I recently bought a used Peavey 5150 II. I brought it home played it in my garage for about 30 minutes and it didn't have a problem. I put it in my room and now i get this rather large humming noise. The noise stops for a second when i tap on the head, but it always comes back. I turned my "resonance" and "presence" knobs to zero and it goes away for a while. I also tried putting the ground switch on "-" instead of 0, and the volume on the hum decreases a little but it's still there.
I've read that it could possibly that one of the screws that secures the preamp pc board to the chassis, but i dont know where those screws are.

Any help would be appreciated.
first thing I would try (especially since it worked fine in your garage)...would be to try a different outlet in your house. The outlet you're using could be the problem...in addition to other environmental things in the room (fluorescent lights, computer monitors, etc.), can all add noise. I would try this first before narrowing it down to being an amp problem.
^agreed
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60
Avatar cab with Man O War, Black Powder speakers
Schecter 20th Aniv. Stealth #07 out of 100
Now that you mention it, i noticed that my B-52 ST100 had a weird humming problem. I guess it doesnt help that i have a computer, a tv, and a external hardrive within 3 feet of my amp.

I put it in a different room and used a different wall outlet and now the major humming is gone. If i tap it a little it still barely hums for a few seconds. I dont know if thats a minor problem i might wanna look into.
Computer monitors, phones, lights, radios all affect your sound. My amp is very sensitive towards lights that you can turn the brightness down on.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!