Quote by hazmatac
if so, in what ways? Thank you.

Learning scales don't make you play better.

Better is a combination of a lot of things though, musical knowledge, technique and practice.

Having the knowledge of scales, can be seen like a tool, it does allow you to do certain things. But like building a house takes more than one tool, so does advancing on the guitar.
Yup - improv, writing, playing other peoples songs as you can kinda guess where they are going (even when you're brain can't your fingers often can), recognising chord progressions, writing chord progressions, deciding what position to play something in....and loads of other ways I'm too tired to think of right now.

Edit: He didn't say make you play better, he said help you play better, and yes learning scales has helped me play better
Last edited by zhilla at Dec 7, 2009,
Learning scales improved a certain area of my improvisation, but, as said, learning a few scales or patterns won't magically turn you into a better player, the only way to get better is to devote time, practice and effort into your playing.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Learning a bit of theory made me a better player, so practice, learn theory and just soar through the air no ones stopping yea.. But me, what you going to do?
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
I beat my wife

Beating yea bi
Quote by hazmatac
if so, in what ways? Thank you.

Yes it helps. In the same way that learning numbers allows you to perform math, or learning the alphabet allows you to put words together.

Scales are a fundamental component of music. It's common sense that having a grasp on such an essential, fundamental aspect of the thing you've chosen to pursue, will be beneficial.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Dec 7, 2009,
Quote by GuitarMunky
Yes it helps. In the same way that learning numbers allows you to perform math, or learning the alphabet allows you to put words together.

Scales are a fundamental component of music. It's common sense that having a grasp on such an essential, fundamental aspect of the thing you've chosen to pursue, will be beneficial.

^^^ Agreed, it allows you to express music statement in different ways.