Hey all, I'm looking to get a few effects just to complete my pedalboard. I currently only have a Boss BD-2 Blues Driver, Boss TU-2, a Crybaby, a Danelectro phaser and an array of other little danelectro effects I use only for practice when I don't want to haul my rig out of the studio. and here are the few I'm thinking of getting

Volume Pedal
Boss Fv-50H or the Ernie Ball Volume Pedal
(for swells and just quick adjustments)

Compressor
MXR M-102 Dynacomp or the Boss compression sustainer,
(just to get a little more sustain and clarity in my stuff)

Distortion(not overdrive)
ProCo Rat II(I'm very fond of John Scofield's distortion, hence my pick of this distortion.) I'm basically looking to be able to get all the crunch I need for anything up to Hendrix, which would require fuzz

Chorus
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus

Noise Reducer
Rocktron HUSH

Delay
MXR Carbon Copy
(not used a lot, because my personal favorite is the line 6 delay modeler, it's just a little too pricey for me, I'm looking to only spend about 150 in this area.)

and if you have any other recommendations for what I need to have a rather versatile set up. I'm primarily a bebop jazz guitarist, but I play lots of rock and blues on the side, with a deep admiration for Gilmour's sound.
Ventura Howard Roberts
Epiphone Wildkat
G&L Blondie
Martin 000M

Schecter Stiletto Studio-4

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112

BOSS BD-2
BOSS TU-2
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
Boss DD7
EHX Small Clone
Digitech Hardwire SC-2
MXR 76 DynaComp
I have an Ernie Ball Volume pedal and recommend it. Quite, rugged, no AC power needed of course.

I've owned both the DynaComp and the CS-3 and got rid of both. Not sure what to suggest.

I really want a ProCo Rat myself. Also look at a MI Audio Crunch Box, Jeckyll n Hyde, maybe a Russian Big Muff.

I think the CH-1 chorus should be fine but never owned one.

I hear a lot of good things about the Hush, but never owned one. I use a MXR Smartgate.

I have a Carbon Copy and love it. I suggest it or the EXH Memory man/boy stuff.

Just my .311 cents but it sounds like you have your house in order.
Thanks so much for your response, I've play vintage RATs before and they're excellent, I've not played a newer one, I was also thinking about a big muff in conjunction with the RAT and BD-2, the only thing is, I feel like it might just become a waste of room, is 2 distortions and a huge fuzzbox really necessary?
I've of course used the ernie ball volume pedal, but a professional bassist I'm affiliated with prefers the boss one,
I've heard better things about the DynaComp than i have the cs-3, I've just always been fond of boss pedals, so I figured I'd get some opinions on that
I just thought that the HUSH was the best choice after taking price along with reliability into account.

The carbon copy I wasn't sure about, I know that it was Cobain's delay, I just know a lot of the players that I play with all say great things about the Line 6 Delay Modeler. a fellow player also says great things abou the boss DD-3, so I could even consider that or the dd-7.
Ventura Howard Roberts
Epiphone Wildkat
G&L Blondie
Martin 000M

BOSS BD-2
BOSS TU-2
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
Boss DD7
EHX Small Clone
Digitech Hardwire SC-2
MXR 76 DynaComp
Volume Pedal
No Boss. I've heard the string inside the ernie balls breaks and is really hard to repair, so I went with the dunlop GCB80. I like pots, and its easy to mod. I've heard the morely one is good, but uses optics which I don't know anything about.

Compressor
I hate both. Just sold my CS-3 for a barber tone press. I would just bite the bullet and get something better. The CS-3 was ridiculously noisy and made my guitar sound like plastic. Good sustain though.

Distortion(not overdrive)
Actually never tried the RATs, but you seem to have a pretty good reason for going with this one. Try it out.

Chorus
If you only use subtle chorus, the old DOD's do a great job for pretty cheap.

Noise Reducer
Havnt heard great things about the hush. Boss NS-2, or a used ISP decimator (preferably)

Delay
AD9?
You might take a Look at the H.B.E. CPR compressor retro............I love Mine!!
Don't get the Carbon Copy unless you like extremely muddy repeats. For $150 (less used) you could get an Echo Park, which is basically a DL4 in a smaller, more confusing box without a looper. Also, if you wanted just an analog delay, you could get a Malekko 616, or a Memory Boy/Toy. Also, Small Clone instead of CH-1.
Quote by Rockford_rocks
HENDRIX WAS NOT MEANT TO GO WOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLY!

