Page 1 of 2
So who had the biggest influence on you in a core genre? For me I would have to say Andy Williams from ETID cool dude writes the most killer riffs. And Paul Waggoneer makes me want to quit guitar b/c he's so goddamn good. So share your influences.

Just to throw this in while talking influences my dad plays drums so I played drums from a young age then when I was 9 close to 10 I my cousin showed me some Metallica and I thought James Hetfield was the most badass person alive so I started playing guitar.
AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherfucker in the room, accept no substitutes.

Quote by RU Experienced?
It's comical because you are clearly an average to below-average bear.
Last edited by NY_FootBall49 at Dec 7, 2009,
matt fox from shai hulud
and pat flynn
"If the good die young, we'll fucking live forever"

Quote by zezimathehero
Genital Warts > What Separates Me From You

Quote by zezimathehero
Genital warts, what separates me from you
Paul Waggoner definitely. I know the guy in real life through some mutual friends (we are from the same town), and I remember seeing him in some local shows before his rise to fame, and even then he was amazing.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Paul Waggoner. Dustie Waring. Tommy Rogers.

...Yeah.

EDIT:^Hey dude, I know a few people who go to UNC. I'm at NC State, myself.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
I have a mancrush on Kurt Ballou.
Quote by seeneyj
I thought the whole idea of post-hardcore was to mix techno and hardcore.....
Luke's and Tim's guitar work pretty much motivated me to progress as a guitarist. I think it was maybe a few years ago when I was still lurking Spoon mentioned pth putting up sequoia throne and I was just blown away. I had never heard something so technical yet catchy. They lead me to btbam too, which is just a whole other story.

So basically, thanks to spoon, I'm now somewhat proficient at guitar
Quote by JxD
Ian Mackeye is the most influential person in the "core" genre. **** any other answer.

This

or the movie Repo Man, that shit was pretty HxC
I'm an asshole.
Quote by JxD
Ian Mackeye is the most influential person in the "core" genre. **** any other answer.

It's hard to argue with that...

I'm still going to say that Kurt Ballou makes me want to make more complex songs.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Normally I would agree with Ian Mackaye.

But I think for me it's John Joseph of Cro-Mag fame, I knew he was an interesting guy, but about a month back I ran into him at a diner around here and he invited me and some friends to sit and chat.

Dude has the best outlook on everything in life, from diet, to positivity to just living a fulfilling life. He's almost 50 (47 to be exact) and not only is he still playing with the Cro-Mags on and off, he also has Bloodclot, runs marathons, and is in the process of writing books.

He has also put his feud with Harley behind him, but I don't really want to post about it on the internet.

Not doing this to namedrop, just saying.
Bill Steer.

but this is me exploiting the fact that it says 'in a core genre". Doubt this thread was made with grindcore in mind
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
kurt has to be one of my biggest influences guitar wise, as cliche as it seems. also bands like on the might of princes and lots of screamo artists like majority rule and pg.99's guitar players are very influential.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Luke Hoskin. I listen to a ton of core music, including BTBAM and THA, which do motivate me, but Luke Hoskin has been the single most direct influence.
definitely JB Brubaker from August Burns Red. Then Timmy McTague and James Smith from UnderOath. But JB is definitely my biggest.
Jona Akerfeldsen, IKTPQ's old lead guitarist/ clean vocalist, hes seriously my idol
love is love // return to dust
Crime in Stereo and the Carrier in terms of molding hardcore guitar riffs. The way they use melody is just too awesome.
Quote by TheClincher
I give you the lolslope
---
--------
--------------
---------------------

Quote by Trowzaa

I love you.

I understand that this is a musician's message board and stuff, but I'm really surprised at how many people are simply mentioning bands who's music they enjoy rather than a band they've learned something from in terms of views or life choices.
Guitar: Thomas Erak, Kurt Ballou, Alex Pareja
Drums: Jon Karel. Not that I'm a drummer, but this man alone makes me want to take up drumming full time.
Vocals: Greg Puciato, Mookie Singerman
Lyrics: Jesse Korman/Justin Pedrick

General outlook on music: The Fall of Troy, The Number 12 Looks Like You, Genghis Tron, Converge
MATTERHORN
Quote by Magero
I'll kill you.

Go for it, he's a talented guitarist and his vox are heavenly.
Quote by ImSteve
I understand that this is a musician's message board and stuff, but I'm really surprised at how many people are simply mentioning bands who's music they enjoy rather than a band they've learned something from in terms of views or life choices.

isnt being able to learn something from a band in terms of views, etc. something that molds one to favour a band and have a preference towards that band?
Quote by MustangMan311
Just by chance, did you see them at the Brewery this summer with Dillinger?

No! I wanted to go so bad but I wasn't able to get a ride :|

Its looking like I won't get the chance to see them live ever now.
The B-52 Bombers Group!
Own a B-52 amp? Join the club!

Quote by nashawa
He may be a troll, but he's an incredibly successful troll. So kudos on that.
Last edited by The Charm at Dec 14, 2009,
Quote by tancanada
Jona Akerfeldsen, IKTPQ's old lead guitarist/ clean vocalist, hes seriously my idol

Err, isn't his name Weinhofen?
Quote by ImSteve

I don't really see how you're in any position to measure the impact any given band has had on the lives of the people who have posted in this thread.
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Several people actually.

Jake Bannon (Vocals, Converge)
Jeff Moirera (Vocals, Poison The Well)
Keith Buckley (Vocals, ETID)
Matt Fox (Guitars, Shai Hulud)
Ben Weinman (Guitars, Dillinger Escape Plan)
Ken Susi (Guitars, Unearth) Guys the man.
Ben Koller (Drums, Converge)
Quote by handbanana
R.I.P. Shaun Hand from Metal Sucks. He leaked this album and now Jake Bannon is going to crush his skull
Quote by boffen
Err, isn't his name Weinhofen?

Oh yeah
Akerfeldson or whatever I said is a hockey player I believe
Quote by tancanada
Oh yeah

or the dude from opeth
Quote by tancanada
Oh yeah

You seriously don't now your idols name? Nice!!!!
AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherfucker in the room, accept no substitutes.

Quote by RU Experienced?
It's comical because you are clearly an average to below-average bear.
Quote by Okeefe Is Legit
He's too tr00 to the music to care who makes it.

No, I just got confused
Quote by tancanada
Oh yeah

So he's your idol and you got him confused with a hockey player........?
That question was definitely important enough to bump this thread.
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Page 1 of 2