Page 1 of 2
I don't need effects, don't need real high gain, don't need more than 1 channel. Is there anything like this out there? It doesn't HAVE to be that simple, but can be.
yeah man... a plexi.

there is also the Vintage Modern which is very simple. however if you like the idea of a plexi, but are scared off by the $4000 price tag, have a look at these guys.

http://metroamp.com/

i am quite interested in buying one of their plexi replica kits, and they're supposed to be the best in the business. you can buy the kit and build it yourself, or they'll put it together for you for an extra $400. beautiful hand wiring, and period correct components
Quote by axuality
I don't need effects, don't need real high gain, don't need more than 1 channel. Is there anything like this out there? It doesn't HAVE to be that simple, but can be.

Well it's gonna be hella loud if you crank a plexi to any point of break up.

What is your budget?
Last edited by gregs1020 at Dec 7, 2009,
^this

I assume your just wanting to play rock? take a look at a JCM800/JMP 2203/2204. Could call it the last evolution of the plexi? JMP went to a single transformer. Then the JCM800/JMP 2203/2204 went to a master volume. After that the started messing with gain structures that ultimately lead to the JCM900.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by forsaknazrael
Get an 18W clone.

There's plenty out there.

Doesn't sound like a Plexi. Sounds pretty horrible, IMO.

by "these guys' i meant the metro replicas.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You recommended a Vintage Modern as well, that's what I was responding to.

You had me worried for a second, I thought you were talking about the metros

But yeah, TS check out some clone companies. If you give us a budge and a distinct sound you're after, we can probably give you some good advise. Also, you can get a good deal on the clones if you can assemble them yourself, so let us know if you're handy with a soldering iron and electronics.
Fender '04 Strat
MiM Sunburst with Maple Neck

Ibanez TS-808
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall JTM60
Quote by forsaknazrael

A budget will definitely help. Otherwise, I'd recommend a Budda Superdrive at the top of the list for an 18W clone.

yea and if he comes up shy the funds for the budda, a studio 15 rec is at the tip of my tongue.
Check out the JCM-800 2203/2204. Single channel.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by forsaknazrael
Otherwise, I'd recommend a Budda Superdrive at the top of the list for an 18W clone.

this. Superdrives are the shizz
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
I'm probably gonna get flamed to hell for this but the Windsor Studio might fit the bill.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Get a clone from Ceriatone.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
the vintage modern isn't bad, you just have to know what your doing when your adjusting the tone, if you do it right it can sound great.

however for TS i would suggest one of those cone companies like everyone is suggesting
Quote by gatechballer
SoLgEr is the ****ing man!!!!!
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Get a clone from Ceriatone.

That should be their motto! It rhymes and everything!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
How much are you looking to spend? That is going to make a huge difference in what is available to you. The Marshall SLP and amps like it definitely aren't cheap. If you can handle the prices, then you have plenty to choose from. The best 100-watt non-master volume tube amp I've heard in a long time (other than Marshall's SLP) is the Blackstar Artisan 100. But you will definitely need a power attenuator, as that thing is so freakishly loud that driving the volume past "3" will bring the local police to your doorstep. It sounds astonishingly good, though. Of course, so does the SLP.
hey since we have an unlimited budget....

Brown note makes a great TMB lite kit.

A Fargen Mini Plex would be a great amp as well for this.
Quote by gregs1020
Well it's gonna be hella loud if you crank a plexi to any point of break up.

What is your budget?

Well, I do want master volume. (I know Plexi didn't have one)

Budget? I don't know yet. Not over $2000, but if I buy used, not over $1000.
Quote by axuality
Well, I do want master volume. (I know Plexi didn't have one)

Budget? I don't know yet. Not over $2000, but if I buy used, not over $1000.

A lot of people mod the plexis and put a master on the back panel.

Why is your budget half for used? That makes little sense. You get much better gear used if you keep the same budget.

Any of the amps listed can be had for under $2K in the US.

