How would you go about getting a job with like fender or marshal designing amps and circuits. Im sure you'd need a degree in electronic design but other than that is it hard like do you have to know people or have like a harvard degree?
I doubt you would need a harvard degree, but you would definitely need some credentials that would prove your competence in electronics. Ideally you would need some sort of connections to get noticed more. Plus they would have to have the need to hire you. Try to find a newer company so you can get the experience, then you can move up.
Other relevant studies would be physics (mainly acoustics), software/DSP/digital electronics and the likes, since pretty much every major manufacturer are making modeling amps with digital fx as well.
Quote by ChucklesMginty

Yes, you'll probably need some experience at a smaller company before heading for Marshall and Fender...

Actually I'd say it's the other way around. Small companies are, well, small and have limited resources for hiring people, whereas it should be easier to get some entry level job at a bigger company, working at the assembly line or whatnot and then try to work your way up to the design department.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Well it helps to spell the companies name right.

But yeah, I would say an electronics degree of some sort would be a must...
My stepdad is an electronics engineer - Big amp companies only recruit when they have a new amp in R&D. So good luck getting a job with them, my stepdad is a contractor and is on the books of 3 differant agencies but has yet to be told about any jobs for marshall or another amp company so they may well only employ perminant staff (he did hear about some jobs at celestion a few years back but speakers aint is thing).

You will need a degree in electronics though a degree in physics will do, more importantly you need a decent CV (as you would to get a job with any good company). Trying to get some work with smaller amp companies might be a good idea, but they pay less and have less staff the up side is that there are more of them. You might be able to get a job doing repairs for an amp company that build there amps in England - that would be a good way to get your foot in the door. To get that becoming a decent local amp tech would be good - ***** yourself to clubs and venues to get your CV looking pretty.

For Fender/Messa living in America would be usefull, for Orange/Marshall/Hi Watt then living in England would be usefull.
,___,
[O.¬] - WTF?
/)__)
-"--"-
Call a shop, ask them for a tour and ask questions.
DBZ Barchetta Eminent FR
DBZ Bolero ST
DBZ Imperial FM
DBZ Venom Matte Black
Dean '79 V
Dean '79 ML
Fender Princeton Chorus
Behringer V-Tone 2/12
Asterope Cables
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Digitech Hardware Metal Distortion
Get an internship at big companies like fender, as an electrical engineering student.
/rig
Quote by harkkam
How would you go about getting a job with like fender or marshal designing amps and circuits. Im sure you'd need a degree in electronic design but other than that is it hard like do you have to know people or have like a harvard degree?
You probably wouldn't go to Harvard for an Electrical Engineering degree, by the way.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
working at Ibanez's Custom shop or ESP is what im interested at

but if want to work at Fender or Marshall you need some "certain skills" to make amps or you'll just be a sales contact
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Dec 7, 2009,
Quote by mespinos
Get an internship at big companies like fender, as an electrical engineering student.

This is probably the best advice here... IMO.

Quote by szekelymihai
you def need ambition

Why did this post make me laugh so hard?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Dec 7, 2009,