Poll: How do you like covers?
Poll Options
View poll results: How do you like covers?
Same instrumental sound, same vocal sound
5 14%
Same instrumental sound, different vocal sound
7 19%
Different instrumental sound, same vocal sound
2 6%
Different instrumental sound, different vocal sound
22 61%
Voters: 36.
Alright so there are a lot of cover's, from live performances to youtube videos and even albums. Sometimes the vocalist tries to copy to original singers style, other times they make it their own. So the question for the pit is do you like when an artist makes a cover their own or tries to copy the song?
RAW POWER
Makes it their own.. duh. I want it to be recognisable though.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
If they cover it, I would like it to be a good cover, not a band's interpretation on another's song.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Quote by Venice King
Makes it their own.. duh. I want it to be recognisable though.

I agree. I like when a band puts their own spin on the song, but I still want to recognize it as the original song.

The key is to change enough that it sounds like your own, but not so much that it doesn't hold the appeal of the original.

Something like this:

Original
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AXNBR2smPY

Cover
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO7sTntruzg
Id prefer it if someone were to be creative and add their one spin to the track then cover it.

Not just play the same damn thing the same damn way..
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
It depends, really. Sometimes adding their own spin to the song completely ruins it. Sometimes the original goal is to just have good performance of a good song, rather than putting your own stamp on someone else's composition.
You have to make it your own, otherwise you're just going to look like a wannabe who can't write their own music.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
To be honest when I hear covers I want them to be totally different to the original. That's why I don't like it when metal bands cover other metal songs for example.
🙈 🙉 🙊
I would have to say it needs to be dependant on the song you're doing. Some songs just can't be changed that much, however if you're true to the original version of the song, make it your own and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
The poll is quite lacking IMO.

I like the vocals to be different, especially if the band covering is of a different genre.

I like the notes on the instruments to be pretty much the same, but I like it if they add something extra like a solo or breakdown/bridge. Just something to make it their own. Also changing the actual sound of the instruments effects wise to suit the genre is usually a must.

Something that didn't come up in the poll is the tempo, some bands might slow the song down to make it more moody, or speed the song up to make it more metal.

So basically change everything so it suits the covering band's style. I guess I voted for the wrong thing in the poll then.

Edit: It's good when a band doesn't just stick to the original arrangement, too.
Quote by naedauuf
I'm in need of a guy
Last edited by Demonology at Dec 7, 2009,
I prefer artists who make their own 'version' of a song.

IE

Original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNr3FO7bMKU

Cover: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtLiQ9YyZ34
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
I prefer duvets to covers.

Duvets or duets???
* If my punctuation seems off, it's because my shift button is broken *
Quote by kbabz22
Duvets or duets???

He meant Duvets.
A cover is what you put over a mattress. He was making a bed joke.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO