Page 1 of 2
ok, today in physics we were talking about waves, more specifically sound waves.

anyway, at one point during class we went over frequencies and decibels. Upon learning about the decibels my teacher said that if sound was set to a high enough decibel it could kill someone.

Is this true. I've heard of people loosing their hearing from to many decibels of sound but never having it kill them.

So yeah, is this possible, and if so how?
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.
Probably, but if it's like most fucked up things in science, there's no way we could produce a sound that loud.
Xbox Live GT: IX Michael IX
I would think it is possible.I know you can feel pain from too high decibles.
Quote by lol2theworld
I was about to diss kornflipsk8er, but then i realized hes an 03er and im an 09er.
I am inferior to him.

Quote by metalh3ad88
I am fairly certain that kornflipsk8er is GOD!!!11!!!!1!!
It is possible to break a glass with a certain frequency at a certain volume. Don't you think there is a frequency that, if played loud enough, could vibrate the skull to an extent that it would crack and you would die?

Interesting concept. SOUND WAR ANYONE?
If you vibrate someone enough, I imagine they'll die sooner or later.

stratkat
^ SIDS to the extreme?
My guitar build

My gear:
Blackheart Little Giant Combo
Epiphone Les Paul with Rio Grande TX/BBQ pickup set
Little Big Muff
Blues Driver
Quote by foob85

Quote by Beserker

I really don't want to go down in history as the person who started the next insurgency and then sound war.
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Kensai

Quote by Jackal58
I just read this:

The BBC reported in Oct 2006 on a 'mobile' sonic device which is being used in Grimsby, Hull and Lancashire and is designed to deter troublesome teenagers from lingering around shops in target areas. The device works by emitting an ultra-high frequency blast (around 19-20 kHz) that teenagers or people under approximately 20 are susceptible to and find uncomfortable. Age-related hearing loss apparently prevents the ultra-high pitch sound from causing a nuisance to those in their late twenties and above, though this is wholly dependent on a young person's exposure to high sound pressure levels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mosquito
Waves are energy, similar to gamma radiation. I guess that if the amplitude is big enough, you could kill someone.
Quote by Beserker

"A powerful ultrasound beam which can liquefy living tissue."
Quote by Rabidguitarist
Because the government would look like dicks if they suddenly started legalising substances when they've spent millions of pounds on lying to us about them.

Little do they know, they already look like dicks.
Sound war you say...

Ill go get a loud speaker, a microphone and ill have chris cornell scream into it...
If that sound isn't loud or high pitched enough to kill I don't know what is.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by foob85
It is possible to break a glass with a certain frequency at a certain volume. Don't you think there is a frequency that, if played loud enough, could vibrate the skull to an extent that it would crack and you would die?

I'd think all the muscles and skin and stuff would provide enough of a dampening effect to prevent that sort of cumulative resonance affect, but hell, I only know the math behind resonance, not the engineering.

But yeah, like that article said, get a large enough pressure affect from like an explosion or sonic boom or whatever, and it should kill a dude.
There will probably be a signature here at some point.
I'm pretty sure that a loud enough bass kick can mess with your heart rhythm, if not stop it altogether.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by Beserker
I just read this:

The BBC reported in Oct 2006 on a 'mobile' sonic device which is being used in Grimsby, Hull and Lancashire and is designed to deter troublesome teenagers from lingering around shops in target areas. The device works by emitting an ultra-high frequency blast (around 19-20 kHz) that teenagers or people under approximately 20 are susceptible to and find uncomfortable. Age-related hearing loss apparently prevents the ultra-high pitch sound from causing a nuisance to those in their late twenties and above, though this is wholly dependent on a young person's exposure to high sound pressure levels.

Urgh people used to play that on their phone speakers in the middle of lessons. All the kids would be like "STFU allready" and the teachers couldn't hear a thing.
Quote by Rabidguitarist
Because the government would look like dicks if they suddenly started legalising substances when they've spent millions of pounds on lying to us about them.