Do you gig? If so can you mic your amp?
Okay, let me elucidate. When I say Plexi, I just mean simple. But I do need a master volume. Secondly, and I'm sure I'm stupid for this, but while there are probably fantastic clones out there, my snobbery says it has to be Marshall. I have never owned a tube Marshall for more than a week, and I just have an itch to know that I have a Marshall.

If I buy new, I won't go over 2000. If I buy used, I won't go over $1000.

The JCM800 is sounding good from what you all say, but I'm having trouble finding a used one. Vintage Modern combo would be great I think, tho that's at the top of my budget. And a couple of you don't seem to like it.
Quote by gregs1020
A lot of people mod the plexis and put a master on the back panel.

Why is your budget half for used? That makes little sense. You get much better gear used if you keep the same budget.

Any of the amps listed can be had for under $2K in the US.

Do you gig? If so can you mic your amp?

I don't trust used electronics. I've gotten burned. I can mic it. I have an awful lot of stage equipment for just my one guitar. That's no problem. I just want tube Marshall tone for recording. Even a 1-12" combo would do if the amp section is right.
Quote by axuality
Okay, let me elucidate. When I say Plexi, I just mean simple. But I do need a master volume. Secondly, and I'm sure I'm stupid for this, but while there are probably fantastic clones out there, my snobbery says it has to be Marshall. I have never owned a tube Marshall for more than a week, and I just have an itch to know that I have a Marshall.

The JCM800 is sounding good from what you all say, but I'm having trouble finding a used one. Vintage Modern combo would be great I think, tho that's at the top of my budget. And a couple of you don't seem to like it.

i have the vintage modern stack, i think its a great amp, and i can get great hendrix type tones out of it, the cab even has the same speakers as his signature stack did. i think the reason most people here dont like it is because its hard at first to get dialed in, its not one of those amps you can walk up to turn on and just play, but if your willing to take the time to try and find a good tone you can get great ones.

i think thats why most people dont like it, when they try it they dont take the time to "fiddle" with it till they get a sound they like.
Quote by gatechballer
I could be wrong on this but you have just as much of a chance in having a component fail on a $2,000 amp as you do a used $1,000 amp.

Amps made 15, 20, 25 years were made better than they are made today.

Also, I was reading something an another forum recently where someone commented that because of the new ROHS compliance requirements in European companies, like Marshall, are having to use solder with less silver or nickle which is essentially causing a lot of 'cold solder' joints. Not a good thing.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 8, 2009,
Quote by axuality

The new Marshalls are fine amplifiers and will serve you well. They didn't get to be the industry standard for forty years by falling down on the job. There is a reason a great many pros play them and won't play anything else. The old ones may have a certain "mojo" that is difficult, if not impossible to duplicate, but structurally they aren't any better than the new ones. No less an authority on the subject than Jim Marshall said so. About the only significant difference is the fact that the old ones came with original Mullard tubes, whereas today's Mullards are Mullards in name only. Still, I don't think that makes a major difference.

The JCM800 amps are very much sought after, which is why you are having trouble finding a used one. Unless it is thoroughly thrashed, a used JCM800 will be snapped up quickly.

Try a bunch of different models and see which one you like the best. Tone is a completely subjective thing. What sounds good to you is what is important. Also remember that the cabinet you run it through is going to play a critical role in shaping your sound.

Good luck with your search.
Quote by mcrfobtai
As always, you can check out Ceriatone for a really cheap, but good, 18w clone

+1

Or possibly the 2061x if you like straight-up rawk, though to me it lacks the 'magic' the 18 watters have.
The vintage modern combos and jcm2000 combos (dsl or tsl) are all under $2k US new. PM me if you want one, they are all on closeout.

The dsl is "simple-er".

TS - check you messages on your profile...
Quote by FatalGear41
The new Marshalls are fine amplifiers and will serve you well. They didn't get to be the industry standard for forty years by falling down on the job. The old ones may have a certain "mojo" that is difficult, if not impossible to duplicate, but structurally they aren't any better than the new ones.
Bullshit. Try telling that the the countless numbers of people who've had to repair or send back their amps thanks to the cheap shitty transformers they use.

