hey

as an early christmas present i got a schecter damien 6 (no floyd). i love it a lot but now as i'm looking on musicians friend i'm starting to think i should maybe return it for a hellraiser. i was just wondering if theres a huge difference and what you guys think.
Hellraiser is a lot better guitar. I'd spring for that if you can.
Ibanez S7320
Peavey 5150 + Mesa 2x12 Rectifier
It was a Christmas present, dude. What the hell's the mater with you?

OK, on a helpful note: I believe all the entire Hellraiser line is equipped with active EMG pickups. Unless you're running through a naturally hi-gain, all-tube amp, you're going to get the full potential of them, much less a really decent sound for that matter. Even the Damien's passive EMGs leave quite a bit to be desired, but they'll work better with a solid state/small tube amp as opposed to the actives.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']It was a Christmas present, dude. What the hell's the mater with you?

OK, on a helpful note: I believe all the entire Hellraiser line is equipped with active EMG pickups. Unless you're running through a naturally hi-gain, all-tube amp, you're going to get the full potential of them, much less a really decent sound for that matter. Even the Damien's passive EMGs leave quite a bit to be desired, but they'll work better with a solid state/small tube amp as opposed to the actives.
lol i know it was a christmas present but i mean i was allowed to pick anyone that was udner like 600$ so i wanna take advantage. and every hellraiser has active pickups? i saw that on musiciansfriend but i didnt know every hellraiser did.
Quote by ilovemylife
lol i know it was a christmas present but i mean i was allowed to pick anyone that was udner like 600$ so i wanna take advantage. and every hellraiser has active pickups? i saw that on musiciansfriend but i didnt know every hellraiser did.

They all do. What amp do you have?
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']They all do. What amp do you have?
ibanez mimx, it blows. i have the metal master heavy metal distortion pedal though which makes it sound tight.
Quote by ilovemylife
ibanez mimx, it blows. i have the metal master heavy metal distortion pedal though which makes it sound tight.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the MIMX is a modeling amp, correct?

Then don't bother with any active EMG-equipped guitars. EMGs sound bad enough through a solid state, but a modeling amp only heightens the severity of it. And with a digital distortion stompbox to go with it, it'll sound heinous. That's just my take. If you have to exchange, try to find something with a decent set of Seymour Duncans or such. They respond really well.

EDIT: just saw your post about the Blackjack. As far as Schecter goes, that's the best I can recommend.
Last edited by [VictorinoX] at Dec 7, 2009,
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Correct me if I'm wrong, but the MIMX is a modeling amp, correct?

Then don't bother with any active EMG-equipped guitars. EMGs sound bad enough through a solid state, but a modeling amp only heightens the severity of it. And with a digital distortion stompbox to go with it, it'll sound heinous. That's just my take. If you have to exchange, try to find something with a decent set of Seymour Duncans or such. They respond really well.
haha alright you know your stuff. i can play guitar, but i know nothing about pickups and tone and stuff. do any schecters have seymour duncans?
nevermind the blackjack has seymour duncans. i think i'm gonna go with that.

and another question; do you think it's reliable to order stuff off musicians friend? i bought my schecter at guitar center but they literally have nothing which one of the reasons i settled for this guitar.
Last edited by ilovemylife at Dec 7, 2009,
Quote by ilovemylife
haha alright you know your stuff. i can play guitar, but i know nothing about pickups and tone and stuff. do any schecters have seymour duncans?

