Well to start, my old guitar head died on me (transformer went ) so, I needed a new amp. A good friend of mine gave me this, uh, paging amp that he had. It's a solid state and 100 watts, and it's a beast, but it needs a pre-amp, since all it has is a volume, and an on/off switch.

I play punk/hardcore/thrash, and I want a high-gain 70's-80's-type tube-sounding distortion. IE: EVH, Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth, Pantera, stuff like that, and I'd also prefer if it had a decent clean channel as well.

I'm running an basswood Ibanez, with a Rockfield Fatass in the bridge (main pickup), through 4 Celestion 70-80's. I also recently acquired a birch-ply cab that I'm saving to put Eminence Swanp Thang's/Texas Heat's in.

As far as money goes, I would prefer something less than $500, maybe something a little more depending on what it does.

I was looking at the Mesa/Boogie Recto recording pre-amp, and it had interested me, but it's a tid bit expensive, so, if there's anything else available similar to that, give me a link? Thanks.
Quote by Steve46
thanks alot ice condition!! your the breast!

The best bosom in all of UG.
I'm not your guy for this but bump anyway.

So you want to buy a preamp and run it into a PA Speaker? I don't think that will sound real good, especially for the stuff you play. Don't know. What kind of speaker is it? Otherwise, a MFX pedal might work.
Look into the Marshall JMP-1 if you like the marshall 80s metal vibe, its cleans are also not that bad. If you want a bit more modern and aggresive sounding distortion look for the ENGL e530 preamp. It has fewer features but a meaner distortion, and the typical ENGL clean and crunch. Both can be found below 500
WTLTL 2011
For an amp head, I'm using a 100-watt paging amp, into my 4x12 cab, but I need a pre-amp for it, I'm not running it into a PA.

I'll look into those, and hopefully they aren't too expensive/unavailable . . .

If I can't use those, can you run a tube head (like a Blackheart or one of those Epi 5w valve amps) as a preamp as well? I have a processor to add more distortion to it, but I just want that tube sound . . .
Quote by Steve46

Quote by ice condition
For an amp head, I'm using a 100-watt paging amp, into my 4x12 cab, but I need a pre-amp for it, I'm not running it into a PA.

I'll look into those, and hopefully they aren't too expensive/unavailable . . .

If I can't use those, can you run a tube head (like a Blackheart or one of those Epi 5w valve amps) as a preamp as well? I have a processor to add more distortion to it, but I just want that tube sound . . .

You can, run a cable from the head's effects loop send into your 100 watter effects return
WTLTL 2011
The amp only has an input and an output . . would it work if I sent the effects loop out to the amp's in?

I also looked at the Marshall & Engl, if I go with either of those it'll probably be the Engl.
Quote by Steve46

Quote by ice condition
The amp only has an input and an output . . would it work if I sent the effects loop out to the amp's in?

I also looked at the Marshall & Engl, if I go with either of those it'll probably be the Engl.

Yes, that should work fine as long as the input is line-in.

I have the ENGL myself, couldn't be happier with the tones.
WTLTL 2011