I'm nearly done with a re-build project. I'm to the point of needing to buy pots. My guitar is an LP with humbuckers.

I know I need to get 500k pots, but whats the difference between A-type and B-type pots?? I heard somewhere that B-type pots are for tone control. Whats the difference between the two, or will any 500k pot work as both volume and tone??
'A' has a logarithmic taper. 'b' has a linear taper. linear taper is good for looking at an indicator knob and seeing right where the pot is. so if you want a third of the rotation of a linear pot, you know to set the index to 3. logarithmic taper pots are diseigned to sound more linear to the human ear. they are used when you want a smooth-sounding transition.


Audio taper pots sound more natural for volume controls because our ears perceive volume logarithimically. For tone pots, I don't really have a preference. I've used both.
Yeah what they said. But to make a tone pots its a vol pot and a little thing that you need to soder to it to make it a tone.
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
Wow, thanks for all the helpful tips guys! Real opinions are so much better than google searches
Last edited by posite63 at Dec 7, 2009,