If you are interested in learning more about theory, check out my series on you tube at the link in my sig.

Best,

Sean

It somewhat sounds like you mean the Locrian. I don't know though but yeah...lol
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Yeah. At first it just seemed like you meant make the tonic the 7th note of the scale.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid