Hey UG,

So..........I own an Ampeg VH-140c head (which I love ) and I'm running it into an Ampeg v4 cabinet (4x12).

I was noticing that I was getting a serious drop in tone and volume as of late and I was wondering what the deal was. At first I just assumed my eq kept moving or something like that so I kept playing with that but it wasn't really helping. I then realized that one of my speakers is basically blown. There still is some volume coming out of it but it doesn't sound good and it is very farty.

So one day after band practice, me and my drummer opened up the back of the cab (this is the first time I've done this) and I noticed something kind of interesting. The two speakers on the bottom are Celestion Vintage 30's rated at 8 ohms. The top two (one of which being the blown speaker) were these other speakers, I couldn't really read the brand name, which were rated at 16 ohms a piece.

So after talking to one of my good friends who is also a guitarist I decided that I was going to replace the two 16 ohm whatever-brand speakers. The question is, which speakers?

My buddy was telling me that I should look up Celestion rocket 50's. I looked into them a bit and found out that they are pretty good speakers, especially for the price, but the bass response in them isn't all it could be.

So after my huge story here I ask you.............what speakers would you recommend me throwing in my cabinet? Keep in mind that my head is rated at 8 ohms so I'd like to keep the speakers the same ohmage and I do already 2 Celestion Vintage 30's in there. And I am a poor college student so the more inexpensive the better

Thanks a bunch.
(Gear in profile)

Yes I do like metal, no I'm not a close minded idiot.
Have a look at Eminence speakers. I used to have a cab that I ran V30s and Eminence red coats in...sounded pretty good to me. I'm a V30 guy...but its nice to mix and match speakers in with them.
Yea I was going to look into Eminence speakers so I'll definitely look into these redcoats. Thanks man.

By the way I forgot to mention that I do play metal.

And yea I'd like to find something that would complement the V30's well.

Keep the suggestions coming!
(Gear in profile)

Yes I do like metal, no I'm not a close minded idiot.
Eminence Wizard.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I've heard great things about V30s and:

Classic Lead 80s (Though not necessarily for metal)
Celestion Greenbacks
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I'd look into either a Celestion G12K-100 or a Jensen C12K. They'd suit you perfectly.

Cheers!
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
The G12Ks cost the same as the V30s....
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
If you have two 8-ohm V30's, and two 16-ohm other speakers, then they're most likely wired in series-parallel (the 16-ohm speakers are wired in parellel - 16 + 16 = 8, then the V30's are in series, 8 + 8 = 16, and those are wired together 16 + 8 = 5.5 or so, so you're probably pushing your amp a bit hard with that) So you'd probably want to stick with similar wiring, but with four 16-ohm speakers, to get to 8-ohms. (But don't hold me to that, i'm not 100% positive)

As for speakers, V30's stock aren't that good, as compared to the older ones, and they're way overpriced as well, so you're probably better off getting either Eminence Swamp Thangs, Texas heat's, Governer's, or Wizards. Look at their spec's and choose whichever you think would be best for your situation, some give more low end, some give more high end, some give mids, so whatever you think you're lacking, you'll probably want to get. They're all under 100$ as well, you could even change out all 4 speakers for 300 dollars or so.
Quote by Steve46
thanks alot ice condition!! your the breast!

The best bosom in all of UG.