Hey everyone, I've got a lovely bass as of this past spring, and I've been gigging with a 15 watt practice amp. not working out, if you didn't figure it out. for christmas I'm going to buy a new amp, and I had a few choices in mind, and I just wanna see what everyone thinks, I'm also trying to keep my purchase at around $600 USD because I'm low on money and I'm primarily a guitar player so I don't want to waste all of my money on bass gear.

I'm sure that 200 watts will be quite enough to gig with, so my thoughts were:

SWR WorkingPro 12
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/SWR-WorkingPro-12-200-Watt-1x12-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=481993

Acoustic B200 1x15
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B200-200W-1x15-w-Tweeter-Bass-Combo?sku=482902

Gallien-Krueger MB115 Ultralight
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/GallienKrueger-MB115-1x15-200W-Ultralight-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=581052

Ampeg 583101Micro-VR Mini Stack
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ampeg-583101MicroVR-Bass-Amp-Head-and-SVT210AV-Bass-Speaker-Cabinet-Stack?sku=583101

They're all 200 watts, I just want to get a few opinions. I've played out of the SWR WorkingMans series which I really loved the sound of. I play everything, I'm in a rock group, a folksy/country group, a funk/fusion group(which I try to get Jaco's sound for) and believe it or not a techno group. I'm very fond of all sorts of players, specifically, Jaco Pastorius, Flea, Bootsy Collins, Marcus Miller, John Paul Jones, Les Claypool, Chris Wood, Ron Carter, John Entwistle, Geddy Lee etc etc etc.

let me know everyone, thanks so much.
Ventura Howard Roberts
Epiphone Wildkat
G&L Blondie
Martin 000M

Schecter Stiletto Studio-4

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112

BOSS BD-2
BOSS TU-2
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
Boss DD7
EHX Small Clone
Digitech Hardwire SC-2
MXR 76 DynaComp
also, I'm not really able to fit something extremely large in a car, seeing as the space in my car is very limited, so the head and cab thing isn't really too much of an option.
Ventura Howard Roberts
Epiphone Wildkat
G&L Blondie
Martin 000M

BOSS BD-2
BOSS TU-2
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
Boss DD7
EHX Small Clone
Digitech Hardwire SC-2
MXR 76 DynaComp
if you have done something with a 15 watt, you dont need to jump up to 200. a fender rumble 100 watt will be fine and more easy to transport for you
The 15 watt had a microphone on it at every show I've played, and the microphone has been way loud, and playing with a loud drummer, and a guitarist who plays a 40 watt tube amp, and another who plays a 200 watt solid state with a lot of distortion, I think the least I need would be 200 to be heard. Our sound engineer who was in the crowd said I could have walked off stage and the sound would have been the same.
Ventura Howard Roberts
Epiphone Wildkat
G&L Blondie
Martin 000M

BOSS BD-2
BOSS TU-2
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
Boss DD7
EHX Small Clone
Digitech Hardwire SC-2
MXR 76 DynaComp
Last edited by pedrothelion123 at Dec 7, 2009,
If you loved the sound of the SWR, get it. It's a great amp, and most importantly, you like it which counts for more than any opinion someone else can give you.
Fender 5 String Jazz Bass
Fender Precision Bass
Peavey TNT 115
EHX Bass Big Muff Pi
Daneletro Cool Cat OD V2 (excellent pedal)
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom Semi-Hollow
Peavey Classic 30
Vox V845 Classic Wah Pedal
Quote by pedrothelion123
also, I'm not really able to fit something extremely large in a car, seeing as the space in my car is very limited, so the head and cab thing isn't really too much of an option.

What kind of car do you have? i can get a head and cab in my Geo Prizm's trunk. even with a subwoofer in.
I drive a Mini Cooper, and with my bass, pedalboard, guitars, and a guitar amp it's tough on space. I double as a bassist/guitarist because I play 2 different groups in the same night when I play shows.
Ventura Howard Roberts
Epiphone Wildkat
G&L Blondie
Martin 000M

BOSS BD-2
BOSS TU-2
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
Boss DD7
EHX Small Clone
Digitech Hardwire SC-2