Last edited by boboguitar at Dec 7, 2009,
Thanks everyone for so many prompt responses and I'm thrilled to hear more

at this point I'm settled on the ProCo RAT II for a distortion, the Boss CH-1 for the chorus is fine, because it's used very lightly, I tried out a Hush today and I'm happy with that. I think for the delay I'm going with the Line 6 Echo Park(thank you boboguitar). for the volume pedal the ernie ball should be fine, seeing that I'm only using it so I don't have to run back to my amp in the middle of a set, and for mild swells.

the only thing I'm really stuck with now is the compressor, I'm leaning towards the DynaComp, but I'm curious to hear everyone's favorite compressor pedals.
Ventura Howard Roberts
Epiphone Wildkat
G&L Blondie
Martin 000M

BOSS BD-2
BOSS TU-2
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
Boss DD7
EHX Small Clone
Digitech Hardwire SC-2
MXR 76 DynaComp
id take the dynacomp over the CS-3 (actually, i did). however, if you are going for a more transparent compressor or something that isnt going to be that noticable, look somewhere else. ive heard nice things about the tone press and the keeley compressor. however you can pick up a dynacomp for a fraction of the price (i think mine was like $40 on ebay).
Quote by pedrothelion123

The carbon copy I wasn't sure about, I know that it was Cobain's delay, I just know a lot of the players that I play with all say great things about the Line 6 Delay Modeler. .

also - look into the malekko 616 delay instead of the carbon copy, and as someone said about the MI Audio Crunch Box for distortion. BOSS is good for the "digital" sounding chorus and if that is what you want then go for it. i'd take the MXR compressor over the BOSS and the HBE compressor over the MXR.
Compressor - Definately take a look at the Rothwell Love Squeeze, it is meant to be EXTREMELY good.

http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/love_squeeze.html
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by pedrothelion123
Chorus
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus

Dear lord, please don't.

A used Visual Sound H2O, MXR Chorus, EHX Small Clone would all be much better budget choruses. The Boss is, IMO, really bad by comparison.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Just throwing this out, MXR 10-Band EQ has a volume slider on it, plus you get the EQ pedal.
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
Quote by boboguitar
Don't get the Carbon Copy unless you like extremely muddy repeats. For $150 (less used) you could get an Echo Park, which is basically a DL4 in a smaller, more confusing box without a looper. Also, if you wanted just an analog delay, you could get a Malekko 616, or a Memory Boy/Toy. Also, Small Clone instead of CH-1.

That's only true on certain rigs. With a bright setup the repeats are very nice.

Anyway, I second the echo park. It's a great pedal.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Dear lord, please don't.

A used Visual Sound H2O, MXR Chorus, EHX Small Clone would all be much better budget choruses. The Boss is, IMO, really bad by comparison.

I went with a Small Clone for chorus and for my compressor I got the 76 reissue DynaComp, script logo, both are excellent, I'm just looking for a delay still.
Ventura Howard Roberts
Epiphone Wildkat
G&L Blondie
Martin 000M

BOSS BD-2
BOSS TU-2
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
Boss DD7
EHX Small Clone
Digitech Hardwire SC-2
MXR 76 DynaComp
Delay
MXR Carbon Copy
(not used a lot, because my personal favorite is the line 6 delay modeler, it's just a little too pricey for me, I'm looking to only spend about 150 in this area.)

Though you seem to already be swayed away from it anyways, the big reason I'd avoid the MXR is the lack of tap tempo. I can't imagine ever using a delay pedal without one (aside from my DD6 but I use it for the warp/self-oscilating feature.)

That said, I like the echo park but not having any stored pre-sets will really annoy you if you're interested in using more than one delay sound during sets/jams. If you really want the different settings I'd highly reccomend investing the extra cash into the DL4, especially because for another $30-40 you can use an expression pedal to double your pre-sets. Six unique delay settings and a built-in looper for under $300 is worth it, to me at least.

If not you can also check out the DD-7. While I haven't used it myself a good friend of mine does and I like they sounds he gets out of it, and being able to have a second tap-tempo switch (as opposed to the echo park's 2-stage switch or whatever it uses) is nice.
And maybe we can fly away from here, surf on the debris of a broken scene...