So, this is kinda stupid to ask but, is there anything that motivated you guys to actually do your scales regularly? maybe like making a mini song just for doing them or something, cause i do my scales but i dont really do them that often, and other than knowing it will make me a good guitarist, i just dont feel like it!! Any suggestions would be great.
Quote by krisis99
So, this is kinda stupid to ask but, is there anything that motivated you guys to actually do your scales regularly? maybe like making a mini song just for doing them or something, cause i do my scales but i dont really do them that often, and other than knowing it will make me a good guitarist, i just dont feel like it!! Any suggestions would be great.

Play your scales against a backing track? This give musical context to the notes themselves and makes them come alive.

The other comment Id suggest is this, take inventory of what you want to do and what makes you happy. Maybe you prefer rhythm instead, and thats okay - not everyone wants to or has to do leads.

How do scales measure up against your ultimate goals, and do they have a part in it?

Look at scales as a tool, use as much or as little of the tool as you wish to accomplish whatever that goal is.
My love of music motivated me to learn theory. I don't really know how I can help you when you aren't motivated.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Quote by Sean0913
Play your scales against a backing track? This give musical context to the notes themselves and makes them come alive.

Like he said, if practicing your scales is something you want to do, then i'd try playing along with some backing tracks.
Check out ...
http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/bts/Jamtracks.htm
for a decent selection of generic backing tracks. Most of them even tell you what key it's in. That might give you some motivation if you can find a good one that makes you want to play along with.
My uncle (who is a professional guitarist) was teaching me, and he told me that the reason Eddie Van Halen played so well was because he used scales.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
Quote by tenfold
Try to make a song where you move around the whole fretboard.

I learn my scales by making a chord progression that I KNOW I need to use that scale, and using it.

I also set myself certain pitches I need to use every 8 bars or so.
eg.
Bar1: Start on middle C, fret 3 on A string
Bar8: Hit G on fret 10 A string
Bar12: Hit High E on twelfth fret on E string
etc...

I find this forces my to figure out how to smoothly build up to the higher pitches.
I guess you could say "use an eight-note run" on some bar or whatever..