Like the title says, my left wrist is sore and hurts to play...not sharp pain, but sore and I can't play as fast as I could just this weekend.

Never had this happen before, but that's probably because I didn't used to practice for long stretches at a time...and was previously playing more blues type stuff...this weekend I practiced at least 10 hours, but probably more and it was protest the hero, human abstract type stuff.

Do you think it's just repetative strain injury and the longer sessions and different style of play are something I'll get used to? I really hope so because I'm bored and itching to play right now, but I can't ...hopefully I'll be able to tomorrow.
if you feel pain while playing guitar you are either:

1. new to guitar

or

2. not doing it right

if 1 then you will get the hang of it and the pain will go away, if 2 try and find out what the problem is
Take 1 day off. I get that sometimes if I play for like 6+ hours in a day, and one day off normally cures it.
My Gear:
Custom Fender 62' Reissue Strat
Carvin Custom Shop DC400T
Jackson SL3 Soloist
Fender Super-Sonic 112
Boss GT-10

Quote by XianXiuHong
000-000-000-000-000
PM------------------------

You can now play every Slayer song.
Long enough that it does hurt anymore, as long as it isnt a major pain you'll be fine.
if sore wrist persists see a doctor
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Ice it and rest for a day or so. Do not play though the pain!
In the Valley of Vung
How long have you ben playing, a year, less, more it could be just muscle growth
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
I've had this happen recently. But I'm sure it's because I spent 2 hours straight with a metronome for the first time.

A day off couldn't hurt. It might also help rekindle your motivation once you pick it up again. Just be sure it isn't poor technique that's causing your pain or you'll have bigger problems in the future.
Quote by Winman9999
How long have you ben playing, a year, less, more it could be just muscle growth

on and off for several years...actually playing seriously probably about a year. It's not from being new to guitar, but perhaps from being new to that style of music? never played metal nor stuff which required spanning that many frets that often. Also new to the speed.

So yeah, while not new to guitar I am new to the style. I feel in love with playing that stuff because it's so fun, but I think because of this I over did it by jumping in and playing the stuff for hours on end.
well just make sure you start stretching once you pick up the guitar again. both before and after practice.
Quote by JayLacelle
if you feel pain while playing guitar you are either:

1. new to guitar

or

2. not doing it right

if 1 then you will get the hang of it and the pain will go away, if 2 try and find out what the problem is

If he can play Protest the Hero and Human Abstract songs consistently I doubt that either of those is what's wrong with him.

I'd take a day or two off. You must have some massive ****ing chops man, I couldn't play that stuff for even an hour before my wrist would start getting sore.
Last edited by Dregen at Dec 7, 2009,
I have tendonitis that flairs up in my left wrist from time to time and I've been playing for over 20 years. You definitely should take a day off and let it rest and put some ice on it... should be good to go after that.
yeh take a day off playing man, i played 8 and 6 hours in consecutive days once, my wrist swelled like a beast but i was really pushing myself >_<.

took a day or so off and all was back to normal.
Shameless Advert-
---

Free Unlimited Picks, made by you in seconds with the Pick Punch @ PLETHORA PICKS .
The only store in the UK! 10% off sale now on!

---

Ty
Quote by Dregen
If he can play Protest the Hero and Human Abstract songs consistently I doubt that either of those is what's wrong with him.

I'd take a day or two off. You must have some massive ****ing chops man, I couldn't play that stuff for even an hour before my wrist would start getting sore.

haha, I'm alright man. I can't just knock their stuff out like it's no big deal. There stuff is hard as hell which is why I like to work on it...it's some of the most fun stuff I've found to play plus it constantly pushes you.

The wrist is feeling better today, but still a little sore (actually, not really my wrist, more my forearm) from the constant movement involved with their stuff. I'm tempted to play some more, but I know I "should" wait another day or so. I'm itching to play though, so it sucks.
Take a day off for now and see what happens. Sounds to me like you just pushed a bit hard and tired yourself out. You need to gradually increase your practice time and stretch and warm up if you're going to be doing mammoth shred sessions.