Well? It's not our first show, but it's our first PAID show. So we figured since we get 50% off the door, we may as well promote the shit out of it.

Note, i DID make this in about 30 minutes.. So it might not be awesome.

Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
it's not. i'm sorry
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
Well for us people who can't see well, it's hard to read
GO RAVENS!

Quote by Ssargentslayer
Waaaait....

Did you just say you can't rape?

2012 NFL Thread Mock Draft Champion
Constructive criticism?
Quote by Code-E

Quote by magnum1117

Quote by necrosis1193
most people dont spend alot of time looking at posters, so you're better off not making it difficult to read

you'd be better off making something more clear
If I didn't read the description, I wouldn't know what was going on.
The best gig posters I find have a picture, with easy to read writing for the information, and the headline band's logo.

Clarity is the key

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
A good flier should be bold and clear enough to read at least most of the information from it as you drive past the first phone pole it gets posted on, and the rest of the info before you pass the next one or two.

Imagine yourself trying to figure out who is playing where and when from that flyer as you drive past three of them on three consecutive phone poles at 60 km/hr.

How much of that did you get?

I got "Live Billie."

How likely do you think it is I'm going, even if I knew who Billie was?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
The look is okay, but it is hard to read. Good idea, next time just make it a little easier to read and it will be pretty sweet.
Thanks guys, i'll work out a couple of other ideas. Because i do get that it's a bit hard to read. Maybe i'll get a friend of mine who's good with a sharpie to design something.

But i do need to get it circulated soon. The gig is in a month, may as well get it promoted asap.
Quote by Code-E

Quote by magnum1117

Quote by necrosis1193
I don't think you really need to start promoting it until at least the week of the gig. Most people, I think, don't plan their nights out so far in advance. I know I don't. If someone sees a flyer and is excited about it, by the time the gig comes round in a month they might've forgotten or lost interest. Obviously it's usually a good idea in life to give lots of notice for things, but I think that this is an exception. I'd like to hear other people's opinions on this, as psychology isn't my forte. Just an opinion to consider.
My personal opinion is that flyers are only good for generating name recognition.

Think of this... if a band is unfamiliar to you.... when was the last time you saw a flyer along the lines of "The Gargoyles... LIVE at Club X" and thought to yourself, "Gee, I should really go to that?" Truth.... never. Why would you? You've never heard of them!

There is value in name recognition, sure, but you could put up a million flyers for your new, unknown band, and still not get hardly anyone out except for those that you personally invited.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I agree with what most everyone has said here. Make it a little clearer.
Also, having the exact address of the venue is always a good thing. And perhaps your band website/myspace page in smaller font underneath the bands name? May as well cross promote as much as possible.
Your design is a bit over-ambitious, in all honesty. Looks good, but just isn't much use for the intended purpose.

Quote by axemanchris
Think of this... if a band is unfamiliar to you.... when was the last time you saw a flyer along the lines of "The Gargoyles... LIVE at Club X" and thought to yourself, "Gee, I should really go to that?" Truth.... never. Why would you? You've never heard of them!

I agree with Chris completely on this one. We did a little experiment where I reworked our posters to pitch an event a little differently:

OLD:

NEW:

Which one tells you more about the band?

I added the logos to give people an idea what we sound like, and downplayed the actual band name in favour of a 'Classic Rock Show'. We figured if no-one knows your band that well anyway, sell yourself on your credentials rather than your name!
In other words, try and give potential viewers a hint to what kind of music you play, and maybe some good quotes if you've had any reviews.

Using this style of poster seemed to really improve attendance by people who'd never seen or heard of the band before. If you play covers, the band logos are an ideal way to draw in punters.

Incidentally, you'll notice also changed the design from colour to black and white. It meant we could get our print shop to print at twice the normal size, on really nice, expensive-looking card stock, for a few pence a poster!
It really is worth doing all your design in B&W, then spending a little more on the paper - it gives you much more professional looking results than colour (unless you're willing to spend a fortune on high quality printing).
Last edited by kyle62 at Dec 8, 2009,
50% off the door, thats pritty good, most of the venues I play at are 10 to 40 at most
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
This is a flier I made for one of our last shows. I was messin around in photoshop and thought it looked cool, but when it comes to visual representation of your band....it needs to be the best. I don't think it's SOLELY for name recognition. It definitely is a good thing to have your name all over the place BUT......say for instance you see flier A for a band and it looks cheap, half-assed and mediocre. Without any knowledge of their music, you are instinctively going to make a judgement call whether you think they are going to be good or not. Now say for instance you see a flier in your part of town, that's professional. Clean, easy to read, it has a professional picture of the band on there....They are going to look like they have their act together. The music has yet to actually be heard, but if you are walkin around town with nothing to do, you just might go see them and take a chance. I mean, their flier looks good, right? They look like they know what they are doing and have apparently invested time and effort to look professional.

Just because you think something about promoting and marketing doesn't actually work, doesn't mean it doesn't. If you can get the on-the-fencers by just your image, there's 3 or 4 more people who came to see you than who would have normally. All those commercials you see on tv all the time are garning familiarity and presenting their product. If they can't get you with one, they're going to try and get you with the other. Even though you might not know Product A from Product B, but you see Product A all over the place, which one are you going to choose???

But as far as fliers, keep things clear and readable. Make it attractive, interesting and professional (or indie/underground), whatever feel you want to go for. This one I have up may be a bit busy and slightly unreadable, but I was able to use each bands logos (with their approval of course) and include cover, time, location, age restrictions, and the other bands. I use this basic skeleton and I've found it works well.