I have an Epiphone Les Paul and last year I replaced the pick ups with EMG 81/85. This took this guitar to a new level and i love the active pick ups. My question is this, are there other modifications I could make to get noticeable tone benefits for not too much money? I have heard replacing the nut and tuners helps. Is it worth the money or should I save for a better axe. What do you guys think?
Last edited by Wyldefan2532 at Dec 7, 2009,
Since you already invested alot in it, might as well go all the way..
My Gear:
Epiphone LP Black Beauty (2007)| Washburn WM24K (2008)| Ibanez Iceman IC300 (2003)| Ibanez GRX40 (2004) w Gold Lace Sensors| Roland Microcube| Marshall G10MK.II Amp| Zoom G2.1u| BOSS Metal Zone

Yes, I am a simple guy.
Nut, bridge and tuners will be way less expensive than a whole new guitar, but it depends if you only want to slightly modify your tone or go for a whole new sound. If you don't, just change the current guitar. It'll save you a noticeable number of whatever money you use.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Going by your profile, you're playing through a Marshall MG50. WHy you are using active pickups with that, I don't even know... it's not even remotely the right sort of amp to be used with active pickups. I... don't even know where to begin with that.

Anyway, as far as Epis go, there's no point changing the bridge or tuners because you can't improve them. This is the one thing Epiphones really excel at, their stock hardware is the best on the market: 18:1 Grovers (actual Grovers, not licensed copies like you get on LTD and Agile guitars) and LockTone bridges (better than Gibson use on LP Standards).

The nut can be worth changing but only if the existing one is really giving you trouble. If you don't notice anything wrong with it, no point in changing it. Putting in an aftermarket nut isn't going to magically make you play like a decades-experienced pro or give you your perfect tone, it's only worth doing if your current nut is really poorly cut and the strings are binding and going out of tune from it (which it doesn't sound like they are, otherwise you'd be in more of a hurry to fix that specifically).

Usually, the only things worth changing on an Epi are the electronics. But since you'll have already done that when you changed to active pickups, that's been and gone.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Yea other than pickups theres not much tone wise that can be done to a epi LP.

Your best place for tone improvement would be a better amp than any of the MG series.