I edited my post above after you posted about the Blackjack. I assume you're referring to the Blackjack C-1 fixed bridge model. That guitar has the Seymour Duncan JB/'59 combo. JB in the bridge, '59 in the neck. While my tastes are more for a Jazz p'up in the neck (psychedelic/acid rock, indie), the JB/'59 is the staple combination for rock, hard-rock, and a lot of metal. You can't do better than that.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']I edited my post above after you posted about the Blackjack. I assume you're referring to the Blackjack C-1 fixed bridge model. That guitar has the Seymour Duncan JB/'59 combo. JB in the bridge, '59 in the neck. While my tastes are more for a Jazz p'up in the neck (psychedelic/acid rock, indie), the JB/'59 is the staple combination for rock, hard-rock, and a lot of metal. You can't do better than that.
yes sir i was referring to the C-1
the c-1 plus has duncan designed pic-ups with a coil-tap. tbh I find those weak and just . . hmm, I am not a fan
I hanv't played any of the following but . .
the c-1 classic comes with proper duncan pups (a JB SH-4 and a Jazz SH-2n)
the solo-6 classic has a custom custom/59' set up as does the tempest classic and the ultra classic and so does the v-1 classic :P
so any of the classic range
the c-1 blackjack atx has active duncan blackouts
and tbh, I tried one through a vox ad15xl, and tbh I got alot of killer tones from it, including nice cleans, yes ofc they would sound alot better through a better amp, but what guitar wouldnt?
Quote by Rapter-paul
the c-1 plus has duncan designed pic-ups with a coil-tap. tbh I find those weak and just . . hmm, I am not a fan
I hanv't played any of the following but . .
the c-1 classic comes with proper duncan pups (a JB SH-4 and a Jazz SH-2n)
the solo-6 classic has a custom custom/59' set up as does the tempest classic and the ultra classic and so does the v-1 classic :P
so any of the classic range
the c-1 blackjack atx has active duncan blackouts
and tbh, I tried one through a vox ad15xl, and tbh I got alot of killer tones from it, including nice cleans, yes ofc they would sound alot better through a better amp, but what guitar wouldnt?

He was referring simply to the Blackjack C-1, not the ATX model.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']As far as Schecter goes, ya can't beat it
ha yeah i think i'm gonna go with it. i like my damien but i just feel like there may be something better for the same price or a bit higher.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']He was referring simply to the Blackjack C-1, not the ATX model.

I know, I was simply commenting about the atx model
the blackjack is a good choice for a little more versatility, the hellraiser is kind of one dimensional with those active emg's, i have a C-1+ which i find to do the job just fine, but ive heard the classics and blackjacks are the next step up
Schecter C-1+, Fender American HSS Strat
Egnater Tourmaster 4212
Mesa Boogie Rect-o-verb Head, rectifier 4x12 cab

Quote by Johnnybyall
the blackjack is a good choice for a little more versatility, the hellraiser is kind of one dimensional with those active emg's, i have a C-1+ which i find to do the job just fine, but ive heard the classics and blackjacks are the next step up

Changing the pickups in the C1+ makes it sound ideal, of course thicker
strings as its a smaller scale the guitar use to cost 650 now it cost
400 minus tax, new pickups cost what 72-75 for passive duncans? roughly
150 together
Ibanez AEL10E BLK- W/ Graph Tech Nut, Saddle and Pins
Duncan Woody XL Pickup w/ stock fishman EQ

Schecter C1+ Darksunburst w/ SH-4 (N) & SH-6 (B) 24.75"
Gain boost Switch
11-14-21w-38w-49w-60w D'Addario strings
ENGL Fireball+Savage+Vader Cab
do you think this hellraiser is better than the damien 6?
it's a hundred dollars more, i don't want go through all the trouble of returning mine and ordering this one online if i won't notice a huge difference. and all of the blackjacks are pretty much out of my price range.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Hellraiser-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar?sku=520092
Last edited by ilovemylife at Dec 8, 2009,
Quote by xDarrellx87x
Changing the pickups in the C1+ makes it sound ideal, of course thicker
strings as its a smaller scale the guitar use to cost 650 now it cost
400 minus tax, new pickups cost what 72-75 for passive duncans? roughly
150 together

i wanted to avoid changing the pickups and just buy a guitar that has ones i would like. i'm not familiar with active pickups, i've always had passive, are they worth it? and is it a bitch to change the batteries in em?
The original hellraiser is an okay guitar! The one you showed however
appears to be a decent guitar. I have not played it though so I do
not know how well it resonates. It isn't terribly expensive
I prefer the push pull option on my C1+ which is essentially the
same wood quality for 399 which was 600 no that long ago
however its a 24.75" scale with designed pickups.

