And a lot of people are telling me that, if I want gadgets, I should buy them there. So, has anyone here ever been there? COuld you give me advise of what to get? I was thinking of maybe getting a guitar, but that might be a bit too extreme, as I don't even know if I can take it with me on the plane (and you can't really call it a gadget). But really, does anybody know about things like phones or similar things there, what one should get and how expensive they are? Or if there's any good guitar stores in Hong Kong?
Thank you.
My Gear:
Gibson SG Classic
Les Paul knockoff >.>
Vox VT30 with footswitch
EHX Big Muff w/ Tone Wicker
You should get some good Kung Fu training.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Hong Kong is a party city, they also do the best copies of designer clothing and watches. If you aren't sure if the airlines won't let you bring back a guitar, them check out the airline's website, usually they let you. I brought a guitar from New York and they let me take it back home with out extra fees.
2010's Sexiest Female Uger

I'm already getting martial arts training here, nice suggestion, but no =P

E: Party city, eh? Got to remember that. And I suppose those clothes aren't too expensive as they're copies, right?
My Gear:
Gibson SG Classic
Les Paul knockoff >.>
Vox VT30 with footswitch
EHX Big Muff w/ Tone Wicker
Last edited by Randio at Dec 7, 2009,
Quote by Randio

E: Party city, eh? Got to remember that. And I suppose those clothes aren't too expensive as they're copies, right?

I wouldn't do the clothing thing if I were you, if they find out then you're fcked big time
Quote by lockedandlogan
Let me get this straight. You're asking a bunch of people who are sitting at their computers, likely due to boredom, what to do for fun.

Quote by GaijinFoot
Old chinese proverb says: Man goes to bed with itchy bum, wakes up with smelly finger

Wise words
Quote by Randio

Was just suggesting cause it's generally more readily authentic there if you can get someone to train you.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Pick me up the new pokemon game. Have a nice trip to the land of the roaming pikachu.
Quote by grimms
All I know is that if UG were a prison, all of us will either be dead, a prison bitch, or a dead prison bitch.

Yeah a 60 dollar shirt there is 10. You won't get in trouble for having them, Hong kong's economy seems to be based on counterfeiting, the police there don't even care about it.
2010's Sexiest Female Uger

It's hard to get a good deal in Hong Kong unless you speak Cantonese VERY fluently. The locals will know you're a foreigner and won't give you the best deal. Just remember, you HAVE to barter the price down. If you don't, it probably won't be any cheaper than buying it where you are.

Also, there are a lot of stores around, so if you can't get one guy to go low enough for you, go somewhere else. There are millions of stores that sell the exact same electronic gadgets, do not hesitate to walk out on them.

Guitars won't be much cheaper unless you're buying MIJ. You should check the policy for instruments on your airline before making any sort of purchase. It's a bit risky to take it on any part of the plane except for in the cabin with you.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Run! It's GODZILLAAAAA!

Just bring an empty guitar bag with you, and put your new guitar in it on the way back. When they ask you about it, just say you already had it with you when you came there.
Quote by The_Casinator
Run! It's GODZILLAAAAA!

Just bring an empty guitar bag with you, and put your new guitar in it on the way back. When they ask you about it, just say you already had it with you when you came there.

Godzilla is Japan.

But it's ok they all look the same.
Hong Kong

As to the question - it's quite true that you really need to be able to speak Cantonese fluently in order to get a good deal. I recommend you go to the markets in Mong Kok to get fashionable copies of things or Apliu Street for technology resources. Go ask one of the local people to help you out if you can - we're all very friendly and don't worry about people not being able to understand you, we all speak English but we just like to pretend that we don't.

If you're out for sightseeing go to Chungking Mansions, Lantau Island (to visit the Buddha and Disney Land) as well as Victoria Harbour. The only recommended guitar store in HK is Tom Lee Music (guaranteed authentic and you won't get ripped off - the biggest one is in Tsim Sha Tsui). The prices aren't really as cheap as you might think - pretty much the same as any Western Country. However, a lot of the music shops that you find in the shopping centres all sell cheap copies which you can buy without spending too much: now they are a lot cheaper than the guitars in UK, for example.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/75/Hong_Kong_at_night.jpg

^ Masssssssssssssive Skyline picture.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Dec 7, 2009,
check out the huge tom lee in tsimshatsui (cameron road) for guitars. all major brands are carried here, sometimes we have more variety than guitar center etc!

i love living here
A guitar in a gig bag is usually counted as carry-on luggage, so I'd say you'd be grand.
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

Just remember that whatever you buy you'll probably have to declare it at customs and pay taxes on it when you go back home; find out what your tax-free spend limit is before you go.
Hi, I'm Peter
Please do not attempt to smuggle drugs out of the country if you are caught YOU WILL BE HANGED OR SHOT. Dont get caught doing drugs there too. On a lighter note dont spit in public, also head to chinatown its awesome.