agreed,
im getting pretty sick of all the perma-noobs giving out shit advice around here
Im getting sick of having to go in and try and correct something that someone said...I almost just don't want to do it anymore.....

Should we do a list of people to listen to?
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Yeah, I feel like one of those lists will at least give a starting point for who gives good advice. There could even be a list of credentials after each person's name, that way you can get a better understanding of where their advice is coming from.

For instance: I've taken college courses in audio production, and I work with Pro Tools and Ableton for electronic music with a LOT of midi stuff, and I produce demos of rock bands. That way people will know that I'm gonna give good advice on midi work, and microphone placement, but not necessarily great advice on how to master your tracks or how to pick a good sound card for your PC (since I use a mac).

Stuff like that. Those were bad examples, and that was a really crappy overview of my experience, but you get the idea. I don't even know if I'd be on the list!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Last edited by Sid McCall at Dec 7, 2009,
yes, please make a list. I lurk here a lot and notice some not so good information being passed along, and people ignore the stickies with the good info in it
You dont need a list....... you should put together a solid, well thought out group of super threads, linked in a sticky. All that list did down south did is create an atmosphere of young kids regurgitating info they read, with no real practical experience, in part to gain favor and be part of a club. If you're not resourceful and you take the word of a dumbass then its natural selection, you deserve to have shit recordings, they can crawl back after and start over. Quality of your posts and recordings speak for themselves......
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Quote by occub
Quality of your posts and recordings speak for themselves......

Yup.......good point.
Just another way to say "hey look at me, I'm on a list." I say you learn just as much for making mistakes as doing what right. And what works for one person, will not for the next. Experience is learned in more than one way. Let people be the judge.
Quote by nynejoe
Just another way to say "hey look at me, I'm on a list." I say you learn just as much for making mistakes as doing what right. And what works for one person, will not for the next. Experience is learned in more than one way. Let people be the judge.

Except sometimes mistakes cost hundreds of dollars
Thats exactly why everyone should say their opinion. What one person can be right about, can be wrong about someting else. idiosyncrasies.

edit: and not just say their wrong. Lets all share. I don't understand how hard is that.
Last edited by nynejoe at Dec 8, 2009,
Quote by nynejoe
Thats exactly why everyone should say their opinion. What one person can be right about, can be wrong about someting else. idiosyncrasies.

edit: and not just say their wrong. Lets all share. I don't understand how hard is that.

This guy +1

You guys here, that are trying to have your little club of friends be the only ones giving advice is stupid. I know you all know you're stuff pretty well, so what gives?

*Live Audio Engineer - Disney World, Fl (2006-2008)
*Audio Post Production Asst. Engineer - Currently at a NYC Studio
*Certified Pro Tools 300 Expert

Listed that there so you guys can know that I am serious and this is my life.

Though after a thread I was giving advice in was entered with someone calling me out on giving bad advice, it blew my mind. Really?

I don't want to be apart of a forum, where there are people like this.
Last edited by Falcor Klaatu at Dec 8, 2009,
Quote by Falcor Klaatu

A lot of the time on here its hard to know where people are coming from though, there's a lot of bandwagoners as ryan says and its easy to walk into a topic and tread on someone who knows their shits toes because they've made a generalisation that can be misinterpreted easily.

The problem with this place is that theres so many idiots handing out advice no one can tell who's coming from where, so you can have debates over things and then find out that people actually agree with most of what you're saying just that their original message didn't communicate that.

I don't agree with a "people to trust list" because people can figure that out by themselves, I would suggest a "who is who" topic where people can introduce themselves and lay out who they are, what they do and people can draw opinion from that.

Also, I could swear I posted earlier in this topic and my post has disappeared. Hmm...
Quote by Falcor Klaatu
This guy +1

You guys here, that are trying to have your little club of friends be the only ones giving advice is stupid. I know you all know you're stuff pretty well, so what gives?

*Live Audio Engineer - Disney World, Fl (2006-2008)
*Audio Post Production Asst. Engineer - Currently at a NYC Studio
*Certified Pro Tools 300 Expert

Listed that there so you guys can know that I am serious and this is my life.

Though after a thread I was giving advice in was entered with someone calling me out on giving bad advice, it blew my mind. Really?

post mixes?
Heh, I think a list is a dumb idea personally. It slowly turns into a "List of elitist people who are better than you and everything they say is brilliant and should never be questioned despite it not making sense".

One thing I would like to see is less responses of "That sucks, don't use it" and more explanation on why its not good and maybe a suggestion for something instead (Yes, I'm looking at you Catharsis)
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Here's a thought. Instead of a list none of the newbies who actually need advice will ever find, why not put your credentials in your signature so people know after all your posts if they should trust you because it's your signature. List will prove useless. Use of a signature for credentials instead of a fashion statement will also boast some mild form of a maturity level. I know that seems hypocritical as I've got the same lame quotes as everyone else in my sig, but I have no real credentials. Just 9000+ hours on guitar centers' website, careful observation of several IS <amp, guitar, pr0n, whatever> NE GUD threads, and mild experience first hand with some guitars and amps. That's about it, so all I get are quotes. That guy up there went to college, put it in your sig so we know you're not bullshittin' without the use of a list nobody will ever see.

Edit: ALSO. If someone asks what they should get, that's an unprofessional opinion given out of free will and kindness. Should it be an inaccurate recommendation that they get and end up regretting, that's on their head. Just because someone over the internet says it's great doesn't mean you go out and buy it immediately.

Someone online told me the use of a feminine toy in a male orifice was also the greatest thing ever.

I didn't go try it.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Last edited by Ishiga at Dec 8, 2009,
Quote by lockwolf
Heh, I think a list is a dumb idea personally. It slowly turns into a "List of elitist people who are better than you and everything they say is brilliant and should never be questioned despite it not making sense".

That's exactly what happened last time. Also there's a list like that in GG&A that never really gets updated and no one pays attention to, so I doubt it would really help anything. The other big issue is that with a lot of what is talked about here, "bad advice" is extremely subjective.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by lockwolf

One thing I would like to see is less responses of "That sucks, don't use it" and more explanation on why its not good and maybe a suggestion for something instead (Yes, I'm looking at you Catharsis)

i've explained it millions of times sadly

i'd be less of a dick if people used the search function and maybe read a damn sticky
I think what he means..if you got time of day to be a "dick" in posts...you got time to be nice.

Whats the diff man? Lazy at being nice?
Hey everyone, I uploaded a snippet of a demo song I was the recording engineer for a few years ago. Its on my profile.

Its not my mixing! Even though its good, and its a VOX up mix, don't know why i don't have the final.

Not much of a great mixer anyway, but pretty damn good at recording.

I work in sound for TV & Radio.

Cant put anything commercial Ive worked on here, because, well its literally TV or radio commercials.

Going to try to get some other stuff dug up and post it.
Thanks.

Two U-87's were used as overheads, if anyone ever gets the chance to use those as overheads, do it! because its awesome, just be careful not to drop them.
Certified Digidesign Pro Tools Expert

Personal Gear-
Digi 003 Rack, Presonus Firepod
(2)SM57 (1)AKG 414 (1)AT 4040 (2)Shure SM81
PRS SE 24, Ibanez Acoustic.
Fender Super Champ
Kontakt, Battery, Guitar Rig, Pro Tools, Logic.
i've just stopped helping people. there's so much crap floating around here that i figure it's usually not worth my time to contribute. it's not like i'm getting anything out of it. which is actually kinda sad, seeing as if others follow my tact, we'll have a forum filled with advice being given from people who don't have much first-hand experience.

anyway if i give advice, anyone is free to take it or leave it.