Since getting a job (finally), I've been saving up for a new piece of gear. I've got about $900 to spend, and I would love to get me a nice tube amp. I do smaller gigs, though I have two large jazz band concerts a year in a pretty big auditorium. So any suggestions on amps and wattage?
Try the Ampeg SVT3. Nice amp.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Tube bass amplifiers tend to be on the pricey side - more than US$900.00, I'm afraid. Try the Traynor YBA-200. It is a 200-watt all-tube amp that is right at the edge of your price range. It is a very good amplifier with a great tone and bulletproof construction (Traynors are known for that). You can also check out the Peavey VB-2. It is a 225-watt tube amp that Peavey is discontinuing to make room for the bigger VB-3, so it is on clearance at a few big musical instrument stores.
I'd recommend just walking into Guitar Center and shouting "I have $1000 to spend!" and just try out everything you can. Then say you need to think it over and go buy whatever you liked best used.
^ but if you do that the guitar center salesman will try to sell you a Peavey MAX for $1000.

I second FatalGear41's Traynor and Peavey suggestions, especially if you can find them used you can save a bit of cash.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I third the peavey vb-2. I own it and love it. definitely look into it. if you try it and have issues remember that the resonance and presence knobs seem to need to be kept low for the most part. I used to try to use the presence to come out in the mix. bad idea. i use it for tone a bit but not for true "presence".
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
look for a Traynor YBA 1A (MKII) they are relatively cheap and are awesome. Awesome. If you want to hear what one sounds like let me know...i'll send a link of me playing through one.

by cheap i mean 600-800 CAD (usually with a decent cab. and always used since they were made in the late 60's!) but if you you can find one in decent shape, i suggest swapping in some Winged C EL34 tubes for 50 bucks
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Last edited by epy at Dec 8, 2009,
Tube amps have a totally different tone. If you want this tone, then the pros outweigh the cons instantly.

I own a tube amp and the only problem i've had was a blown fuse, which can happen in a solid state amp too. Tube failure just isn't that common really as long as you replace the power tubes from time to time. Hell, I keep wanting to replace my power tubes because they're 3 years old this winter but haven't bothered yet . No problems. Also, preamp tubes rarely go out,especially in bass amps because you don't drive them as hard for the distortion as much, and even if they do go out it's a 5-10 minute fix. take a break at a gig and call it a smoke break between sets or something.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
i reccomend the svt3 pro or the svtCL if you wnt all tube
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E