can anyone explain what the difference is when it comes to rms and peak. i saw an amp that said it was about 40 watts rms and 100 watts peak. whats the difference between the two?
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
rms=root mean square

this is like the average. It's what you should expect to get.

peak=highest possible value

this is the highest possible value you will get but you will not get it for a long period of time

sound is like one of the waves you see on the flatline monitors, it goes up down and repeats
so in the example in my first post, 40 watts is the average while 100 is the highest it can go in the short term, correct? if thats the case, since i've been looking for a new amp, i'm told for band practising and gigging, 200-300 is usually the best way to go. is that regarding the rms or the peak?
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
RMS, Peak and Peak to Peak are all used to refer to an AC amplitude (Voltage), or Power value. AC voltage is unlike DC in that it flows in both directions. It oscillates in a sine wave pattern that is constantly changing with time.

As the previous poster said RMS is like an average voltage, and Peak is the top level. Peak to Peak is the difference between the topmost positive cycle, and bottom most negative cycle.

When it comes to audio concern yourself only with RMS as this is the true voltage/power value that you will receive from your piece of audio equipment.

The peak value can be found by dividing RMS by .707. Peak to Peak is 2 times the Peak, and RMS is Peak x .707.
200-300 watts is regarding RMS. Companies try to make you think you are getting more than you are paying for by using Peak or Peak to Peak values.

Essentially your first amp is only 40 watts
RMS is the only value you should use as by law in the USA,UK and most of the world this has to be measured in a standardised way. Peak power is a meaningless figure because the manufacturers can make up their own way of measuring it. Try this for a bit more information.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/making_it_loud.html

There are some great articles in Wikipedia on amplifier power but they are quite techie.
sorry about that, been on and off while doing other things, but thanks for your help guys. much appreciated. sorry i'm rather late in doing so too
Quote by Heilz

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
there seriously was a thread on this a week ago
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E