I'd get the Delux if you plan on getting a good tube amp or already have
a good tube amp

the fret design is pretty ugly to me

Gain boost Switch
Quote by xDarrellx87x
The original hellraiser is an okay guitar! The one you showed however
appears to be a decent guitar. I have not played it though so I do
not know how well it resonates. It isn't terribly expensive
I prefer the push pull option on my C1+ which is essentially the
same wood quality for 399 which was 600 no that long ago
however its a 24.75" scale with designed pickups.

I'd get the Delux if you plan on getting a good tube amp or already have
a good tube amp

the fret design is pretty ugly to me

my amp isn't a tube, i don't really see myself getting one on the near future either. and yeah those inlays are pretty ugly.
my daminen is fine, i put some seymour duncan pickups in it as i dont care muich for the emg's it came with HZ are not my sound, it love it, wouldnt trade for world, gettin a blackjack ATX V from my wife this year !! cant wait, i been meaning to get a v for some time now, even change the way i play sitting for it
~GEAR~
Dean Vendetta XM
Schecter Damien FR
SD 59/JB
Raven RG100H/RG412
Crate GT-15
Delta Lab Metal Distortion
Boss DS-1
Meastro Overdrive
DOD Tec8
EB STHB 10-52
Dava Picks
personally I love my Schecter C1+ which gives you three
color options to choose from and to me is best bang for your
buck esp with it on sale right now.

"MetalMan313" the blackjack ATX is ugly but sounds good
but so does my C1+

Gain boost Switch
Quote by xDarrellx87x
personally I love my Schecter C1+ which gives you three
color options to choose from and to me is best bang for your
buck esp with it on sale right now.

"MetalMan313" the blackjack ATX is ugly but sounds good
but so does my C1+

you have the classic? it says its been discontinued

Quote by MetalMan313
my daminen is fine, i put some seymour duncan pickups in it as i dont care muich for the emg's it came with HZ are not my sound, it love it, wouldnt trade for world, gettin a blackjack ATX V from my wife this year !! cant wait, i been meaning to get a v for some time now, even change the way i play sitting for it

do you have the damien 6? (i'm not even sure if there are any others lol)
and how much did it cost you to put duncans in it because i'm thinking of just doing that.

EDIT: is your wife hot
Quote by ilovemylife
you have the classic? it says its been discontinued

No, C1+

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Guitar-Research-C-1-Plus-Electric-Guitar-101162311-i1147935.gc

Duncans cost 72-75 each

400+145= fair price if you ask me

Gain boost Switch
Quote by ilovemylife
oh i didnt notice the plus sign at first haha
yeah i was looking at this one, i think i may just get it and put duncans on it, or just put duncans on my guitar now. grrr this is such a tough decision.

That it is but you get 3 nobs, tone, tone, push pull split coil option
looks cooler, smaller scale, Les paul type 3 way switch
Graph tech nut If I were to get a custom I'd make
it like this with better pickups

Gain boost Switch
Quote by xDarrellx87x
That it is but you get 3 nobs, tone, tone, push pull split coil option
looks cooler, smaller scale, Les paul type 3 way switch
Graph tech nut If I were to get a custom I'd make
it like this with better pickups

meh yeah, you convinced me that the C-1+ probably is better, but both the C-1 and damien are in the diamond series so i don't think it's worth returning mine and going through the trouble of getting a new one. and to be honest, i probably won't even notice the sound difference lol. i think i'm gonna put duncans on my damien, but i'll definitely keep researching it.
Quote by ilovemylife
meh yeah, you convinced me that the C-1+ probably is better, but both the C-1 and damien are in the diamond series so i don't think it's worth returning mine and going through the trouble of getting a new one. and to be honest, i probably won't even notice the sound difference lol. i think i'm gonna put duncans on my damien, but i'll definitely keep researching it.

the guitar is cheap right now to get in a few months to have another guitar
guitar center and the web has the 2007 version so thats why its so cheap
the newer one will cost around 599, only difference I notice is the
headstock says diamond series really small up top where the new one
says it in the middle of the headstock vertically

just keep your eye on it for a secondary guitar

Gain boost Switch