Little do they know, they already look like dicks.
Quote by MightyAl
It's be difficult. Would be easier underwater, i think.

If you have access to that much water you might aswell just drown the person and save on equipment costs.
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Quote by Beserker
I just read this:

Those are so annoying. I can't wait until i'm old enough to walk into a supermarket without hearing them
Quote by the bartender
^ this man knows his stuff.
Quote by Beserker
I just read this:

These things are ****in ridiculous, i live in lancashire and there is a house right next to college (basically in the college area) and they've decided to get one of these even though they've never been annoyed by the students. You can't be outside around the area of the house for too long its so irritating, it goes on and off so you dont get used to it too :/
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Playing Soulja Boy for 24 hours non stop can kill someone. The kid next door died that way.
Do humans have a static resonance frequency? because you can do it to static things but people would be difficult. I say its possible in a theory kinda way but if we have the means to actually do it now?
COLOURS
What's your fav colour? (Color if you don't use the U)
Scienctifically yes

A sound wave is a pressure wave in air - a big enough sound wave could create enough air pressure to crush the person to death and the trough of the wave would be an almost vacuum which could asphyxiate them
Quote by SteveHouse
I'm pretty sure that a loud enough bass kick can mess with your heart rhythm, if not stop it altogether.

thats happened to me several times.

especially when I'm at a metal concert and everyone stops but the bassist.

Bass solos can be deadly.
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Kensai

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SteveHouse

Nah it just feels like your heart beating, so if it isn't in time with your heart it would feel/sound like you had an irregular heartbeat. It could only stop your heart from shock, which is pretty unlikely unless you were really old or something and it happened completely unexpectedly...
yeap, it can literally blow your mind up... well you just start bleeding and your brain evetually collapses

i did an essay about it last year

***I believe you underestimate my sneakyness***

Very sneaky, indeed...

(BAH)
Quote by faultyy
If you have access to that much water you might aswell just drown the person and save on equipment costs.

What if they're a fish-man?
Quote by MightyAl
What if they're a fish-man?

then I think you have more problems to worry about that that.

but if he is a fish man just take him out of the water and let him suffocate to death.
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Kensai

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
then I think you have more problems to worry about that that.

but if he is a fish man just take him out of the water and let him suffocate to death.

Hmm. Let's go to plan B.
Quote by basilbrush
Waves are energy, similar to gamma radiation. I guess that if the amplitude is big enough, you could kill someone.
Nah.

stratkat
Might be hugely pedantic but decibel isn't quite a measurement of something. It has to be a decibel of something.. you can have decibel audio which is what you're talking about. Basically you use decibels when you are measuring something against a reference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel

In terms of audio decibels are measured with reference to the threshold of perception of the average human.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

Quote by parigod
Probably, but if it's like most fucked up things in science, there's no way we could produce a sound that loud.

Lemmy would like to have a word with you.
The concussion from an explosion is a sound wave. That concussion is used to kill. So yes.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Rupert1616
"A powerful ultrasound beam which can liquefy living tissue."

brings a whole new meaning to CRUSHING OVERDRIVE!
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote by noob888
I love you for that thread...

Quote by MightyAl
I am now mentally scarred by the image of Peter Crouch getting penalised.
Yeah I'm pretty sure its possible. I can actually remember my physics teacher saying something about it way back in grade 11.
MATTERHORN
Quote by ryand111
brings a whole new meaning to CRUSHING OVERDRIVE!

Zakk Wylde is gonna be jealous
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Kensai

Quote by Jackal58
Why do people always look for new ways to kill each other?
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by Jackal58
The concussion from an explosion is a sound wave. That concussion is used to kill. So yes.

I can't believe it took someone that long to bring current weapons into the equation.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by rabidguitarist
Why do people always look for new ways to kill each other?

So their corner of humanity can live longer, or some such hypocrisy

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by Lemoninfluence
I can't believe it took someone that long to bring current weapons into the equation.

Raisin an issue is always a good thing.
Page 1 of 2