And you sure as hell didn't get PCB-mounted tube sockets on a vintage Plexi (or a PCB for that matter!).

Quote by FatalGear41
There is a reason a great many pros play them and won't play anything else.
Yeah. It's called an endorsement deal.

Just for example, Slash only uses his (highly visible) Vintage Moderns for the odd bit of cleaner work - he has a sig Jubilee sitting in the background providing most of the tone.
Quote by kyle62
Bullshit. Try telling that the the countless numbers of people who've had to repair or send back their amps thanks to the cheap shitty transformers they use.

And you sure as hell didn't get PCB-mounted tube sockets on a vintage Plexi (or a PCB for that matter!).

Just for example, Slash only uses his (highly visible) Vintage Moderns for the odd bit of cleaner work - he has a sig Jubilee sitting in the background providing most of the tone.

unless you heard that from him you cant say its true. maybe they are paying him yes, but also look at the fact that they no longer make his sig jubilee so he might have had to start looking elsewhere in models for a tone he liked, and idk if you listened to libertad, the most recent velvet revolver album, but his tone and the whole musical style of his is different on that album then any of his other work to date so he could have also bought it for the reason THAT HE ACTUALLY LIKED IT
Quote by gatechballer
Quote by kyle62

The old 100-watt Marshalls had transformers made by Dagnall UK. The new 100-watt Marshalls (and now the 50-watt Marshalls, too) have transformers made by (gasp!) Dagnall UK.

Plenty of amps use PCB boards without problems. The design works just fine.

And as for endorsement deals, you had ought to know that Marshall doesn't do them. Not now; not then, and probably not ever (at least not as long as Jim Marshall has any say in the matter). The best an artist can get from Marshall is the opportunity to purchase their gear at wholesale prices plus England's Value Added Tax. No one gets free gear from Marshall. Not Hendrix, Not Page, and not Slash.

By the way, Slash's Silver Jubilee was made between 1987-1989 (long after they had adopted things like PCB boards), so it hardly qualifies as a classic old model.
if your wanting a Marshall for recording and simplicity is what you want, why not get the Class 5 or the Haze 15?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by FatalGear41
The old 100-watt Marshalls had transformers made by Dagnall UK. The new 100-watt Marshalls (and now the 50-watt Marshalls, too) have transformers made by (gasp!) Dagnall UK.

Plenty of amps use PCB boards without problems. The design works just fine.

And as for endorsement deals, you had ought to know that Marshall doesn't do them. Not now; not then, and probably not ever (at least not as long as Jim Marshall has any say in the matter). The best an artist can get from Marshall is the opportunity to purchase their gear at wholesale prices plus England's Value Added Tax. No one gets free gear from Marshall. Not Hendrix, Not Page, and not Slash.

By the way, Slash's Silver Jubilee was made between 1987-1989 (long after they had adopted things like PCB boards), so it hardly qualifies as a classic old model.

thats true, i cant believe i forgot about that. that pretty much just makes everyones endorsement deal talk bullshit (which it was to begin with anyway)
Quote by gatechballer
Quote by FatalGear41
I don't disagree that new Marshalls are just fine, but there have been numerous OT issues with a lot of Marshall's reissue amps
Quote by axuality
Okay, let me elucidate. When I say Plexi, I just mean simple. But I do need a master volume. Secondly, and I'm sure I'm stupid for this, but while there are probably fantastic clones out there, my snobbery says it has to be Marshall. I have never owned a tube Marshall for more than a week, and I just have an itch to know that I have a Marshall..

+1
Quote by axuality

Get a clone, and then buy a Marshall logo off of eBay. You'll get in most cases with your budget, Marshall like tone or better, and then you could just say it's a Marshall. WIN/WIN for you. I quickly got over the "OMG I HAVE A MARSHALL" after mine was given to me, and now I want the actual Marshall tone. The name on the amp means nothing. And if the name is really that big of a deal, you can just stick on a logo like I suggested.
Fender '04 Strat
MiM Sunburst with Maple Neck

Ibanez TS-808
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall JTM60
Page 1 of 2