Hey, i have a question.
Do active pickups distorts the clean sound of the guitar?
(actually i want to know for the ibanez art120)
Last edited by Thodoris at Dec 7, 2009,
Most models do not, the JB does it very mildly
the Duncan Distortion does it a little more
but the SH-8 does it with gain set to 1/2
The JB and SH-6 alone need a little gain to
distort, you should be fine with what ever
pickup you choose just wouldn't pick SH-8

JB would probably be best for clean if you still
want to do rock stuff
Ibanez AEL10E BLK- W/ Graph Tech Nut, Saddle and Pins
Duncan Woody XL Pickup w/ stock fishman EQ

Schecter C1+ Darksunburst w/ SH-4 (N) & SH-6 (B) 24.75"
Gain boost Switch
11-14-21w-38w-49w-60w D'Addario strings
ENGL Fireball+Savage+Vader Cab
Quote by Thodoris
Hey, i have a question.
Do passive pickups distorts the clean sound of the guitar?
(actually i want to know for the ibanez art120)

you are aware of the fact that art120 has active pickups don't you?
Tama: Drum Kit Imerialstarr Superstar
Ibanez:GRG170DX Left Handed
Fender:American Standard Jazz Bass Left Handed
Ibanez:Toneblaster Combo Amp TBX30R
Marshall:MB Series Bass Guitar Amplifier
it depends on how much preamp headroom your amp has. and even if it does distort the cleans you can always roll back the volume to clean it up - afaik you lose less treble from rolling back the volume on an active pickup than you would with a passive.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
actually I'm playing with a pedalboard heh. do anyone here have art120? if yes, what do you think of it?
Quote by ethan_hanus
^ That explains why I get such good cleans with my EMG's, cause I think a 50 watt amp is plently of headroom.

Depends how hard you're running it - for decent sized gig levels you won't get a pristine sound out of 50 watts.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by ethan_hanus
^ That explains why I get such good cleans with my EMG's, cause I think a 50 watt amp is plently of headroom.
preamp headroom. Whether you have EMGs or not really does not affect power stage break up so wattage is not really a factor.
Quote by Thodoris
actually I'm playing with a pedalboard heh. do anyone here have art120? if yes, what do you think of it?
If you use a lot of pedals (especially distortion or overdrive pedals), active pickups aren't a smart idea. The vast majority of pedals are made with passive pickups in mind, so when you put the high output and expanded frequency range of active pickups though them they will, at the least, sound rather odd and not work or effect your tone in the way they're really supposed to. In the case of overdrive and distortion pedals, they just render active pickups pointless; in rock and metal music you use active pickups to drive an already cranked valve amp extra hard for more distortion, but if you alreayd use an overdrive pedal that is already driving the amp harder or if you use a distortion pedal then you just put the gain up on that (or buy a more ''extreme'' distortion pedal if your existing one is not enough), you don't use pickups to drive a distortion pedal harder. Active pickups are also sometimes used with very high quality solid state amps to get a really crystal clear clean tone for jazz but I think I can safely assume that's not what you're doing.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by al112987
preamp headroom. Whether you have EMGs or not really does not affect power stage break up so wattage is not really a factor.

I dont ever have to push it past half volume, so I never get tube breakup. But I play and record at less that 1/4 volume, and I use my amps preamp to record.

But I think wattage does play a factor with anykind of pickup. The less watts your amp has the sooner your sound is going to distort.
Hey thanks for your answers. The problem is that I'm left-handed and there aren't many guitars to select from. I found that Art120 and RG370DXL are in the same price range and I'm between these two. I've heard that the tremolo of the second one is crap but expensive and it brings up the price. I can't select one of these two. I need nice clean sound and metal sound like Linkin Park or SOAD. Which one do you think is better for me and why? Btw I'm using a Zoom G2.1U direct to my pc but i will upgrade soon. Thanks
With my EMG81 i had trouble getting it not to distort my clean sound, was always making it crunchy...... and im not using bad gear either. Got bareknuckles in now, similar output, clean as a whistle
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
You got passive or active ones? As I see Art120 have custom Ibanez active pickups. Is there anyone that have it here?